Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

White Ranch Trail work

Has the recent trail work at White Ranch been done by volunteer's or Park staff?

cuz it is great!

The lower 2/3's of Longhorn Trail is is fantastic shape! They have done a fantastic job of cleaning up the existing trail bed while leaving most of the more "technical" features in place.

big thanks to whomever is doing the work.. and especially big thanks for not boarding over the "fun" parts (any chance we can get a redo on Mustang? have trail tools will travel ).

mtbr member
    There has been a massive amount of work done to Longhorn between the time I rode it last Tuesday and Friday. The trail has been completely cut in to a 6' wide, loose, boring strip of trail from the top of Longhorn to the bottom. The waterbars are hardly even drops anymore and any sense of berms or flow in the corners is gone. This went from my favorite trail to hardly worth riding. The 2-3 other riders there that night shared the same disappointment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode it again a couple of days after my original post and found that it had loosed up quite a bit...
    bummer..

that said... given the soil type and how loose it is... I think we are a mere 3-4 storms away from having it back to the way "it was"...

banned
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    I rode it again a couple of days after my original post and found that it had loosed up quite a bit...
    bummer..

that said... given the soil type and how loose it is... I think we are a mere 3-4 storms away from having it back to the way "it was"...
    And now did you ride those occurrences with strava on or off? This may explain this discrepancy too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Damn, that sucks. Well, if they make all of the descents shitty I guess I won't have to climb Belcher anymore...

Stand back
    That is too bad. They shoulda put that work into all the waterbars there that completely stick out and are nowhere near perpendicular to the trail.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    There has been a massive amount of work done to Longhorn between the time I rode it last Tuesday and Friday. The trail has been completely cut in to a 6' wide, loose, boring strip of trail from the top of Longhorn to the bottom. The waterbars are hardly even drops anymore and any sense of berms or flow in the corners is gone. This went from my favorite trail to hardly worth riding. The 2-3 other riders there that night shared the same disappointment.
    A little over reaction here. They do the same sh|t every year and you goobs say the same thing every year.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    A little over reaction here. They do the same sh|t every year and you goobs say the same thing every year.
    Not to Longhorn they haven't, not in the 15 years I've been here. Have you ridden it? IMO, the most fun trail in the front range for flow tech gnar.

Maybe I take it a little more personally because it's so close to my house.
    Did it have some unsustainable sections? Probably. But there are other sections of White Ranch that were in greater need of work, mostly due to horse traffic.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    One things for sure, you can't please everyone.

mtbr member
    North or south stretch of Longhorn?

I'll have to go ride it soon but I agree with this.

Not to Longhorn they haven't, not in the 15 years I've been here. Have you ridden it? IMO, the most fun trail in the front range for flow tech gnar.
    So the possibility that it was sanitized makes me

I'll have to go ride it soon so I can see first hand.

mtbr member
    The top of Longhorn where it meets Maverick needed to be cleaned up. Not saying sanitized but it was eroding into a gulley that could not shed water. That is not sustainable. I haven;t been to White Ranch in (2) weeks but is this the section they worked on?

Erik

mtbr member
    The section I rode that was sanitized is from the Maverick Junction to the bottom of the north section of Longhorn. Most, if not all water bars remained in place but a good chunk of rocks are gone. The trail lost its flow real quick.

I can say they don't do the same shlt each year. This trail needed some work in spots but I don't know about top to bottom sanitizing. This was one of the true, good techy, steep trail on the front range and it lost that feel.

Now older but less slow!
    I noticed a couple school bus loads of trail workers packing up on Wednesday last week when GBS was having the Demo out there. To me they looked like a bunch of convicts doing hard labor.....

... but I'm sure that's not the case

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    The section I rode that was sanitized is from the Maverick Junction to the bottom of the north section of Longhorn. Most, if not all water bars remained in place but a good chunk of rocks are gone. The trail lost its flow real quick.

I can say they don't do the same shlt each year. This trail needed some work in spots but I don't know about top to bottom sanitizing. This was one of the true, good techy, steep trail on the front range and it lost that feel.

Really, really too bad. That was indeed one the best technical, steep trail on the FR. It was my go to descent to evaluate any trail bike. I'm glad I got my Slash on it four times or so because it was the ****.

