mtbr member
    Mar 2007

White Ranch!!!!!

White Ranch is DRY!! Rode Belcher Hill to Sawmill Trail yesterday evening. Didn't want to drop down on Mustang by myself at that time of day. Just a few hikers & myself, everyone's still riding Marshall Mesa!

mtbr member
    Got it second hand, Mustang has a few wet spots in the upper section but it is ridable without doing trail damage. WR should be open for business this weekend, particularly if we get the warm weather that's expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanzetta72
    White Ranch is DRY!! Rode Belcher Hill to Sawmill Trail yesterday evening.
    Yeah, but what about Shorthorn, Longhorn, Whippletree, Mustang and Maverick?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

30 something dad
    Anyone happen to find a Garmin Forerunner 305? I left it in the lower White Ranch parking lot a week or so ago.

Thanks!

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    Yeah, but what about Shorthorn, Longhorn, Whippletree, Mustang and Maverick?
    All a mud pit / icey. A report came in from my neighbor yesterday (Sunday, 3/23) afternoon (5ish); he did Belcher to the bench, but the rangers were out trying to keep people from using the above mentioned trails due to potential damage. The horses have already done a number at the bottom, even though its dry.

F-n horses, only good for glue.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    yeah that ranch that does the trail rides on Belcher has really killed the bottom of that trail.

I think it's pretty lame that they are allowed to run guided group tours on a public trail like that.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat
    yeah that ranch that does the trail rides on Belcher has really killed the bottom of that trail.

I think it's pretty lame that they are allowed to run guided group tours on a public trail like that.
    hmm.... guided tours? You've got an interesting point. I didn't think you could 'guide' on Jeffco open space (and get paid for it). I wonder if there is a legal issues with these ass clowns, because I've run into their group more than once... they're slow (gawd awful slow) and have to pull over to allow the hikers and bikers by (or we pull over for them).

I wonder how we can bring that up at the next OSAC meeting.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    I have absolutley no problem with horses, but to run horses on trails in winter and early spring. They kill the trails. i remember Deer Creek last year. they destroyed that trail early season.

Erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have no problem with horses, I have a problem with the people who ride them.

crash and burn at 45
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    All a mud pit / icey. A report came in from my neighbor yesterday (Sunday, 3/23) afternoon (5ish); he did Belcher to the bench, but the rangers were out trying to keep people from using the above mentioned trails due to potential damage. The horses have already done a number at the bottom, even though its dry.

F-n horses, only good for glue.
    I can still see snow on north facing front range slopes from my house, probably be another week or 2, even with the warm temps, those parts of whiffle and longhorn barely see sun ever.

The rotund lady who leads those horse "tours" up white ranch has been very polite and nice to me when riding there, but I wonder what the agreement is there that they run a rental service using the county land. But you would have to think of all the bike shops that rent bikes to people that ride there. I do hate the damage that is done by horses at white ranch, but it is a multi-use trail. At least I only see them on belcher and that is only going up.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Yep the guides have been nothing but accomodating to me considering the circumstances when passing. Always a smile and howdy, a heck of a lot more than I get from a lot of fellow riders.
    I have a feeling they've been riding horses around there far longer than we've been riding bikes, that initial access to Belcher is a trail easment through private property giving access to the east side of the park, so we don't have start at the top. I'm sure they are paying some sort of fee or perhaps the easment was granted on condition of continued touring. Chill out, play nice.
    The horses are putting a hurt on Whippletree, theres a nice off trail turnabout that shaped up last year below the trail grade.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Tru'dat. Hmmm, where do you think they came up with the name White RANCH? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller... While I hate to see damage on any trail, but they (horses) were there first. While it's worth asking about the relationship between the rent-a-horse agency and Jeffco Open Space, my guess is that it's all on the level. The feds have an Outfitter-Guide process that allows commercial use on FS and BLM lands and I'd guess it's something pretty similar.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Agreed, equestrians have established the majority of front range trails and consequently they have a definite right to use said trail systems.

I really was just lamenting the impact that has occurred on the lower reaches of White. I guess it just gives one more motivation to motor through the low stuff to reach 'the goods'.