mtbr member

White Ranch Trail Maintenance

I rode White Ranch last night and they completely sanitized Maverick Trail. Very smooth. I really don't mind Jeffco fixing the trails, but why Maverick. It was pretty smooth already compared to all the other trails at White Ranch . The top of Longhorn right before the intersection with Maverick is the most unsustainable trail in the Jeffco parks system. Basically it is a 3 foot gulley with a 20% grade and 20 water bars in 1/4 mile. Why not try to fix that?

I'm trying not to complain becasue we are so lucky to have such great trails. I'm just curious to know who decides the trail maintenance for Jeffco and their logic.

Erik

mtbr member
    I might get up there this weekend to check out this sanitization they've done.

All I know is trail sanitization makes baby Jesus cry.

Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    The top of Longhorn right before the intersection with Maverick is the most unsustainable trail in the Jeffco parks system. Basically it is a 3 foot gulley with a 20% grade and 20 water bars in 1/4 mile. Why not try to fix that?

Here's to hoping they don't do anything to that. I know I have some decent fitness going when I can clean all of that when starting from way down on Shorthorn.

It's fun to descend too, although I would admit that a trail with some big broad swoopy turns down that would be more fun and likely more sustainable as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I rode White Ranch last night and they completely sanitized Maverick Trail. Very smooth. I really don't mind Jeffco fixing the trails, but why Maverick. It was pretty smooth already compared to all the other trails at White Ranch . The top of Longhorn right before the intersection with Maverick is the most unsustainable trail in the Jeffco parks system. Basically it is a 3 foot gulley with a 20% grade and 20 water bars in 1/4 mile. Why not try to fix that?

I'm trying not to complain becasue we are so lucky to have such great trails. I'm just curious to know who decides the trail maintenance for Jeffco and their logic.

Erik
    No you are right 100%. There are very few trails that should be sanitized. Longhorn is one of them. But they are nuts in 99% of the other cases where they are doing this on the front range.
    Basically removing the rocks helps water collect and run un-impended and helps create mud bogs for the horses to "play" in.

mtbr member
    I hope they don't take out the waterbars, because then all the guys who complain about too many waterbars might start riding there and ruining the fun for the rest of us who love WR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle View Post
    I hope they don't take out the waterbars, because then all the guys who complain about too many waterbars might start riding there and ruining the fun for the rest of us who love WR.
    Ditto, leave Longhorn alone. Its one of my favorite descents on the front range.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

Rigid in Evergreen
    That top water-bar section (can't remember if it is Belcher or Mustang at that point) on the upper parking lot side definitely needs some attention, if not a re-route... it just keeps getting wider and more eroded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    Ditto, leave Longhorn alone. Its one of my favorite descents on the front range.
    The trail has nothing to do with the descent.(Although you are right, it is pretty kickass), it has to do with the 3 foot gulley running down the middle that goes against everything in building as sustainable trail.

Maverick did not need to be paved, it was fine. It was sustainable.

I remember when I first started mountain biking, I used to dread the top of Longhorn, now I use it as a base on where my fitness is.

Erik

mtbr member
    The trail has nothing to do with the descent.(Although you are right, it is pretty kickass), it has to do with the 3 foot gulley running down the middle that goes against everything in building as sustainable trail.

Maverick did not need to be paved, it was fine. It was sustainable.

I remember when I first started mountain biking, I used to dread the top of Longhorn, now I use it as a base on where my fitness is.

Erik
    I don't have any problem with fixing the gully areas but as with the other trails raking it down till its totally flat again will wreck everything I love about it. Every trail needs maintenance and sustainability, sanitizing it of everything fun is in a whole different category. It can be sustainable and challenging without being boring.

Are you trying to say the trail is both great to climb and descend? I would agree. It was simply my opinion that its a great descent and I would hate for it to lose its character and challenge for the sake of someone in this thread doesn't care for water bars.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.