mtbr member
    May 2007

Will be in Denver/Boulder next week....where to rent/ride

I will be staying in Broomfield next week and on Wed or Thur I'd like to go rent a bike and take a ride during the day while my wife is at her conference, weather permitting of course.

Could someone point me in the direction of a rental shop where I can also hit a little singletrack? I'm looking for maybe a 5-10 mile ride with minimal hike-a-bike. I'm a weekend warrior and I don't pretend to be in great shape, even at Kentucky altitude

Any help/assistance would be great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The only place I know of that rents is Edgeworks/Bicycle Doctor on Broadway here in D-town. I'd recommend Three Sisters in Evergreen or Lair O the Bear in Idledale for an easy-ish ride.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    In Broomfield? Driving to evergreen would be way more driving than riding. I would look to rent in boulder and hitting up something like Marshall Mesa. I'm down south so not sure who would be a good place to rent in boulder.

Just thought evergreen is a bit far.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lyons- Redstone Cyclery

Finish with a beer and some local color downstairs at Oscar Blues

tiny rider
    You may be able to rent at the Trek store in Boulder. It's then 3-4 miles to the Marshall Mesa trail system. There's nothing tech there, but the views can be wonderful. It would be easy to put together a ride of an hour or two, and should be good for someone coming in without much time to adjust to the altitude. Unless it's windy

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Golden Bike Shop has the best rentals/demos in the area, no question. Ask them where to ride. Most of the stuff in Golden has a fair bit of climbing, but a little out and back at Matthews Winter/Red Rocks would be fun and a little drive back to Marshall MEsa/Dowdy Draw would be a good call, but would involve some back-tracking in the car.

skillz to pay billz
    for a day trip to Colorado I also would say marshall mesa. fairly easy and good views.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Lyons- Redstone Cyclery

I was with you right up till "downstairs".
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

fyyff
    I don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a shop at Baseline and Broadway that rented bikes. You could then head south on Broadway and hit the Marshall Mesa/Dowdy Draw area.

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    Golden Bike Shop is like $150 a day for rental- yikes!

Flyin Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by hojiman
    Golden Bike Shop is like $150 a day for rental- yikes!
    http://goldenbikeshop.com/page.cfm?pageID=58

Where do you see $150/day?

I've rented from these guys and their premium bikes - according to their website, and when I rented there, was $60 for the first day. When I rented I got an Ellsworth Epiphany for a premium bike. They have since started selling Santa Cruz as well but I don't know if they rent those. Their basic full suspension used to be Kona but that may have changed as well. Overall I was pleased with the bike I got and the service.
    Last edited by IvanLasston; 05-22-2009 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    2nd the golden bike shop...awesome guys. And you could hit up Green Mt, and/or South Table Top for some nice rides w/ great views!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for all the advice guys. i stopped in the university bicycles shop yesterday, they rent $30 for 8 hours. This morning the wife and I hiked some of the Marshal mesa trails.

I will do some more research on everyones advice when i get back from visiting nebraska in a few days, but i will likely rent from that shop and then ride the city and some close by trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DougNuts
    I will be staying in Broomfield next week and on Wed or Thur I'd like to go rent a bike and take a ride during the day while my wife is at her conference, weather permitting of course.

Could someone point me in the direction of a rental shop where I can also hit a little singletrack? I'm looking for maybe a 5-10 mile ride with minimal hike-a-bike. I'm a weekend warrior and I don't pretend to be in great shape, even at Kentucky altitude

Any help/assistance would be great!
    Best place to rent in Boulder - albeit spendy - is Sports Garage. They have demo package, so you will get the killer bike.

Re trails...you get either greens or blacks here, easy or tough, no middle ground. For a true mid-level ride, try Betasso or Heil.

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    They should put better word to the streets, locals say they are high...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Lyons- Redstone Cyclery

FTW.

Rent a bike in Lyons and ride Hall Ranch and finish with a burger and a beer at Oskar Blues. You can ride to the trailhead from Lyons and it is a fantastic trail.