mtbr member
    Mar 2004

White Ranch on a rigid SS?

Having ridden my SS 29'r rigid bike about 12 times total (mostly this year) on GM, and feeling strong, I attempted WR.

Just completely humbled myself attempting to ride up White Ranch this a.m. on a SS. Painful with all that loose rock. Painful in general. Painful to push that bike for the first time. Painful not being able to ride sections that are no prob on a geared bike.

Also- I almost completely killed myself riding down WR on a rigid bike this a.m. My bike is not at all built for that. Painful to have to use breaks pretty much the entire ride down. Pain was very close to my future mutliple times.

Redemed myself on GM. That place is easy as pie.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Don't blame the bike becasue you have trouble riding over technical terrain.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Chronic 1st-timer
    My 1st trip there was pretty much unfun.
    After a summer of pedaling the local trails, I hit again & had a bl'ast.....did have a bit of forearm pump by the bottom, but that's 1/2 the fun!
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i can't do rigid.

i stop at hardtail SS.

Let There Be Dirt
    SS in long, loose, steep stuff is tough. Spin that rear wheel and lose grip when your gassed and its over, at least til your HR drops. Rigid will beat you up. I switch back and forth. You will get better at both climbing ( SS) and descending ( rigid) with time. Will you better enough that you will enjoy both? Time will tell. Don't give up yet. Hit up Falcon, Deer Creek other sustained steeps that aren't so loose ( good luck with the Wall). By the way, what gear are you running?

I am still trying to figure out where you "blamed the bike" in your post.

Pabs, you ride SS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Don't blame the bike becasue you have trouble riding over technical terrain.
    +1. I timed myself only a minute slower from Belcher down Maverick and Longhond to Whipple on the rigid SS vs. the geared full squish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    pabs-
    sorry to hear that you think steep and loose means technical. maybe you shoud get out and ride more and figure out what technical really means.

i am on 32x20. i try and ride the downhills like its a 6 inch FS bike. i loose traction from the loose rocks on the climbs...

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum
    pabs-
    sorry to hear that you think steep and loose means technical. maybe you shoud get out and ride more and figure out what technical really means.

i am on 32x20. i try and ride the downhills like its a 6 inch FS bike. i loose traction from the loose rocks on the climbs...
    LOL. I'll try to get out and ride more, but between the 5 hours on Sunday on my rigid at Lyons and my daily two hour commute, I'm hard pressed to squeeze more in without upsetting the ol' lady or getting fired. Like I said initially, it ain't the bike.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Let There Be Dirt

bikebum

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum
    pabs-

I would think that adapting your riding style from a geared bike with 6" of travel to a fully rigid singlespeed will take time, especially if you are used to pushing that full suspension bike to its limits. I agree that the skills of the pilot trump equipment, but equipment can make things easier in some applications. I'll bet the comfort and performance gaps between your two rigs will never be equal in all aspects but you'll close some of the gap as you adapt over time.

Kosayuno, what are your thoughts on why you where a minute slower on the zero travel bike but not equal or exceeding the time on the full susp.?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSIDE
    I would think that adapting your riding style from a geared bike with 6" of travel to a fully rigid singlespeed will take time, especially if you are used to pushing that full suspension bike to its limits. I agree that the skills of the pilot trump equipment, but equipment can make things easier in some applications. I'll bet the comfort and performance gaps between your two rigs will never be equal in all aspects but you'll close some of the gap as you adapt over time.

Kosayuno, what are your thoughts on why you where a minute slower on the zero travel bike but not equal or exceeding the time on the full susp.?

Like Pabs said, it's the rider not the bike. As for being slower on the rigid SS, it's because I spin like crazy going down in 32x20 whereas my geared fs I can attain a higher gear combo.

Let There Be Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Like Pabs said, it's the rider not the bike. As for being slower on the rigid SS, it's because I spin like crazy going down in 32x20 whereas my geared fs I can attain a higher gear combo.
    But the same rider ( you) is on both bikes. So its not the 'bike', but the gearing thats keeping you from equaling your full suspension time? A component of the bike is the limiter then? Just trying to unravel the logic in your statement.

Bikebum, what kind of speeds are you hitting when you do that descent on the rigid?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSIDE
    But the same rider ( you) is on both bikes. So its not the 'bike', but the gearing thats keeping you from equaling your full suspension time? A component of the bike is the limiter then? Just trying to unravel the logic in your statement.

Bikebum, what kind of speeds are you hitting when you do that descent on the rigid?

Well, since you put it that way, I guess it is the bike in this case.

Bad Andy
    I'm confused - does anyone think they can ride down White Ranch (or anywhere else) as fast on a full rigid as they can on a full susp?
    I know a lot of people could ride down a lot of places faster on a full rigid than I could on a full susp!
    But I am talking about the same person - full rigid vs full susp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    I'm confused - does anyone think they can ride down White Ranch (or anywhere else) as fast on a full rigid as they can on a full susp?
    I know a lot of people could ride down a lot of places faster on a full rigid than I could on a full susp!
    But I am talking about the same person - full vs rigid.
    if they can their full suspension bike is in the same condition as mine....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i have passed mutliple riders mutliple times downhill on the ss rigid. it is quite gratifying when passing a fs rider!

however, i am definitley faster going downhill on the squish. i dont see any possible way the same person can be faster on a rigid bike going downhill then a fs bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    White Ranch....No way. Non-technical rides like buffalo creek maybe but i really doubt it. I always run out of gear on my ss if it's a true downhill.

I now pay much more attention to what gear I am in on my fs now that i spend 95% of the time on my single speed. You really think about what gear you are in or what gear you should be in on the next section that you are approaching. Definitley made me faster on the squishy bike.

Seems hard to believe that some people are almost as fast on their ss as their fs.
    I could believe that statement if we are talking an entire ride and not just a downhill section, of course everyone's definition of a downhill is different.

Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    But I am talking about the same person - full rigid vs full susp.

mtbr member
    Just because I was bored and because my rigid 29er SS is the only MTB I have built up right now, I took it out at WR yesterday. It honestly surprised me at being more fun than I expected. Yes, I had to walk a few sections that I never walk, but really, those were few and far between. It was darn fun and I might even do it again.

As to the question of descending Belcher on rigid SS vs. 26 FS, there really is no contest. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun on a rigid bike and you, surprisingly, can ride pretty fast, but a FS bike is ridiculously faster. I'm not knockin' anyone's skills on the SS, but as an apples-to-apples (same person putting the same effort) comparison, I would unequivocally say that 26 FS is significantly faster on Belcher.

Old, stale, negative
    Get large volume tubeless tires and you'll feel a lot better on the tech stuff. I've ridden nothing but SS rigid for years and get passed by all kinds of people but on the other hand pass all kinds as well. Ride what floats your boat and enjoy every second of it.

go ride!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Get large volume tubeless tires and you'll feel a lot better on the tech stuff. I've ridden nothing but SS rigid for years and get passed by all kinds of people but on the other hand pass all kinds as well. Ride what floats your boat and enjoy every second of it.
    I second that. Haven't ridden suspension or gears for about 7 or 8 years. Just ride and forget about all the rest! The real question is to coast or not to coast. That is what lets you know if you have tech skills! go ride!

Old, stale, negative
    Caveat, I just built an internal gear hub and plan to be slower on all fronts. Still rigid but that's just my nature. Good luck all.