Thread: White Rim Trail

mtbr member

White Rim Trail

For our 7th annual Moab trip this year we're thinking of doing something different and I was thinking of the White Rim trail. My question is this: Would we be able to use a 16 ft RV trailer as the support/camping vehicle along the route? My buddy doesn't mountain bike and he offered to come along as the support guy for the rest of us. It would be pretty cool to have a nice trailer in lieu of tents, etc. I know I should probably "rough" it but since we had the offer I'm not going to refuse it quite yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    nope not possible. You would really need something with some good clearance there are a lot of really rocky and steep sections. Or just do it in a day....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaEnduroJC
    nope not possible. You would really need something with some good clearance there are a lot of really rocky and steep sections. Or just do it in a day....
    OK. Thanks for the feedback. While we're on a similar topic.....how about the Kokopelli trail with the same setup (16 ft trailer)? If not, we'll probably just do the tent thing on White Rim with just the 4x4 for support.

One day might be doable for White Rim, but we like to use the early season Moab trip to ease into the mountain biking season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You could do the Kokopelli trail with the trailer, you just have to drive to a pre-arranged spot to park and camp. I did it with a group of people 2 years ago and we saw the evergreen cycling club and they had campers. You just can't take the actual trail with the trailer. We had a cycle along for support if there were mechanicals. Very fun trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedhalo
    You could do the Kokopelli trail with the trailer, you just have to drive to a pre-arranged spot to park and camp. I did it with a group of people 2 years ago and we saw the evergreen cycling club and they had campers. You just can't take the actual trail with the trailer. We had a cycle along for support if there were mechanicals. Very fun trail.
    Sweet. Might have to do Kokopelli then. Hopefully it wouldn't be too tough to coordinate with the support vehicle. I'll have to start doing some research and probably get a good topo of the area.

mtbr member
    Kokopelli's not a problem. You should do some research, but I've done it 10 times with a 15 passenger van that meets the riders at lunch and dinner. The only spot you might have a problem is Onion Creek. You don't use the route in the sag, but you're close to it the whole time.

I second the previous White Rim opinion. No way I'd do it with my 4wd Chevy Colorado. Seemed like Jeep type obstacles to me - but I'm not a 4 wheeler. We just rode it - no need for a vehicle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    Kokopelli's not a problem. You should do some research, but I've done it 10 times with a 15 passenger van that meets the riders at lunch and dinner. The only spot you might have a problem is Onion Creek. You don't use the route in the sag, but you're close to it the whole time.

This sounds good. Anybody have a link to a good map that would show the bike route and the accompanying route for the SAG vehicle?

mtbr member
    http://www.copmoba.org/trails/maps/

It's worth the donation. They do a lot for the local trails.

Which way? Uphill.
    The Latitude 40 Moab East trail is a great map for Kokopelli if you want a detailed topo.

Off the top of my head I'd say Loma, Rabbit Valley, Westwater, Dewey Bridge, Castle Valley, and of course Sand Flats road will all be accessible for the trailer. Onion Creek is iffy, but if nothing else you could go in up to the first (of 22) stream crossing and have the riders come down to the trailer, but the next day would start with a nice climb up Onion Creek then.

Don't drink the water in Onion Creek.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.