mtbr member

White Ranch En Fuego!

Wildfire sparked by lightning flares up
    written by: Sara Gandy Web Producer

Created: 6/17/2006 4:11 PM MST - Updated: 6/17/2006 4:14 PM MST

ADVERTISEMENT

JEFFERSON COUNTY - Lightning Friday evening sparked a wildfire in White Ranch Park that flared up Saturday, according to officials.

Dry weather caused the fire to grow to at least an acre and a half as of 4 p.m. Saturday.

The fire is said to be in a rugged area that is difficult to get to. Volunteer firefighters from at least four different fire departments are on scene working on the fire. Air support has also been called in to assist with the fire.

No structures are threatened but smoke from the fire is visible from the metro area.

9NEWS and 9NEWS.com will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

more headlines >

recovering racer
    Hmmm...I was planning on riding White Ranch Sunday. My assumption is the entire open space is closed. Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member
    Yes. Just saw an update on channel 2 news. The park is closed (Sat evening). Tonight while driving home it looked like the fire is at the far Northern part of the park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Slurry Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by BipedZed
    Hmmm...I was planning on riding White Ranch Sunday. My assumption is the entire open space is closed. Can anyone confirm?
    I saw the big slurry bomber from Jeffco Airport making runs about 7:45PM Saturday night. I'm guessing the entire park will be closed Sunday.

mtbr member

Open Space update on White Ranch

White Ranch Open Space Park will remain closed today, Monday, June 19, 2006 for mop up activities by area firefighters. Approximately 30 acres of rugged forest land adjacent to the park burned over the weekend. A red flag warning will be in effect today at 12 noon, officials will assess the need for a continued closure.

For the latest closure information, contact Open Space at 303-271-5925.

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/news/n...em_T3_R232.htm

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical
    Approximately 30 acres of rugged forest land adjacent to the park burned over the weekend.
    Kudos to the fire fighters for keeping the damage to 30 acres. As dry as its been here, it could have been ugly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, I think we've been relatively lucky with a bunch of these smaller fires.

mtbr member

White Ranch is Open

Just got off the phone with Jeffco Open Space - White Ranch is Open

Motion activated
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.