Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Winter Park to Golden by MTB

Anyybody have any good routes mapped out? Best way to get from Rollingsville to White Ranch?

Going to Winter Park in a few weeks, would like to bike home, easy as that....or is it?

mtbr member
    Nothing, nada, zippo, empty bag, nobody has done this?

rubber side down
    There are a bunch of threads about riding from Nederland to WP...Just search on that then make up your own way to tie in with Golden. A friend of mine and I were discussing this very thing the other day. Ride to the top of White Ranch, then lots of roadie to Ned. Then up and over to WP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    He isn't asking about Nederland to WP - he is asking rollinsville to White Ranch. I think you want to look at a road map and get yourself down gap rd or or one of the other roads off of the peak to peak that leads to golden gate st park which can link to white ranch. There are 2 main roads off the highway to get to golden gate and I bet to have minimal time on the highway you'll want to take the furtherest north road (which I think is gap rd, but could be wrong).

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    He isn't asking about Nederland to WP - he is asking rollinsville to White Ranch. I think you want to look at a road map and get yourself down gap rd or or one of the other roads off of the peak to peak that leads to golden gate st park which can link to white ranch. There are 2 main roads off the highway to get to golden gate and I bet to have minimal time on the highway you'll want to take the furtherest north road (which I think is gap rd, but could be wrong).
    So consult maps.google.com. God this forum sucks.

mtbr member
    I think you're going to end up doing mostly road riding with, perhaps, some trails to get to White Ranch.

mtbr member
    Searched Nederland to Winterpark, someone listed it as an epic ride but that was in a "give me a list of your epic rides" thread and there was no info.

Maybe I am just an interwebtard but I cound't find anything.

Thanks Labelle, It looks like Gap Rd borders the north end of GG and eventually connects up with Coal Creek and Drew Hill borders the south end on the east side and would lead me to White Ranch on a mostly dirt road. I have actually ridden a little of that on a road bike exploring from Golden but the bumpy dirt got annoying on a road bike so I never figured out where it led.

So here is the plan:

Winter park up and over Rollins(?) pass to Rollinsville, looks like about 5 miles on the Peak to Peak to Gap Rd, through Golden Gate park to Drew Hill Rd, 7 or 8 miles on Drew to White Ranch to home sweet home.

Looks like 28 or so miles and 2.5-3.5k ft of climbing and only ~5-6 miles on paved road, sounds like a very doable adventure for a Sunday morning.

Bad Andy!
    Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    So consult maps.google.com. God this forum sucks.
    ^^^
    moar lulz plz.
    A little sensitive are we?

OP:
    1. What day?
    2. Want company?
    3. Are you superman? Cuz this won't be easy.
    4. The road up from Golden Gate to White Ranch is tough by itself. After however many miles to this point, it may kill a guy.
    5. Do an extensive MTBR search - I seem to remember a post a few years ago from a guy that did this with a kid???!!!

Edit - Bob, I have a strange feeling your mileage and vertical are way off.

Goat of Legend
    Bob, my Garmin GPS data is messing up but I would say your actually looking at around 50-60 miles with 6-7 ft of elevation. Don't discount Drew Hill especially if your gonna be going through Golden Gate and finishing in White Ranch. That'd be a hard days ride for sure. Respect if you complete it.

Bad Andy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I bet kosayno would be up for this. He never trains but he apparently likes epics.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    OP:
    1. What day?
    2. Want company?
    3. Are you superman? Cuz this won't be easy.
    4. The road up from Golden Gate to White Ranch is tough by itself. After however many miles to this point, it may kill a guy.
    5. Do an extensive MTBR search - I seem to remember a post a few years ago from a guy that did this with a kid???!!!
    1. Going to do this on Sunday June 24th
    2. Would love company, probably leave WP 9-10ish, will be up there with the family over the weekend, pm me.
    3. My kids think so, but the reality is I'm a 48yr old, 240pd middle aged dad guy, I did the Battle of the Bear 20 miler in 1:53 or so last weekend and that put me in the back quarter of the pack.
    4. Taking Drew Hill rd east to White Ranch from the state park I get to skip the roller coaster part of Drew Hill from Golden Gate to White Ranch. Coming back on my road back on that section is still my fastest recorded bike speed at 50mph just after they newly paved it 4 or 5 years ago.
    5. Again, I must be a interwebtard, I tried a few searches and just gave up.

Here's the route from Rollinsville to White Ranch, I know there is a rippin singletrack trail from Gap to Drew Hill but for simplicity I just followed the road between the two:

gmap-pedometer.com

Just saw Goat's message, I didn't realize the pass was that much climbing, I had done it 10 years ago and since it's an old railroad grade it seemed pretty mellow, never more than 6%.

So 20 miles between Rollingsville and White ranch unless GMAPs is really f'd up, add another 10-15 between WPand Rollinsville and say 5 through White Ranch to N. Golden and I can't see more than 40 unless I'm way off on WP to Rollinsville.

Goat of Legend
    Bob, here ya go...White Ranch To Golden Gate now this goes around Golden Gate and White Ranch so I'd say actual mileage if you include them is closer to 50 miles but also harder. If you go the Golden Gate route, I'd suggest taking Gap Rd to Mule deer...1st quarter mile will be a hike a bike uphill over large rocks ( fun the other way), to Snowshoe Hare, down Buffalo..then the kicker...Mtn Lion the right way...which is left and up for a bit before the good techy downhill or right which would be an easier way to Drew Hill but again left is the goods. Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Bob, my Garmin GPS data is messing up but I would say your actually looking at around 50-60 miles with 6-7 ft of elevation. Don't discount Drew Hill especially if your gonna be going through Golden Gate and finishing in White Ranch. That'd be a hard days ride for sure. Respect if you complete it.
    This.....is more realistic, it is a big ride. I have never done it, but plan on at least an 8 hour day.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Meh. You can do that ride before lunch.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden View Post

Just saw Goat's message, I didn't realize the pass was that much climbing, I had done it 10 years ago and since it's an old railroad grade it seemed pretty mellow, never more than 6%.
    That climb won't be so bad. Its the smaller but steeper climbs afterwards that'll add up. Its not the 1st long climb I worry about. Its accumulation of all that gets me and Drew Hill is a sum a biotch

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody, I think I have a good handle on what's to be expected, more than I expected, almost epic and to top it off, something a six yr old can do according to the old thread.

So it's man up against a six yr old. I didn't even take into account the conditions, as it sounds like they went a week later in the old thread and still had a lot of hike a bike through the snow. Given conditions this year I would hope that's not an issue but I guess we shall see.

Bad Andy!
    Def. interested - will be in touch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks everybody, I think I have a good handle on what's to be expected, more than I expected, almost epic and to top it off, something a six yr old can do according to the old thread...
    Thanks for putting this out there... I am new to the area and have been searching the threads for idea's... I LOVE THIS ONE!

It inspired me to look through the Strava webs and see where and how people have been crossing Rollins Pass...
    Here is what I found...

We are also going to head over to Winter Park this weekend... I might have to "race" the good lady home on Sunday...

thanks again... I hope the Strava link helps...

mtbr member
    Holy schnikey, if it took Alison Powers 4 hours to get to her house between Boulder and Nederland from Frazier, I should be out there for a couple of days.

..ouch
    1. Going to do this on Sunday June 24th
    Cool. you takin' snowshoes?

So 20 miles between Rollingsville and White ranch unless GMAPs is really f'd up, add another 10-15 between WPand Rollinsville and say 5 through White Ranch to N. Golden and I can't see more than 40 unless I'm way off on WP to Rollinsville.
    it's a 14 mile climb from winter park to the top of the pass. ~3000 feet
    i think if you stick to the road it's ~25 from the top of the pass to the town of rollinsville. doesn't take much effort....but it's still well over an hour on the bike.

Nothing, nada, zippo, empty bag, nobody has done this?
    pm'd

you gotta take the time to venture off the rollinspass rd or everything but elk/mule deer/mtn lion and a couple miles in white ranch will be a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    Cool. you takin' snowshoes?
    i was just on top of shavano last weekend in shorts and a tee shirt and the snowpack looked like end-of-july. there can't be that much snow in this area either.
    Last edited by nomit; 06-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    we did Ned to WP last year,pretty fun route. Since then I've wanted to connect the whole thing from Golden, let me know how it goes. I cant join you on the 24th, but I'll join ya next time.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    i was just on top of shavano last weekend in shorts and a tee shirt and the snowpack looked like end-of-july. there can't be that much snow in this area either.
    I got shutdown by snowbanks on both the Guinn route and near the end of Jenny last week... but both are in the trees.. and it was certainly the earliest I've ever made it as far as we did.

If the main road is clear to Yankee Doodle then I'm sure the BWR will be clear - except maybe the switchbacks to avoid the steep hike-a-bike. I'd be surprised is the trestles are clear for several weeks though.

While we had a really light snow year, the record winds left some serious drifts on the east slopes of the divide.

Bad Andy!
    Bump for a trip report.

Come on Bob - don't leave us hangin.
    Did you do the shorter version with your friend that you mentioned to me?
    Nothing at all?
    Come on - spill the beans...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast