Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter gloves?

Now older but less slow!

Winter gloves?

I could do with some new warmer winter gloves as my go to gloves for foul weather (which are 20 years old) have finally kicked the bucket.

Looking for gloves which are good for temperatures down to about 10F and preferably waterproof. Ideas?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 11-13-2012 at 10:27 AM.

@trailgrinder
    Pearl Izumi NASA great lineup of winter gear, I like the gloves that have a little mitten that you can roll up and hide on the top of the glove for the times when you need a little more warmth. You just need to find that perfect medium between the gloves that are too hot and bulky and the functional lighter warm style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Neoprene gloves?

amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XEC7W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

My winter cycling gloves are not warm enough on 30 degree days and my ski gloves are too bulky for riding comfortably. Neoprene was recommended to me, they are inexpensive and supposed to articulate well. I ordered the above pair, I'll let you know how they work out.

Now older but less slow!
    I'd be curious as to how the neoprene gloves deal with sweat build up on this inside. That you be my fear.

mtbr member
    10 degrees might be pushing it a little but I've used these down into the low 20's with no ill effects, not too bulky and they are CHEAP!

Large All-Purpose Winter Gloves-2180L at The Home Depot

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I'd be curious as to how the neoprene gloves deal with sweat build up on this inside. That you be my fear.
    The recommendation came with the caveat that the sweat accumulation will be significant and to turn the gloves inside-out to dry & clean them after the ride.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wankel View Post
    10 degrees might be pushing it a little but I've used these down into the low 20's with no ill effects, not too bulky and they are CHEAP!

That's a great price $10 can't be beat.

I'm going to pick up a pair of these even though I just ordered a pair of Pearl Izumi PRO SOFTSHELL WXB 3X1 gloves as well.

I'll let you know how the PI $90 gloves compare against a $10 pair of gloves....

Team Inflexible
    So I have been playing around with glove set ups the past few winters and have come up with the holy grail of cold riding gloves (well at least for me)

The trick is to by a pair of wind proof riding gloves like the specialized equinox or Pearl Izumi's and get them a size big. Then layer em with a pair of smart wool glove liners.

You can still grip the bars excellent and my hands stay toasty warm well below freezing.

If the temps are in the teens or below I may wear my lobster claws or some lighter ski gloves at that point.

Rolling
    I find the neoprene gloves aren't very good below freezing...no matter what they say. But maybe it's my fingers ciculation or/ and the neoprene gloves don't assume you are riding at 15 mph.

Lobster gloves are the best option I have ever found. Keeping those fingers together is so awesome.

The pearl Amphibs are second best.

BTW, Pearl Lobsters are pricey, but craft makes a great pair for less.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I like Fox Polar Paws for 37-55 degrees, below that I use lightly insulated 'lobster' style gloves.

Now older but less slow!

I picked up a pair of those gloves tonight and tried them while walking the dog. The temp was 33F and I was out an hour. After about 1/2 hour my hands started to get real cold and the fingers started to 'burn'. I was walking slow as I was with my kids so perhaps they would be better if my core was working hard cycling, however I would not be too optimistic about these gloves for below freezing cycling.

Fine for putting up the Christmas decorations though and they are nice an grippy. I will still try them out on the bike to see what happens.

On a side note for real cold weather I have silk glove (and sock) liners which help with keeping hands warm.

mtbr member
    Like most cold weather clothing, layering is key. A silk or merino base layer, combined with a wind-proof over glove; for the real cold/wet stuff use a waterproof lobster shell over the other layers. I XC ski and snowshoe as well as ride all winter. Layers are the key.

Pogies: the ultimate layer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Neoprene gloves are GREAT for cold/wet races lasting less than an hour (i.e. cx). What you'll find with "regular" riding (as you noted) the sweat builds up quickly and unless you're generating a lot of heat, that will cool your hands down verrrrrry quickly.

303 cycling just posted a shorty review on a glove I'm curious about. I have some tights (Speshuhlized) that sound similar and I love them on cold/wet days.

tiny rider
    Just because it's fun to dust off the old threads once in a while:

Free (Tyvek) Pogies: How-To: Free Pogies!

or Scar's slightly more kosher version: BarMittsBra!

I like my lobsters when it get's cold.

mtbr member
    For budget minded, these work great, Bald Eagle Thinsulate waterproof gloves. I have weak ass hands that get cold easily & these have worked better than most riding gloves I have tried, & I have tried a bunch. Ridden in mid 20's for a couple hours & they held up great, plus hard to beat the price.

Mechanic Glove Bald Eagle Pigskin Thinsulate and Water Proof Bladder

My wife bought me these last Christmas & I must say, very nice gloves. Did a 2 hour ride last weekend in low 30's & my hands were sweating & warm the whole time. Pricey, but they do work.

Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi Men's Pro Softshell Glove,Black,Medium: Clothing

Both of these have great dexterity for winter glove, which is super important to me, as I really want to have a feel for my bars & brakes as close to a regular glove, especially since I am a die hard one finger breaker

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer View Post
    Just because it's fun to dust off the old threads once in a while:

Free (Tyvek) Pogies: How-To: Free Pogies!

or Scar's slightly more kosher version: BarMittsBra!
    Those threads are awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Neoprene sweat accumulators

My neoprene gloves arrived last night and I could feel my hands start to sweat just trying them on. A comfy base layer as recommended above makes good sense.

The stitching pattern on this particular style is less than optimal. So if you are still considering neoprene, I'd recommend against this pair

amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XEC7W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Now older but less slow!

I've now actually ridden with these. I took them out for 2 3/4 hours in temps of 33F last night. I wore them with a silk glove liner.

I have to confess that my hands were comfortable in warmth the entire ride; a significant difference to wearing them walking the dog. I think with the core body working hard, it helps to keep the blood circulating and also with the fingers wrapped around the bar, the finger tips (which is the first part to feel the cold) are actually out of the wind.

I had two downsides with the gloves. 1) That towards the end of the ride, while my hands were still warm, my hands were getting a little sore in places: my pinky against my bar end and my palm on my ergon. This is not usually a problem so perhaps while the glove is padded with insulation, the padding is different from a true cycling glove. 2) The other issue was that it was a little difficult to operate the buttons on my bar lamps but I suspect that this will be an issue with any winter mitt. I had no problems operating my brakes, shifters or dropper post though.

Overall, I was quite pleased and I'll use these as a back up to my Pearl Izumis when i get them.

Now older but less slow!
    Okay me again. I just got the Pearl Izumi (yay support local brands!) PRO WXB 3x1 glove.

Haven't ridden with them yet but they seem very substantial. You can ride with just the liner (though no padding), just the outer shell, or combine the two, hence 3x1.

I'm a between hand size. Mediums go up to 8.5 and large start at 9. I'm a 8.75 and decided with large. If I were to wear just the outer then they might seem a little lose but that does have the advantage of not restricting circulation in my hand. The liner in a perfect fit. With the two together is was snug. I definitely would not want a smaller glove.

Bulk wise these things feel huge. I'll have to wait to see what they are like on the bike.

Now for my job as a part time hand model

Winter gloves?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353038792.333964.jpg

Winter gloves?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353038814.487521.jpg

Winter gloves?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353038826.736145.jpg

Winter gloves?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353038837.385488.jpg

I did it all for the kudo
    Wow, those look like some nice gloves!
    How's your dexterity/lever feel when you wear those?

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Wow, those look like some nice gloves!
    How's your dexterity/lever feel when you wear those?
    Yes what he said and how much do they run?

Now older but less slow!
    I'll have to wait until my next ride to comment on the dexterity. I will say this though that they feel a little weird for the small and ring fingers. I think the design could have been improved if the outer shell had a single "lobster" finger for those two fingers and left the middle through to thumb as individual fingers. I think the weirdness comes from all the padding in the gloves. The little and ring finger are the weakest and so feel a little overwhelmed by the glove. This may disappear once on the bike though. Time will tell.

For price, they list at $130 but I picked them up for $90 from Amazon. It's a lot of money for a glove, I know, but as I spend a considerable amount of time riding at night and seemingly in the cold it's a worthwhile investment. Especially if I an get ten plus years out of them like my last winter gloves.

mtbr member
    I've got some REI Novara Headwind softshell gloves. I like that they're not a full on insulated glove as my hands generally don't get that cold. On days like today, I'll wear full fingered gloves on the climbs or while it's sunny and then grab my softshell gloves when the sun is setting or before the long DH back to the parking lot.

Next I need to get toe covers or MTB booties. As, even with wool socks, my feet sweat on the climbs and my toes freeze on the way down or the remainder of the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Glove Review

Just saw this review Review: Glacier Cyclocross Glove | 303Cycling News

The gloves look like they would be good for colder conditions but not down to 10F. Some of the comments give glove recommendations.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast