mtbr member

Where is the technical stuff?

I love the technical aspects of biking. Where are the cool sections with drops, stairs or boulders? Steep, switchbacks, gnarly, ... whatever? Where is the epic one?

No problem if it is a bit off. Even better as I don't want to get into the way of hikers.

I saw a nice picture taken in Palmer Park in a post the other day. Where are similiar spots?

Thanks

Klaus

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    I love the technical aspects of biking. Where are the cool sections with drops, stairs or boulders? Steep, switchbacks, gnarly, ... whatever? Where is the epic one?

No problem if it is a bit off. Even better as I don't want to get into the way of hikers.

I saw a nice picture taken in Palmer Park in a post the other day. Where are similiar spots?

Thanks

Klaus
    Ride Dakota Ridge, it's relatively technical.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Time is not a road.
    Here's a nice 90 degree turn on the back loop of Devil's Backbone, which is more like a rock "path" than a traditional trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Telluride and Silverton have some pretty techy riding!

You might want to wait for a couple of months though!

Rolling

Super technical stuff

Doesn't this just scare you looking at it? Can't tell exactly where it is though, it's a secret. Remember the rule "Show, don't tell!"

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Doesn't this just scare you looking at it? Can't tell exactly where it is though, it's a secret. Remember the rule "Show, don't tell!"
    Who's up for a shuttle run on this trail this weekend? No GPS tracking allowed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You guys know better than to post pics on the internet of our top secret bootleg shuttles!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    That's so not cool. I don't go around posting pictures of your local haunts do I? Keep a lid on it!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member

Wow - I am impressed!

Actually I am impressed by the fact that you rather send me private messages of your hidden spots then post them. Should have asked that way.

Please post known and legal spots but rather invite me to the technical gems. Don't want anything to get closed. And I want to meet guys riding technical stuff.

ride
    There's lots of good technical riding not too far out of Lyons. Lots of big climbing involved usually, though. Lion Gulch is one of my favorites. There's some good technical riding out of Camp Dick, too. 100% legal marked and open USFS trails. Good stuff.

1st pic is the stairs at Lion Gulch
    2nd pic is a small rock section of Buchanan Pass
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Not just famous; infamous

Nice Pix Ignazjr

Haven't been on those trails...yet
    Some more suggestions. Palmer and Dakota Ridge have already been suggested (both very techy IMO). Palmer is probably the only well-known spot where you can get in a lot of drops. Dakota's more about keeping momentum and not going over the bars.

Bergen Peak in Evergreen. Lots-o climbing, but roots, rocks and switchbacks galore.

Golden Gate State Park, west of Golden. The upper section is an alpine delight. Again tons of rocks and roots, some very techy sections mixed in with super swoopy fast singletrack. Of course, being at 10,000', it's probably under some snow right now. One of my all time favorite FR rides.

Deer Creek Canyon in Littleton. Really, "the Wall" is the only techincal section, but the top loops are so much fun, and have just enough rocks and loose gravel to keep you on your toes. Beware of hikers and bikers.

And what good is a post without pix? Sorry, no pix of Bergen.
    First: GGSP, Second: Dakota Ridge, Third: Palmer, Last one: Deer Creek

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    There's lots of good technical riding not too far out of Lyons. Lots of big climbing involved usually, though. Lion Gulch is one of my favorites. There's some good technical riding out of Camp Dick, too. 100% legal marked and open USFS trails. Good stuff.
    I always forget about Lion's Gulch as a bike ride even though I hike there a couple times a month. There is some really technical stuff there for sure, and the climb is long and tough. Gonna have to try it on my bike there sometime.

Members who have read this thread: 0