mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Winter mountain biking, not fat biking, on front range?

I'm new to the area and am wondering how long the mountain bike season on the front range is? Can you mountain bike the denver front range trails in the winter months without having to deal with snow and mud too often?

Thanks.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Winter mountain biking, not fat biking, on front range?

I have lived here my whole life and ridden 20+ years here.

The answer is that it just depends on the winter.

I have ridden dry trails in Evergreen days before Christmas and also had snow as early as October.

We do tend to get warm-ups where it melts off completely but especially in Jan and Feb the cold temps can make the snow stick around.

The last few years I have ridden year round and outfitted an old HT with larger tires etc. A pseudo-fat, but after the hikers do their job (usually in a matter of a day or so after a snow) on the local trails it works quite well as long as you have your clothing figured out as well. And, when it does warm up enough to melt and make a mess by late am, the tenacious rider can pull frozen dawn patrols avoiding the mud and I have had some amazing rides this way.

Finally, again, just depending on the winter, if we get it bad here in The Denver area you can often escape north or south and find dry trails or even the occasional mid winter Grand Jct pick me up IF conditions are right out there.

Anyway, I've been successful at riding year round and was proud to only hit the trainer twice last year. It takes some planning and diligence at times but we can easily ride over 90% of the year.

Again, the main thing is to experiment and figure out your clothing (layering, foot warmth, hand warmth, changing at top when necessary etc.) Then it's also just being willing to get out and get going when it's that cold. I find a good 10 minutes into the ride that things start warming up (though there's also an art to not allowing your body to get too hot in certain cold temps). Have fun. PM me if you want some company. I live in Golden.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Lots of threads about winter riding, weather and clothing are the only limits, and if you have the clothing, the weather isn't a limiter. 20 years in steamboat and fewer than 10 days on a trainer, sold it years ago. But we do have skiing when the snow piles up. Roll with the weather or winter can be frustrating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like it depends on the year, but I've got someone visiting from the east coast who would like to snowboard and mountain bike during the same trip if at all possible. Temperature won't be a problem, but I'm hoping they can come during the winter sometime and still get a taste of (dry) Colorado mountain biking without having to drive to Grand Junction or mess around with mud and slush on the front range. I just don't want to be trying to show them our great trails when we're having to trudge around in snow.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    Sounds like it depends on the year, but I've got someone visiting from the east coast who would like to snowboard and mountain bike during the same trip if at all possible. Temperature won't be a problem, but I'm hoping they can come during the winter sometime and still get a taste of (dry) Colorado mountain
    biking without having to drive to Grand Junction or
    mess around with mud and slush on the front
    range. I just don't want to be trying to show them
    our great trails when we're having to trudge
    around in snow.
    Well as already stated when it does snow it usually
    melts pretty quick and intermittent dry ups. The
    term "slushy" IMO is an east ciast term. Where the snow has a high water content. So when it melts you get very watery slushy conditions. Here in northern Colorado the snow is very low in water content. A dry snow that is why the skiing is so
    good here. That's not to say the trails don't get
    muddy. But not even close to how wet it gets back
    east. The low water content and our lack of heavy
    snowfall keep us pretty much able to ride right
    through the winter.Of course each year is different
    and there are some time periods where riding isn't
    an option. But those are usually no longer than a
    week or two. It's all about good luck and timing
    when visiters come from out of state.
    But the odds are on your side that you will have
    good enough weather to ride.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Training-Wheels View Post
    Sounds like it depends on the year, but I've got someone visiting from the east coast who would like to snowboard and mountain bike during the same trip if at all possible. Temperature won't be a problem, but I'm hoping they can come during the winter sometime and still get a taste of (dry) Colorado mountain biking without having to drive to Grand Junction or mess around with mud and slush on the front range. I just don't want to be trying to show them our great trails when we're having to trudge around in snow.
    Lake Pueblo State Park is often a good bet during the winter months. It's usually drier and warmer in Pueblo than here in the Denver-Metro area. You can put on the miles out on the XC loops, or play on the techy stuff in the canyons. Plus the group that maintains the trails at LPSP does a good job of updating trail conditions.
    Southern Colorado Trail Builders
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.