mtbr member

Where'd the Gatorade go?

I can't find Gatorade mix anymore at the grocery store...anyone know where I can get some near Boulder without ordering online? (headed to Crested Butte on Friday and would like to have some by then)

The new single serving packets don't count. If generating that much trash is the only option then I'll be looking at threads about alternatives to Gatorade...

not actually bad :)
    Don't think you're looking hard enough.
    Golden King Soopers carries it, so I assume Boulder does too.
    Look in the bottom shelf on the gatorade isle. Not much, but it is probably there.
    Your choice of flavors as long as it's original or orange!
    Old Codger

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Yep -HR king soopers has it. Mix with some protein powder and good to go.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Costco. 4#, $6.

contains quinine
    Supertarget had it last week.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I vote for "alternatives to gatorade". Forget that sugary crap.

Check out Hammer Fizz tablets or Nuun

My leg feels funny
    I grab it from my local Safeway too. It seems to be inconsistent where it is though. Sometimes its where the liquid Gatorade is and sometimes its where the other powdered drink mixes are.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    +1 for alternatives. Vitalyte (REI sells it) is my fave, and is a decent price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Technology is my friend.
    Probably obvious by now, but: Walmart has the giant cans of gatorade powder for 6 or 7 bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    I vote for "alternatives to gatorade". Forget that sugary crap.

Check out Hammer Fizz tablets or Nuun
    Or, hibiscus flower tisane, fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of agave (honey works too), and a pinch of salt.

As a bonus, the above drink makes a wonderful mixer for cocktails.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Frikkin' hippies.

banned
    it went to hfcs hell

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Or, hibiscus flower tisane, fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of agave (honey works too), and a pinch of salt.

As a bonus, the above drink makes a wonderful mixer for cocktails.
    Ooooh, that sounds mighty fine. I suppose the lemon juice, agave, and salt serve as a base and the hibiscus flower is for flavor? Seems like the chunks of dried flower would be a little chewy coming out of the bottle?

I actually went out and bought Vitalyte from REI today because it seemed way cheaper then the Hammer Heed I usually buy. But it's not as cheap as I thought. 80 servings for $16 sounds fine, but the fine print tells me each serving is only 8 oz. So for your standard 20 oz water bottle that 80 serving can is really only 32 servings. A little more math tells you that my 20 oz bottle of Heed only costs me 12.5 cents more then the Vitalyte. Product preference aside, that's not much of a difference. I bought the citrus Vitalyte and although there are Heed flavors that are far WORSE (i.e. mandarin), I prefer the melon or lemon lime Heed. Probably more then anyone on this forum cares to know about my drink preferences.

mtbr member
    Ok, now I feel silly for failing to find it in both a Safeway and a King Soopers, although a friend of mine (the same friend I'm going to CB with) has had similar problems. Maybe it just used to be more obviously placed...

I tried Nuun but prefer non-fizzy hydration on the trail, although it seems to fade pretty quickly with the shaking that accompanies riding or even hiking. May end up trying Vitalyte.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Ooooh, that sounds mighty fine. I suppose the lemon juice, agave, and salt serve as a base and the hibiscus flower is for flavor? Seems like the chunks of dried flower would be a little chewy coming out of the bottle?
    Nothing occurs without effort; then patience.

In a large pot bring 1/2 gallon water to a boil, then remove the pot from heat. Place a small handful of whole hibiscus flowers (6-12) in the hot water. Cover the pot. Let the flowers steep for, at least, 10 minutes. Strain the tea into a 1/2 gallon, or larger, container (a 1/2 gallon Bell jar works well).* Add 4 - 6 tablespoons (or to desired taste) sweetener to tea and stir well; until dissolved. Let tea cool, then cover and refrigerate. When ready to use, squeeze 1 - 2 lemon wedges per 20 oz. bottle, and one pinch sea salt. Shake well and enjoy.

Total time: 20 minutes (actual time making drink: less than 10 minutes). Cost per 1/2 gallon of drink: less than $1

*Save the flowers and re-steep them right away or let dry (on a surface you don't mind stained) and re-steep at a later time. Flowers are good for at least two steeps. The second steep will not be as strong as the first.

I tend to cut my drink with half a bottle of water.

Note: hibiscus flowers are edible and full of nutrients, namely, vitamin C and A.

My backup and travel drink mix is Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak - Lemon Lime
    Last edited by rogbie; 08-19-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Nothing occurs without effort; then patience.

In a large pot bring 1/2 gallon water to a boil, then remove the pot from heat. Place a small handful of whole hibiscus flowers (6-12) in the hot water. Cover the pot. Let the flowers steep for, at least, 10 minutes. Strain the tea into a 1/2 gallon, or larger, container (a 1/2 gallon Bell jar works well).* Add 4 - 6 tablespoons (or to desired taste) sweetener to tea and stir well; until dissolved. Let tea cool, then cover and refrigerate. When ready to use, squeeze 1 - 2 lemon wedges per 20 oz. bottle, and one pinch sea salt. Shake well and enjoy.

Total time: 20 minutes (actual time making drink: less than 10 minutes). Cost per 1/2 gallon of drink: less than $1

*Save the flowers and re-steep them right away or let dry (on a surface you don't mind stained) and re-steep at a later time. Flowers are good for at least two steeps. The second steep will not be as strong as the first.

I tend to cut my drink with half a bottle of water.

Note: hibiscus flowers are edible and full of nutrients, namely, vitamin C and A.

My backup and travel drink mix is Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak - Lemon Lime
    This is interesting but I cam confused about using a tea as a "sports drink". Hibiscus is a diuretic so it makes you lose water and want to pee. Isn't that the opposite of what you want to achieve?

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Brawndo; it's got what plants crave!

Living the High Life
    I've moved on from Gatorade.

Seriously, Kool Aid is lots of sugar and cheap as *****.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brettf View Post
    Brawndo; it's got what plants crave!
    Mother Nature will be like SLOW DOWN and you'll say %&$* you and kick her in the face with your ENERGY LEGS!!!

Not that I had energy legs at mile 12 of Doctors Park, with 1000' of climbing to go, but I think maybe having more than 24 hrs to acclimate will help for next time. My sugary "orange" Gatorade was fantastic.

Ride Everything
    The Costco in Superior has lemon lime G'ade in the bulk container. Just bought some this week...
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Protein powder?