mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Winter Park Resort Trestle Park vs. my kid

I'm planning a trip to Winter Park in late June. I grew up there so I want to show my 14 year old my old fishing and mountain biking spots. I want to spend a day or so riding at Winter Park but have haven't ridden the ski slopes since I did so illegally in the spring of '88 (something about a land-use agreement not allowing cycling back then - whole 'nother story).

Anyway, are there trails from the chair lift that are doable for a 14 year old w/ a FS XC bike? I don't really see him riding the hits and berms that I've seen posted on youtube, but I'd like him to have the benefit of riding downhill without having to climb a lot - we're coming from sea level. I plan on riding some trails around town as well, but I thought he'd enjoy the chairlift experience.

This all of course is dependent on the status of the trails at the time.

I can't wait to hit my old stomping grounds!! My last summer in Winter Park was 1989 during which I was lucky enough to be a mountain bike tour-guide for Adventureworks. Getting paid to ride my bike was a highlight of my youth!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Welcome back! I, too, grew up in Grand County and have been riding the trails there since I was a teen in the 90's.

Trails at Winter Park are spot on for what you want to do. There are a few harder runs like Trestle and Boulevard, but the blues and even Rainmaker (black jump run, not tech at all though) are fully ride-able by a novice on a hard tail. You don't need 8" of travel to enjoy it, and in most situations a shorter travel bike is actually better at WP. Only thing I would really suggest is get some burly tires and tubes, I see more people flatted than anything else.

LOTS has changed since '89. You will be shocked.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Stick to greens, and everyone will have a good time.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmeofun View Post
    but I'd like him to have the benefit of riding downhill without having to climb a lot
    Quit using the kid as an excuse. There's nothing wrong with *you* wanting to avoid the climbing. Embrace your old man, Old Man!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    no problem.. my kids are 8 and 11 and have no problem on the blues at WP and they are not hard core bikers, the greens on the lower part of the mountain end up being too flat for them...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the input. My kid is pretty good on the technical stuff around here, he just takes it slow. I know that some of the gravity / long travel guys get pissy when slow riders are on "their" course. I'd like it to be fun for my kid and not confrontational.

As for climbing... I can climb all day, but my kid is another story. He get's frustrated on long climbs when he has to push. Whenever we ride together he insists I take my singelspeed as he feels it evens the playing field! Sadly for him, I'm not taking my SS to Colorado!

bacon! bacon! bacon!

As for climbing... I can climb all day, but my kid is another story. He get's frustrated on long climbs when he has to push.
    You're missing an opportunity to tell him to HTFU.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input. My kid is pretty good on the technical stuff around here, he just takes it slow. I know that some of the gravity / long travel guys get pissy when slow riders are on "their" course. I'd like it to be fun for my kid and not confrontational.

As for climbing... I can climb all day, but my kid is another story. He get's frustrated on long climbs when he has to push. Whenever we ride together he insists I take my singelspeed as he feels it evens the playing field! Sadly for him, I'm not taking my SS to Colorado!
    Screw anybody that gets pissy with you.. i run "blocker" for my kids, i send them ahead, wait a bit and dont let anyone get in front of me, and then play catch up. It works well most of the time. If you hit WP during the week, its pretty quiet.

Really, i think most kids dont like climbing that much and teaching them the fun side of riding first is huge then they are willing to work for it..

check out Valmont bike park if you are in Boulder, my kids like that place
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Screw anybody that gets pissy with you.. i run "blocker" for my kids, i send them ahead, wait a bit and dont let anyone get in front of me, and then play catch up. It works well most of the time. If you hit WP during the week, its pretty quiet.

Really, i think most kids dont like climbing that much and teaching them the fun side of riding first is huge then they are willing to work for it..

check out Valmont bike park if you are in Boulder, my kids like that place
    We're planning on being there during the week. I'll avoid it for sure on the weekend. If we ride during the weekend, it will be from town. We have about 2 weeks at the end of the month with nothing planned. The wife can't make it, and my daughter has no interest in biking and fishing, so boys road trip to wherever.

My son does okay when we ride here. He rides his BMX to school everyday which is about 3 miles each way with a serious hill on the way home. That's gotten him somewhat conditioned for shorter rides. He gets better every time on his mountain bike because of it. I think that the chairlift experience will make it easier for him to ride longer and spend more time on the bike. Not to mention we're coming from sea level, so I'll be gasping as well.

As for the DBs on long travel, we get them around here on some of our local XC trails. They'll push the climb and then ***** when they catch up to guys on hardtails on the descent. Sadly those guys have a couple hour drive to any chairlift dowhills or shuttle runs, so they tend to gravitate to the areas not really suited for their style or attitude. Not that all of them are like that, it's just the 10% that are *******s make the rest look bad, same as with any group I suppose.

I'm really looking forward to riding my hometown again. I know it's changed a lot in the 24 years I've been gone, but I've visited often enough that it won't be a complete shock w/ the beetle kill and growth. I've just never had the chance to bring my bike and fishing gear before (full family trips). Now i won't have my wife tapping her foot as I admire some ancient landmark that means nothing to anyone... And I won't have to hear her complain about eating at Dino's... again.

lucky enough
    Sounds like it'll be a nice trip.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Funny, most of the DBs I encounter are short travel . I would suspect that perspective has more relevance here than fork length.

Trestle's safety rules would be the best reference in this situation.

"Trail etiquette keeps the bike park safer and more fun for everyone. Remember to always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them. If you are overtaking a rider, notify them verbally and select an area where you are not braiding/widening the trail. Do not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above. Whenever starting downhill or merging onto a trail, look uphill and yield to others. Finally, keep the bike park fun! You will likely experience riders of varying abilities. Be patient, and give folks the chance to progress to your level in a chill environment."

I personally prefer Whistler's rules of no-passing on a (some) green/blue. I like to think this keep the novices off of A-Line in comparison to the people I see wandering onto Rainmaker.

I will stick with my original advice of sticking to greens

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    Do not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
    Holy Hell I wish people would remember this one

-DB
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Holy Hell I wish people would remember this one

-DB
    Here is a training video for when people forget.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I almost pooped my pants when I first saw that video, soooo funny!

I mean, she picked up her bike, and tried to spear him with it...

I keep thinking I've seen the dumbest behavior ever with clips like this, and then someone comes along and tops it...

There is always someone.

Part #2

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

This is classic

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Only proper response for that is:

"Come at me Bro!"