Hopefully it's not too bad and hopefully some big rains come to erode things to make it more technical.

I'll get out there Saturday morning hopefully to evaluate myself.

mtbr member
    It is/ was a good trail but you have to understand the upper portion was not of sustainable design. The trail did rip going down but each year there was more and more erosion.

Erik

Bad Andy!
    99% of the times I have ridden that stretch, it has been uphill.
    I am a rebel like that.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Like Gobstopper wrote above, White Ranch was also my favorite Front Range trail just a couple years back. But, Maverick was sanitized last year and now the spirit of Long Horn/Short Horn was really wiped away. It's like every time I visit White Ranch, there's some new "surprise"--a shortcut around obstacles, missing obstacles/rocks/waterbars, wider trails, etc.

For the "rebels" going uphill, what you're doing is no big deal any more. Walk a couple obstacles that remain and then spin up the smooth trail. Heck, bring your CX bike.

As for Mustang, please don't touch it. I climb an hour for that half dozen or so minutes of joy. I can be grumpy the rest of the ride ... just please let me have something still. Pretty please.

And no one here has even mentioned White Ranch's rock garden. That is even sanitized. It was a key component of the ride--a fun wake up call or a final chance for redemption. Now it's just another place I go, "WTF?"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    99% of the times I have ridden that stretch, it has been uphill.
    I am a rebel like that.
    You're going to make some of these guys heads to explode with crazy talk like that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Horse Poop Ranch?

Anyone notice how the horse people are walking their horses around a lot of the rocky sections? Going to make for a lot of braided trails...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Horse Poop Ranch?

Anyone notice how the horse people are walking their horses around a lot of the rocky sections? Going to make for a lot of braided trails...
    Of course it's the horses. It's never me or my brahs, or my tribe that causes problems, it's always them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Of course it's the horses. It's never me or my brahs, or my tribe that causes problems, it's always them.
    ZRM - Normally I'd agree with you, but you're wrong here. I'd be happy to point out these sections if you want to meet for a ride. There's no tire tracks (yet) on these walk around sections. These are fun rocky sections the bro/brah guys love and the lines aren't one a biker would even want to take.

I'm guessing the rocky bits are hard on horse ankles so the horse people avoid them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mixticius View Post
    Like Gobstopper wrote above, White Ranch was also my favorite Front Range trail just a couple years back. But, Maverick was sanitized last year and now the spirit of Long Horn/Short Horn was really wiped away. It's like every time I visit White Ranch, there's some new "surprise"--a shortcut around obstacles, missing obstacles/rocks/waterbars, wider trails, etc.

For the "rebels" going uphill, what you're doing is no big deal any more. Walk a couple obstacles that remain and then spin up the smooth trail. Heck, bring your CX bike.

As for Mustang, please don't touch it. I climb an hour for that half dozen or so minutes of joy. I can be grumpy the rest of the ride ... just please let me have something still. Pretty please.

And no one here has even mentioned White Ranch's rock garden. That is even sanitized. It was a key component of the ride--a fun wake up call or a final chance for redemption. Now it's just another place I go, "WTF?"
    I think Mustang is safe. If you remember Mustang without the wood planks? It used to be absolutey great/lot more gnarly but they made the trail highly sustainable on how steep it is and it still rips. Give Longhorn a year or two and it will start showing its truw colors again. Remember when they "fixed" Apex about 4 years back. It alsmost back to its original state.

Erik

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ZRM - Normally I'd agree with you, but you're wrong here. I'd be happy to point out these sections if you want to meet for a ride. There's no tire tracks (yet) on these walk around sections. These are fun rocky sections the bro/brah guys love and the lines aren't one a biker would even want to take.

I'm guessing the rocky bits are hard on horse ankles so the horse people avoid them.
    OK, fair enough. I was speaking more generally about how typical it is that on these forums negative trail impacts are always the other peoples fault. It's the damn hikers, or the horses, or the tree huggers, or the storm trooper clad DHers, or the spandex clad XCers or just about everyone except me and my tribe.

Most people (and I'm not immune by any means) don't want to look in the mirror when it comes to stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Horse Poop Ranch?

I was thinking the same thing, have heard equestrians speak at Open Space meetings years ago- they don't like rocks

friend of Apex
    non-sustainable trails are usually pretty fun
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast