lucky enough

Who's biking this winter and not skiing?

With not much snow this winter (so far anyway) and last, I'm seeing more bikes on the trails. I even did a snow ride myself. Yesterday was pretty frickin' cold though and I was on skis. Minus 1 at the start of the ski. On the way back to the Sourdough trailhead I saw more bikes than skiers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's biking this winter and not skiing?-p1010946.jpg  

Who's biking this winter and not skiing?-p1010949.jpg  

"Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Who's biking this winter and not skiing?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358103858.211426.jpgWho's biking this winter and not skiing?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358103873.393880.jpgWho's biking this winter and not skiing?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358103892.514612.jpg
    Riding and not the board kind. Bought a new jones hovercraft board before last years season. Have not ridden yet, powder conditions leave so much to be desired. Been pretty good snowbiking. Rode in same area into evening last night. Yep it was cold.

mtbr member
    You know it! It's a great time to ride!

insert sarcasm here
    Got on the bike yesterday and today. Yeah it's cold, but if you have halfway decent cold weather gear you can find a way to make it work. On the plus side, next weekend should feel like summer compared to the last couple of days!

Now older but less slow!
    I don't ski so I try to keep my biking up year round. I didn't get out this weekend as I had family projects to get attend to so I will try to make up for it with a frigid night ride tomorrow. After that I hope to get a ride in Saturday morning and perhaps attend the GBS Fat Bike demo on Sunday.

I got to change the front tire on my bike. The Ardent 2.25 on the front sucked last week in the snow where as the back was great with a Han Dampf. I'm going put a Hans Dampf on the front as well and perhaps i'll be able to steer a little better in the snow.

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend some good winter cycling gloves? Not a big fan of the lobster claw gloves as I only brake with one finger, as anyone with modern brakes should.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good winter cycling gloves? Not a big fan of the lobster claw gloves as I only brake with one finger, as anyone with modern brakes should.
    Did my first ride with these on Saturday afternoon (~12 deg):

Bar Mitts - Ride in Comfort

I have crummy circulation in my fingers and my hands were sweating in ski gloves without a liner.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Did my first ride with these on Saturday afternoon (~12 deg):

Bar Mitts - Ride in Comfort

I have crummy circulation in my fingers and my hands were sweating in ski gloves without a liner.
    X2 Bar mitts are the bomb. I use them for my early morning commutes and they work really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm about to throw in the towel on this ski season and starting to get into bike mode. I know we've got months to go for skiing but other than the 3 weeks of snow in December, it's like last year. Just got a killer deal on a Trek Slash 9 demo from Bicycle Village last week and plan on hitting up Green Mountain on Saturday. Looks like it'll be nice down there in the city for the rest of the week after today. Soooo cold in Summit County!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn W. View Post
    X2 Bar mitts are the bomb. I use them for my early morning commutes and they work really well.
    good to hear, have a pair coming in the mail this week
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Both! The skiing is still pretty good, especially since everyone is out riding fatbikes and not cluttering up the resorts. I get some ski time in the days and riding at night on some of the local ski areas.

Bar Mitts/Pogies are fantastic- I took some off my 4-wheeler (used for plowing, not as a Wilderness Wheelchair) and am riding without gloves at all down to about 15*F.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I gambled the past two winters and bought a few 4-packs instead of season passes. I went to A-Basin about 10 days ago - lots of loud powder and rocks. I put a huge gouge in one ski - lots of smaller ones.

I won't be skiing again until there is a LOT more snow at Loveland/A-Basin/Eldora. I've heard Steamboat is OK, but who has the dough to ski places like Steamboat/Vail/Aspen anyway? Not the 99%. It is pretty hard to pass up a free mountain bike ride in favor of 4+ hours in the car and $50+ a pop for lift tickets.

mtbr member
    To solve the cold hands problem: bring two pairs of gloves and keep them just outside the base layer. Switch when appropriate.

1F at 3am ride last night. I switched gloves twice.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    To solve the cold hands problem: bring two pairs of gloves and keep them just outside the base layer. Switch when appropriate.

that is dedication
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The resorts aren't that great right now, but XC touring is nice and the Nordic centers are adequate. You can find some nice backcountry turns if you're will to work for them and know what areas hold good snow. I'll start thinking about time on the bike early March.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Fortunate enough to live in the four corners area. Telluride an hour away and the deserts of AZ 4-5 hours away. So far this winter I have spent more weekends riding the Arizona trails than hitting the snowless slopes. Spent most of my life on the front range and loved it but really enjoying the diversity of options down here.

Now with 10% more!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post

Wow! Where, and more importantly why at that hour?

<100%
    Use your ski gloves. The keep you warm on the slopes, no reason they wouldn't keep you warm on the bike.

The original boonie
    Jan 2007
    Been riding and skiing. Ski'd Breck on the weekend and aside from the baltic temps, the groomers were OK. There were no lift lines and hardly any traffic so it was a fun weekend! Peak 10 was fast and empty

Also been skiing on my Kona SKInky at Eldora. I'd post a pic, but I don't have enough posts yet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Dook View Post
    Wow! Where, and more importantly why at that hour?
    On some not-so-secret trails in the Denver area. Because post-ride beers and sharp knives don't mix.