mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Smile Winter Park June 14-16??

Need some advice.Want to ride 3 day with my 22 yo son.Flying in from Texas.Would like recomendations for lodging,bike rentals,favorite trails.I race cat 1 xc so pretty comfortable.He used to race but not so much any more.Thanks for any information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The phases in tabernash are fun and are all rideable right now. Granby ranch has some fun XC riding and is in great shape. We will have to wait and see what dries out by your trip. Everything else is pretty muddy right now. Stop in at Totally Wired in Fraser and talk to Dougie when you get in town and he can send you to good dry trails.
    Bike rentals, Icebox Mountain sports in Fraser has Specialized rentals and Beaver Sports in Winter Park has some Trek and Salsa cross country bike rentals. That is the only decent bike rentals in town
    Lodging, there is a hostel in Fraser that is pretty nice and reasonable. Also check a rent by owner website and get a condo.
    You can always rent a DH bike for a day and hit WP or Granby Ranch. WP has free ride Fridays that is a great deal for a couple hours of fun. I hope we have a lot more trails dry by then but we will see. And a lot of trails are covered with down trees right now so we will see what the Forest Service does between now and then. We have been cutting them as they fall but it is hard to keep up with a handsaw.
    Last edited by dtimms; 06-03-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just for the record, there will be no Freeride Friday on June 14th though. Trestle opens for the season on the 15th. Plus I think the late hours on wednesdays and Fridays don't start until a couple weeks into their season - like July-ish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As of June 10th, Grandby Ranch dry, Phases dry, St Louis Camp ground area 99% dry some good size mud puddles on Chainsaw, WTB/Ds dry with a couple of down trees on WTB. Tipperary still has some snow and is wet but should be good in a week or two. That is all I rode, have fun.

mtbr member
    In terms of lodging I would recommend staying in the town of Winter Park as opposed to the resort as you can still ride to plenty of trails and be close to restaurants and bars. If you do get accommodation up at the resort it is about 5 miles from town so if you want to grab a bite after 6pm be prepared to drive. Granby is about 20 minutes from WP but definitely worth the drive for XC
    You only crashed because you weren't going fast enough