Thread: White Rum

friend of Apex

White Rum

Errrr, Rim... But lots of rum was involved...

Day one I was tempted by bluebird pow. I hit my stash spots and cut out early to let the Spring Breakers have my leftovers.

White Rim 001.jpg

Arrived in Canyonlands a score after 4... Loaded down with Santiagos and granola, I began my solo drop into the canyon to meet my group.

White Rim 002.jpg

I hate the places my bike takes me. Getting late and a bit brisk, gotta move

White Rim 003.jpg

Arrived in camp before sundown, and luckily they had refreshments waiting (along with my tent and sleeping bag)
    Quality Pale Ale in a can...BRILLIANT!
    White Rim 004.jpg...

The next day was a long day full of lame riding and crappy views.

Hot Box Canyon...
    White Rim 006.jpg

Cottonmouth Creek...
    White Rim 009.jpg

Mussleman Arch...
    White Rim 012.jpg

The trail turned to rolling hills for a spell before camp #2. Here I wished I had taller wheels, but the flow was great on 26's.

White Rim 010.jpg

The last day had more ugly vistas, give me four walls and fluorescent lighting...PLEASE

White Rim 013.jpg

Long climb out of the canyon to finish a great trip.

White Rim 011.jpg
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Big Boned
    Dang, I had plans to do WRIAD this March but they all went to scrap cuz of this whole Austin thing. I am SOOOO jealous right now, it kind of hurts, mainly around my liver.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Inflexable...
    Most awesome...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member

nice-ness

so this was white-rim-in-two-days? i'm debating between trying to hustle out same in a single day, or take the time and enjoy the scenery...

thoughts?

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nice! Santiago's... hell yes!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Oh, So Interesting!
    Nice pics! Thanks!

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i'm debating between trying to hustle out same in a single day, or take the time and enjoy the scenery...

thoughts?
    I set up a 3 day 2 nighter (or was it 4 day 3 night?) trip to White Rim with some friends, and then ended up not being able to go. Had to stay home and take care of wife who just had surgery. My friends sure thanked me for setting it up though! They enjoyed the casual pace, and liked the extra time for the scenery, and sidetrips. I plan to do that someday, and actually GO THIS TIME!
    Also wanna do WRIAD.
    I have heard good arguments for both.
    I think WRIAD is more for the challenge - not because it's a great MTB ride or anything. It is the scenery that is the cool part. So, if I had to do it one way, and one way only, I think I'd do the 2 nighter. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that's never ridden the whole thing yet!

Big Boned
    so this was white-rim-in-two-days? i'm debating between trying to hustle out same in a single day, or take the time and enjoy the scenery...

thoughts?

Why not both? One in the spring, one in the fall...
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

giddy up
    If those photos don't make you wanna ride, check your pulse. try and find photos like those on any other location on this forum (SoCal, NOcal) etc etc. You won't find them. God Bless Colorado and Utah.

One step up and two steps back as Bruce would say...
    Rub n Tiz'zug

Open the canned peaches!
    Nice, thanks for the inspiration.
    We've got a two-nighter set up for early June and just starting to get the details together. We decided to take our time and enjoy with some side trips etc.
    Did you have a sag vehicle or did you use a bob trailer or some other such carrier? Any thoughts on using a F150 as sag vehicle? I've seen some sites recommending high clearance and others claiming any stock 4X will work.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

Team Velveeta™

Shafer is open for bidness?

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Arrived in Canyonlands a score after 4... Long climb out of the canyon to finish a great trip...
    So Shafer Trail is open now? I heard just about 10 days ago that the Park Service had Shafer closed while they were working on some washouts or something. Folks who were into doing WRIAD were talking about climbing up Long Canyon, doing the deal counter-clockwise then descending the Potash Road 'cuz Shafer was off limits. Looks like that didn't happen to you. Did you do this in the last few days or what?

I'm heading over next weekend barring any unseen obstacles an was hoping to WRIAD.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

friend of Apex

thoughts?

That was White Rim in 3 days, with a 1/2 day of snowboarding and the drive from D-Town included in the first day, and beers and the drive home included in the last day.

I think that 2 days would be perfect if you are ready to go on day 1, have a Bob trailer, camp at White Crack (about 1/2 way), and have a good group. Plenty of time to see the sights and enjoy the park.

White Rim in a day would be hard for me cuz I guzzle the water down, I would need a support waggon. I drank over a gallon on Day 2 (50 miles) and it was like 55 degrees out.... Cant imagine doin that when its much warmer, let alone carryin all the water.

Self-supported 1 day trips might involve a bit of night riding, and would offer little chance to stop and smell the roses, (unless you have a refuel station setup somewhere as to avoid a heavy trailer or backpack.)

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by KBZ77
    Nice, thanks for the inspiration.
    We've got a two-nighter set up for early June and just starting to get the details together. We decided to take our time and enjoy with some side trips etc.
    Did you have a sag vehicle or did you use a bob trailer or some other such carrier? Any thoughts on using a F150 as sag vehicle? I've seen some sites recommending high clearance and others claiming any stock 4X will work.
    We used a regular SUV and a stock pick-up. F- 150 should be fine, unless the Ford breaks down.
    take your time, it's got some cool sights

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP
    So Shafer Trail is open now? I heard just about 10 days ago that the Park Service had Shafer closed while they were working on some washouts or something. Folks who were into doing WRIAD were talking about climbing up Long Canyon, doing the deal counter-clockwise then descending the Potash Road 'cuz Shafer was off limits. Looks like that didn't happen to you. Did you do this in the last few days or what?

I'm heading over next weekend barring any unseen obstacles an was hoping to WRIAD.
    Shafer was closed when we got there (this week), hence we went CC. Luckily, Shafer opened on the way out so we didn't have to do Potash. Still a bit of snow/slush on the shady spots, so if it gets cold (icy) they may close it again.
    Shafer Road.jpg

I liked the CC route, more flow.
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 03-22-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add pic