Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: suicideMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10

    Winter Park Mountain Bike Series - Super Downhill course

    I'll be in winter park on Monday and wanted to practice this course for the race the following weekend. Does anyone know what trial or what course this race will follow or has in the past?

  2. #2
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    You may want to ask this same question on the MSC web page as well. www.racemsc.com
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  3. #3
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by suicideMike
    I'll be in winter park on Monday and wanted to practice this course for the race the following weekend. Does anyone know what trial or what course this race will follow or has in the past?
    super-D at WP generally is Shy Anne to Long Trail from Five Points. You start with a run on fire road, a little climbing on fire road then drop down shy anne until five points. Climb up Long Trail and then Long trail to the bottom perhaps with that silly new section across to boulevard finish.

    It is a really fun Super-D trail. with good passing opportunities.

  4. #4
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Super D's are crap unless they're timed. But better Super D courses are like the one at WP, passing opportunities are key.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    150
    I'm expecting big things from suicideMIKE...just a hunch.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    52
    Shy Ann - Five Points - Long Trail - Jury Duty - Boulevard.

    http://www.epicsingletrack.com/defau.../race4des.html

    It's a money Super D course. It'll suit a wide range of riders and there's tons of passing.

  7. #7
    rider of bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    859
    Agreed, that route makes for a really good Super D course. I have posted helmet cam video of said route in a couple threads.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,263
    How's about taking it down Bootcamp for last leg?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

  9. #9
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    How's about taking it down Bootcamp for last leg?
    because the xc guys will go around the jumps. SuperD's should have the worst gnar on the DH... Super D's cater too much to XC bikes... IMHO.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,263
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    because the xc guys will go around the jumps. SuperD's should have the worst gnar on the DH... Super D's cater too much to XC bikes... IMHO.
    So, "super" should be changed to "spendex"?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    because the xc guys will go around the jumps. SuperD's should have the worst gnar on the DH... Super D's cater too much to XC bikes... IMHO.
    Funny you mention that, considering the last time I rode down Boot Camp on my XC bike (After the Hill Climb) I hit all the jumps, in full sausage casing, while passing a number of people on DH bikes. And yes, my seatpost was at full extension, despite the condescending warnings of the race official: "We urge you to descend the trails after the race, but this is a bike park, you WILL get into trouble with your saddle up." Or something obnoxious like that.

    And don't you mean "best" gnar?

  12. #12
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    Funny you mention that, considering the last time I rode down Boot Camp on my XC bike (After the Hill Climb) I hit all the jumps, in full sausage casing, while passing a number of people on DH bikes. And yes, my seatpost was at full extension, despite the condescending warnings of the race official...
    Ok, sure.. There are always a few mutants out there that blow the power curve. But even though you are so fast that you vaporize people on DH bikes, don't you think you might be able to do so even faster on something a little more... All-mountain-y? I mean, if you think you're fast now, wait until you ride a bike set up for that type of terrain. Or maybe you have some deficiency or handicap that completely inhibits your ability to ride big-boy bikes while at the same time dramatically increases your riding ability on and XC bike.
    I admire the abilities of those rare riders who perform at or above the peer level on undergunned or even antiquated bikes. It's amazing to see somebody ripping along a gnarly trail on a 1996 paramount spinning psycho-k's... Kinda in the same way it's wild to see guys riding Muni's.
    However.... when that charm wears off I am left a little sad. I am left to wonder what someone with so much talent could have done with appropriate/modern equipment. What could Einstein have done with a graphing calculator or Large Hadron Collider? What could Tesla have done with a Logic analyzer? Fausto Coppi with EPO?
    The world will never know.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    35
    I am thinking about racing this one also, never done a Super D, do guys wear full face helmets? Probably wouldn't hurt eh? Unless the climbs are really long???

  14. #14
    Total Goober
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackspeeder
    I am thinking about racing this one also, never done a Super D, do guys wear full face helmets? Probably wouldn't hurt eh? Unless the climbs are really long???
    If you look at the photos from last year, 90% of racers are wearing their regular helmets. Very few pads, also.

    http://winterparkmountainbicycleseri.../crankworx/221

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Ok, sure.. There are always a few mutants out there that blow the power curve. But even though you are so fast that you vaporize people on DH bikes, don't you think you might be able to do so even faster on something a little more... All-mountain-y? I mean, if you think you're fast now, wait until you ride a bike set up for that type of terrain. Or maybe you have some deficiency or handicap that completely inhibits your ability to ride big-boy bikes while at the same time dramatically increases your riding ability on and XC bike.
    I admire the abilities of those rare riders who perform at or above the peer level on undergunned or even antiquated bikes. It's amazing to see somebody ripping along a gnarly trail on a 1996 paramount spinning psycho-k's... Kinda in the same way it's wild to see guys riding Muni's.
    However.... when that charm wears off I am left a little sad. I am left to wonder what someone with so much talent could have done with appropriate/modern equipment. What could Einstein have done with a graphing calculator or Large Hadron Collider? What could Tesla have done with a Logic analyzer? Fausto Coppi with EPO?
    The world will never know.
    Brevity would have better suited such an obvious response. There are too many assumptions in there to bother with a rebuttal.

    Besides, won't IndecentExposure come on here claiming his insinuation that XC racers are a bunch of skill-less hacks was stated in good-natured jest, and that I shouldn't take myself too seriously? Except that I've already done it for him.

    Finally, I think I've spent as much money on my "All-mountain-y" bike and "All-mountain-y" gear as I have on my Spendex. Here's my assumption: If you saw me in two separate instances while out riding the trails, once wearing my sausage casing and riding my "undergunned" bike, and another time wearing my brah-suit and riding my "all-mountain-y" bike, you'd be incapable of looking past the uniform and making your own judgements about my character and riding ability. I'm tired of all of the people who perpetuate cliches and stereotypes.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackspeeder
    I am thinking about racing this one also, never done a Super D, do guys wear full face helmets? Probably wouldn't hurt eh? Unless the climbs are really long???
    I'd say if you're uncomfortable riding in the vicinity of, and attempting to pass, others at a decent speed without a full-face, then wear it.

  17. #17
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    Brevity would have better suited such an obvious response. There are too many assumptions in there to bother with a rebuttal.

    Besides, won't IndecentExposure come on here claiming his insinuation that XC racers are a bunch of skill-less hacks was stated in good-natured jest, and that I shouldn't take myself too seriously? Except that I've already done it for him.

    Finally, I think I've spent as much money on my "All-mountain-y" bike and "All-mountain-y" gear as I have on my Spendex. Here's my assumption: If you saw me in two separate instances while out riding the trails, once wearing my sausage casing and riding my "undergunned" bike, and anothertime wearing my brah-suit and riding my "all-mountain-y" bike, you'd be incapable of looking past the uniform and making your own judgements about my character and riding ability. I'm tired of all of the people who perpetuate cliches and stereotypes.
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!
    Take it easy on the haterade. All I meant was that Mario Andretti could go faster in a Formula 1 racer than in a Buick. Jebus. The point I apparently failed to make was that skill can transcend equipment, but skill with appropriate equipment is synergistic. You want to be all DH aggro in your self-described "sausage casing" and your XC bike than go for it. Although after your response I think a better description would be "body condom" as it apparently covers a total d!ck. I really don't care what you wear or what you ride, but you certainly do. Nor do I care how much money you spend on well... on anything actually.
    You seem to be having a stressful day. Maybe this is normal. In either case I hope you have a pleasant 4th. Go light some snakes or sparklers or something.

  18. #18
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackspeeder
    I am thinking about racing this one also, never done a Super D, do guys wear full face helmets? Probably wouldn't hurt eh? Unless the climbs are really long???
    IF you have the opportunity to bring both, do. Check out the course during a cruising-speed practice run and see what you're comfortable with.

  19. #19
    To be continued
    Reputation: Tempest3070's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    379
    I think that "hit the jumps" is likely relative to each rider.

    I rode this today fwiw and it was fun.
    P3575303RDH

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!
    Take it easy on the haterade. All I meant was that Mario Andretti could go faster in a Formula 1 racer than in a Buick. Jebus. The point I apparently failed to make was that skill can transcend equipment, but skill with appropriate equipment is synergistic. You want to be all DH aggro in your self-described "sausage casing" and your XC bike than go for it. Although after your response I think a better description would be "body condom" as it apparently covers a total d!ck. I really don't care what you wear or what you ride, but you certainly do. Nor do I care how much money you spend on well... on anything actually.
    You seem to be having a stressful day. Maybe this is normal. In either case I hope you have a pleasant 4th. Go light some snakes or sparklers or something.
    Did you read any of the posts I was refering to? Did you read my original one? Doesn't seem like it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9
    yeti asr or cannondale prophet?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by p lo
    yeti asr or cannondale prophet?
    Prophet.

  23. #23
    Slopestyle Rider
    Reputation: joelalamo45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Although after your response I think a better description would be "body condom" as it apparently covers a total d!ck.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice!
    Oh god, Now I have to apologize to you, SubliminalShiver. Our exchange has inadvertantly aligned you with this inchworm. Here's a private message I received from him some time ago:

    "So you seem to be a **** talker. Call me and let's meet up to discuss.

    Joel
    XXX-XXX-XXXX:"

    Seems pretty innocent, right? Brave even, to give his phone number. I think he simply learned, as monkeys do from time to time, to mask his attempts at intimidation with threats of violence from a previous online altercation, when he pm'd another member threatening him. Sadly, I can't find the thread, it was pretty entertaining. I do recall him backing off after having it pointed out to him that he made the mistake of including personal information in the PM, making his identity easily traceable, should the threatened person have chosen to file charges. Who knows, maybe that person will pop in?


    Before Joelalamo45 continues to devolve this with his mob-mentality, Here's a brief recap:

    Pau11y: Boot Camp should be included.

    IE: No, XC guys can't jump. Super-D's should use more difficult terrain. [I agree that some should. But not all races should be the same.]

    Pau11y: "Super" should be changed to "spendex".

    Me: IE is wrong. I had just raced the Hill Climb, hence the XC bike. [You seemed to have missed this point. I would never choose to ride my "undergunned" bike down that, but that's what I rode, quite slowly, to the top.] I think I'm awesome, blah, blah, blah . . .

    SS: You should ride a bike fit for the purpose. And, sarcastically, "You're an egoist." [An appproach that could be argued to be "hatorade". Actually, you're right, I am an egoist.]

    Me: Hatorade back at you. What I should have said: I wasn't riding my all-mountain-y bike because . . . see above. My explanation about my spending habits was a refutation of Pau11y's insinuation that XC racers spend a lot of money to look a part, regardless of ability. [Doesn't everyone who spends a lot of money on bike stuff? I think we all look silly. I'm comfortable with that.]

    You (SS): Reiterates what we clearly agree upon. Seemingly offended. [I'm sorry, I'm a jerk. But you started it.] Also, Nice job expounding on my already self-reflexive jab.

    Tempest3070: Perioeci sucks at jumping. [That's true.]

    Joelalamo45: "I'm a cretin."

    For our benefit, I skipped all the useful information in this thread.

  25. #25
    Slopestyle Rider
    Reputation: joelalamo45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,452
    Sorry that you're offended Nancy, but his response to you was epic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •