Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: preparation_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    774

    Winter park double Whammy!

    Bout time to get this show on the road!
    Who's planning on racing this weekend?

  2. #2
    Philze
    Reputation: philze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    118

    I'm in

    Should interesting with the new mountain circuit on sunday.
    [SIZE=5]Aaron T. Collins[/SIZE]

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    25
    I'm in for both races. I rode both courses last Sunday. Should be fun! Glad there is no mud.

  4. #4
    Trail Sanitizer
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    463
    I plan on racing the Sunday course. Hill climbs suck.

  5. #5
    Beer
    Reputation: Endo King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by guilow
    I'm in for both races. I rode both courses last Sunday. Should be fun! Glad there is no mud.
    So do you recall how long it took you to ride the Sunday course? I realize it probably wasn't at race pace.

  6. #6
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,984
    I was planning on heading up to WP to do some DH. Can anyone tell me if they think that's going to be a bad idea with all the racing going on? Or are the races well away from the lift-serviced trails. BTW good luck to all you races!!
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  7. #7
    Trail Sanitizer
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    I was planning on heading up to WP to do some DH. Can anyone tell me if they think that's going to be a bad idea with all the racing going on? Or are the races well away from the lift-serviced trails. BTW good luck to all you races!!
    The race on Saturday will be at the resort on the main fire road up to Mary Jane. The race on Sunday starts at the resort but finishes well away from there.

  8. #8
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,984
    Great, thanks for the info.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13
    I'll be there sucking wind. Too bad they couldn't have held the hill climb last week, Sunday races blow. And I'm totally bummed that they changed the course. I really loved the roots and mud on that old course. It required some serious technical ability and reminded me of riding back east. Just remember, it's a mountain bike race, it's supposed to be hard.

  10. #10
    Time to go farther
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,318
    Be there for both. CU Tri duds on a Fuel. Expert 19-24
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

  11. #11
    Trail Sanitizer
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by zoopa
    I'll be there sucking wind. Too bad they couldn't have held the hill climb last week, Sunday races blow. And I'm totally bummed that they changed the course. I really loved the roots and mud on that old course. It required some serious technical ability and reminded me of riding back east. Just remember, it's a mountain bike race, it's supposed to be hard.
    Yes, a mountain bike race is supposed to be hard. However, the amount of damage done to the trail was huge. Not worth it IMO.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13

    Sorry Bulldozer...

    ...I wasn't really tryign to come off like a punk and definitely don't advocate for trail damage. I can live without the mud. It's the root sections and the horrendous log bridges that I'm going to miss. However, I can definitely see where the combination of high traffic and deep mudholes would be a nightmare for trail maintenance. Given the quality of their other courses I am sure that this one will prove to be good as well.

  13. #13
    Trail Sanitizer
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by zoopa
    ...I wasn't really tryign to come off like a punk and definitely don't advocate for trail damage. I can live without the mud. It's the root sections and the horrendous log bridges that I'm going to miss. However, I can definitely see where the combination of high traffic and deep mudholes would be a nightmare for trail maintenance. Given the quality of their other courses I am sure that this one will prove to be good as well.
    You just had to go and mention those roots, didn't ya??? I had put those out of my mind until I read your post. Thanks a lot...............

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    13

    Fond memories...

    Well, I grew up riding on the east coast (Upstate NY & VT) and slick roots and rocks were basically the norm. In fact, one of the first races I ever rode was the 1990 Norba national at Mt. Snow VT. There was a section of the XC course that literally went down the midle of a flowing drainage creek for about 75 - 100 feet and then up the bank and over a 10 - 15 foot section of exposed roots. I had just turned 15 at the time and was one of the few stupid enough to ride it insted of hike a bike. As I recall i made it about 50 feet and went OTB into the water. The highlight of the weekend for me was watching Johnny-T pop out of the woods onto a section of ski trail right after that water crossing...

  15. #15
    Trail Sanitizer
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    463
    I must say that I'd rather eat dust than mud. The Sunday course was nearly bone dry. That was only my second lap/circuit race and I liked it. However, having to climb a really steep, rooted and sandy lung-searing section sucked all three times.

    I missed my first-ever top 10 finish because some jackass walking the very last steep section decided to step in front of me on the course. I had two guys walking on my left and this winner on my right. As I was going up this hill I said (not shouted) "Let's move it, guys." Me and a couple of guys behind me were riding it and I had to get off the bike because of this guy only to get passed. I finished less than 2 seconds out of tenth place. Thanks to you Mr. Lime Green Specialized In An Idaho Jersey.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: preparation_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer

    I missed my first-ever top 10 finish because some jackass walking the very last steep section decided to step in front of me on the course. I had two guys walking on my left and this winner on my right. As I was going up this hill I said (not shouted) "Let's move it, guys." Me and a couple of guys behind me were riding it and I had to get off the bike because of this guy only to get passed. I finished less than 2 seconds out of tenth place. Thanks to you Mr. Lime Green Specialized In An Idaho Jersey.
    No need to publicly flog him. There's always gonna be circumstances like these when you run circuit races.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    No need to publicly flog him? I disagree. All people committing shameless acts of stupidity in public should be publicly flogged, at least metaphorically. The guy clearly knew riders were approaching. Perhaps he stepped into the trail because he was offended by the way Bulldozer phrased his warning? If that's the case, his reaction was only a consequence of his own vanity. Maybe I'm not seeing all the angles--I wasn't there--but I can't think of an excuse for his action.

    Then again, I'm on my third beer.

  18. #18
    Trail Sanitizer
    Reputation: Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    No need to publicly flog him. There's always gonna be circumstances like these when you run circuit races.
    We weren't on the circuit. We had turned off the circuit to the finish stretch which had another steep climb and some walkers. We were within 100 yards of the finish.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •