650b me

White Ranch, 6/22: A tale of two trails

I'm currently unemployed, so Bike to Work Day had no meaning for me. I figured the rain earlier this week must have consolidated the trail up Belcher Hill, so I headed for White Ranch. Wrong! Belcher Hill was probably as bad as I've ever seen it. Too much rain, as it turns out. It looked like dump trucks had dropped load after load of gravel of varying size on the trail. Where it wasn't loose, the embedded rocks were noticeably more exposed due to erosion. Coming down some sections wasn't even fun. Sheesh.

Then I hit Maverick. Had to check it out after hearing about the recent trail maintenance on this forum. Long story short: I liked it. They reworked the entire trail segment. Very smooth, with just a handful of embedded rocks, as others have reported. I know, some of you call this "sanitized." Felt pretty good to my mid-40's body after the grueling climb up Belcher! If you're not there yet, just wait. The thing is, generally speaking, all trails start out life this smooth. Then, inevitably, nature takes its course and "features" develop over time. If you don't like Maverick now, just give it a few years. Remember Lair o' the Bear or Centennial when they were brand spankin' new? It'll change...

My thanks to the Jeffco Open Space crew for all of the great work they do! Cheers! All in all, it was a glorious day to be up at White Ranch.

650b me
    One more thing: those who were wishing the trail crew had worked on upper Longhorn instead of or in addition to Maverick, they have. At least the segment from Maverick to the upper parking lot. Much improved. Or sanitized, if you prefer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I came down Belcher Hill on Wednesday and agree, it was the rockiest and loosest I've ever seen it and generally not fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I hate Belcher in general. Taking shorthorn up is much more fun with less exposure to boot. I miss the lower part of Mustang. Will that section ever return?

I've often thought it would be cool if a section were built connecting midway up Shorthorn to somewhere around the Maverick/Belcher intersection. It would add a nice option to the lower WR network. It would require some serious switch-backs I think, which would also be a nice feature.

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    Rode Belcher yesterday and totally agree that it is super loose! Not too much fun up until a little before the first Mustang junction. Gotta keep your momentum or it's easy to spin out (repeatedly!) in the loose sand & rocks. I'll be trying the zendog Shorthorn route next time.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The rain has hosed FR trails, apparently. Upper Apex is a bit of a nightmare with a 2" wide, 4" deep water channel. Was NOT like that Thursday before last...