mtbr member
    Mar 2008

White Ranch- Maverick Trail changes

Rode WR this morning, started down Maverick from Belcher and passed the Jeffco teenage labor trail labor force. They were rolling at least 50 deep. All very courtous and called out rider and moved off the trail (honestly if I had known they were that thick and working I wouldn't have riden that trail and stayed out of their way).

Anyway. . . . holy crap! That first piece of Maverick is some 50" wide and totally smooth. They worked it over. I was agast at first.

When i got back to my car, I called JCOS and requested I talk to Kim Frederick. We chatted and he told me that they go through every jeffco trail pretty much that way through the years. They get rid of the concaveness the single track ends up becoming, and make it wide and flat so water can properly drain. I figured Kim would have a reasonable answer, but I still told him I was pretty bummed out.

I didn't say anything, but I really never thought that first peice of Maverick needed any work for drainage. It seemed pretty self sustaining to me (but I havn't had charge of that trail for 10+ years like Kim and JCOS).

Anyway- if you ride Maverick tomorrow, the first part is going to look like a bike path until we ride the hell out of it and get some rock and roots showing. . .just FYI

Stand back
    They did the same thing to pick n sledge at Apex a couple years ago.

IMO, there are a lot of sections of WR that could use love, like further down Maverick, where you ride through a 2' deep trough. It would probably take some major reroutes to undo all of that, but that would be the only way to get rid of the majority of the water bars...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrider View Post
    Rode WR this morning, started down Maverick from Belcher and passed the Jeffco teenage labor trail labor force. They were rolling at least 50 deep. All very courtous and called out rider and moved off the trail (honestly if I had known they were that thick and working I wouldn't have riden that trail and stayed out of their way).

Anyway. . . . holy crap! That first piece of Maverick is some 50" wide and totally smooth. They worked it over. I was agast at first.

When i got back to my car, I called JCOS and requested I talk to Kim Frederick. We chatted and he told me that they go through every jeffco trail pretty much that way through the years. They get rid of the concaveness the single track ends up becoming, and make it wide and flat so water can properly drain. I figured Kim would have a reasonable answer, but I still told him I was pretty bummed out.

I didn't say anything, but I really never thought that first peice of Maverick needed any work for drainage. It seemed pretty self sustaining to me (but I havn't had charge of that trail for 10+ years like Kim and JCOS).

Anyway- if you ride Maverick tomorrow, the first part is going to look like a bike path until we ride the hell out of it and get some rock and roots showing. . .just FYI

LOL! My kid was on that crew! His words, "we scraped it until it was like concrete".

If you see a kid with a red deuter hydro and a McCleod, don't blame him. He knows how to build proper trail and has done it in Buff Creek.

Yappy little dog!
    BTW, was it you who ran over the rake and took a spill?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    They did the same thing to pick n sledge at Apex a couple years ago.

IMO, there are a lot of sections of WR that could use love, like further down Maverick, where you ride through a 2' deep trough. It would probably take some major reroutes to undo all of that, but that would be the only way to get rid of the majority of the water bars...
    They did the same on Chimney....it is the Front Range and before you know it the trails will be rocky again. Both Apex and Chimney needed some love and so do spots in White Ranch. The only place I have had issue with the sanitation was on Falcon....they removed some really large rocks that didn't need to be removed at least that is my opinion. Jeffco gets hammered on these boards, but overall I appreciate what they do and what we have available to us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    BTW, was it you who ran over the rake and took a spill?
    haha - no.

Oh. . .and I rode it today and with it being packed in, its actually kinda cool. The turns in the meadow are almost better since they are wide and smooth! Its going to be more fun with multiple lines showing up and good ol nice flat turns!! YES!

So the kids did a pretty nice job afterall, and I am sure the rocks will be making an apperance soon enough.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    I'd rather see them temporarily smoothing trail, learning good work ethic than breaking into cars at the Trailhead. Sounds like a good program they have going there.

Even though this particular spot may not have needed attention, I am sure some of their work is beneficial for the trails.