mtbr member
    Dec 2009

White Ranch and Green Mountain Conditions

I road White Ranch for the first time ever today so forgive me if I get any of the trail names wrong. The first quarter mile between the parking lot and the Belcher climb are a muddy mess. I went early so it was still frozen but its very very badly rutted from bike tires and horses. That being said the Belcher trail is 99% bone dry all the way up to the Sawtooth? trail intersection. From there up its still got a lot of snow on the narrow single track but its rideabled with care. I took the Mustang? trail that leads to the South from the end of the Belcher trail and its dry as well at least as far as where it joins Sawtooth again (also mostly dry on the South/East side).

All the trails leading to the North of the mountain looked un-rideable due to blown snow and ice. The only other rideable trail I saw was the Eastern portion of Whippletree? which is 50/50 dry or packed snow. Longhorn looked alright to ride but I was too tired to attempt it at the time.

I also did the Green Mountain loop and its also 99% dry with only a few North facing portions that were muddy. I didn't ride any of the trails on the North side of the mountain but they looked like they would be very muddy (it was now about 10am).

Hope it helps.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Is this feb?

While wr, falcon & stuff in the trees are not great...as you pointed out, any south facing climbs like belcher are good. I rode gm today and yeah it's 99% dry and awesome. Dakota ridge was great too with ice/snow only on the steps. Mw has more ice & snow and I would caution against the full loop. But go and ride gm and dr before we get more snow.

Pivot Rider
    However, if you do get out to ride GM -- please stay off of the Hayden Trail -- it is still embroiled with lots of mud (was out there today!) All other south facing trails seemed good to go -- although I didn't check out BoR. Another rider I saw out there did tell me that portions of BoR are very muddy. Zorro up to Dakota is good!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    You can ride through the mud on BOR but stay in the middle. Workin on gettin that section, plans to come with a few hundred more feet of trail hopefully

Haven't been on the north side trails but common sense says ([SIZE="1"]and that is assuming i have any[/SIZE]) gonna be a while. Yep hayden a no go.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Pivot Rider
    I "looked" at a couple of the north facing trails -- didn't look rideable at ALL!

Lemme know when you get the permissions from Lakewood to work that trail. I'll be sure to help out! Also, I've got a friend who works for Lakewood-- not sure if he can help, but if you run up against a wall -- possibly. (It'd be worth a shot anyway).

[SIZE="2"]I'm not gonna say a WORD about common sense and whether you have any or not -- however, it is a WIDE open door....[/SIZE] Just sayin....
    Last edited by Yetigirl; 02-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member

Dr / Mw

Dakota Ridge - Mw loop is rideable. Avoid the north part of the Morrison Slide as it's a mess but everything else is perfect. Rode up the south side, then back down and took the loop around. Although, the muddiest part of the ride was the last 10 yards before the bridge at the north parking lot, that area is destroyed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

White Ranch -- 3.3.2010

Below are a few pictures of belcher up to longhorn:

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wow it's gettin there - thx for takin the pics!

mtbr member
    Almost there,

Early morning Saturday here i come. A nice climb up Belcher. Hopefully it will be completely frozen. Last time I did Belcher frozen I went down hard on a piece of ice and got a handlebar to the rib.

It always seems muddy at the bottom.

Thanks for the updates.

mtbr member

Green Mountain

What is Green Mountain looking like for the weekend?

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BubColorado
    What is Green Mountain looking like for the weekend?
    MUDDY, MUDDY, MUDDY! Green Mtn is NOT ready to ride so please respect the trails! Also, it is supposed to rain later tonight which will only add to the muddy conditions.

As someone else noted, as long as you see snow on GM, you know that it will have wet and muddy conditions if not some snow pack on the North side (along with all those unexploded shells for any who get off trail!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    look at the third pic down of white ranch -- that looks horrible! all hiker shoes too-- I would not think hiking in ankle deep mud is even fun, no less "ok" to do on metropolitan trails- wtf-- ya-- its going to be a while for the ground to dry up a lil more

(I rode WR about 1 month ago frozen and the bottom part has taken a beating for sure-- but to contradict my first argument above. . . . really that "damage" is just going to get flattened back out with use. . . so probably not really a big deal.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Riding on muddy trails, while not fun and bad for your drivetrain, really doesn't do that much damage to the trail (aside from perception issues). It is like pmrider said, it will eventually all get flattened out after hard use and drying.

The issue is when folks ride around muddy areas and expand the width of the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Riding on muddy trails, while not fun and bad for your drivetrain, really doesn't do that much damage to the trail (aside from perception issues). It is like pmrider said, it will eventually all get flattened out after hard use and drying.

The issue is when folks ride around muddy areas and expand the width of the trail.
    I agree entirely. The trails will recover, the widening of the trails is another matter. But what do I know, I just hike these days. Oh and BTW, I hike right through the mud.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett