banned
    panaracer pasela tourguard

mtbr member

winter park tire recommendations

I am planning for a trip to winter park/ keystone/ sol vista the end of this month and was wondering what tires I should bring.
    I am mainly a downhiller and will do any sane jumps and drops that a place has to offer. Ill probably be doing some pedaling, so have a lighter tire would be nice. (I am expecting to get lost a couple times since its my first time going).
    I usually run here in Arizona a 2.7 maxxis F up front and a 2.5 maxxis F in the rear with heavy duty slime tubes since the terrain here gets pretty rough. Also, I usually like to run around 40 psi. But that setup seems a bit over kill from the videos I've seen.

I know its all based on personal pref but what's a good setup for that area?

My leg feels funny
    Keystone/Sol I just run dual ply maxxis tires @30psi and rarely get flats. Winter park you could almost just run tubes and skip the tires all together

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    2.5 Minion DHF 3C front and back, regular tubes, no sealant, psi as needed. I'm 160lbs, run about 27psi front and 30psi rear. Enough traction in the chop and enough stability on the face of jumps and berms.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    2.5 Minion DHF 3C front and back, regular tubes, no sealant, psi as needed. I'm 160lbs, run about 27psi front and 30psi rear. Enough traction in the chop and enough stability on the face of jumps and berms.
    Same, except currently on a 60a rear, 28 psi ft, 35 rear, 200 lbs....

The 2.5 Minion DHF is the best tire I've used for dh, much better than the 2.7.... the biggest issue I have with them is super fast wear. These tires are for racers who don't pay for them or people who don't mind spending $150 on tires a few times a year. I've had great luck with the Conti Trail King 2.4 Black Chili tire on my trail bike, it lasts as long as a few sets sets of Maxxis 60a tires. I'm going to try the Conti Der Kaiser on the dh bike next.

percocet pioneer.
    Best tires I've ever used are Schwalbe Wicked Wills. I swear I could ride upside down with those suckers.

EDIT: 2.5" Front and back.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone!

I really like the DHFs for both front and back and was thinking about sticking with those. But it sounds like I might not need such a thick side wall for that area...
    If I go for the single plys and no sealant, I would shave 2-3 pounds, but then again walking my bike down with a torn tire would really ruin my day.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I really like the DHFs for both front and back and was thinking about sticking with those. But it sounds like I might not need such a thick side wall for that area...
    If I go for the single plys and no sealant, I would shave 2-3 pounds, but then again walking my bike down with a torn tire would really ruin my day.
    LOL... you're going down hill, a little weight won't hurt.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Thanks everyone!

I've had two flats on my big bike in the last 5 years and both of them were last year at Sol Vista. I have no idea why since it is less rocky than Angelfire or Keystone. The first was on a 4 ply Intense (although I was riding with really low pressure) and the second was on a 2 ply (I forget what I was running that day).

Unless you're hoping to make your bike light to check it on the airplane, bring 2 ply tires. You might not need them at WP, but if you're going to KS and SV, they are necessary IMO.

Edit: Oh, and DH tubes are a good idea too if you aren't running tubeless, but you don't need sealant here--no cacti at those elevations.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Thanks everyone!

Don't do it! Don't bother with single ply. 2.5 DHF with 2 ply casing is the ticket. There is a weight penalty, but you also get better damping out of a 2 ply DH tire than a single ply, handling in DH terrain will be much better.

Like Kristian said, don't bother with sealant, but my suggestion would be for regular tubes rather than DH. That will save you a bunch of rotational weight.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Don't do it! Don't bother with single ply. 2.5 DHF with 2 ply casing is the ticket. There is a weight penalty, but you also get better damping out of a 2 ply DH tire than a single ply, handling in DH terrain will be much better.
    +1 to this