Now older but less slow!

Where to ride Tuesday?

I have tomorrow off so I'm looking to ride somewhere I haven't been before.

Right now I'm guessing, based on trail reports, that Green Mountain is a good bet.

As for other options are any of these rideable tomorrow and if so what would you ride?

Bobcat Ridge
    Buffalo Creek
    Dakota Ridge

Any other good options within a hour of Louisville?
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 02-18-2013 at 07:46 PM.

old skool newbie
    You can't go wrong with any of those since they are all new to you. Nothing like trying some new trail.

dakota would be nice if you add matt winters or green mtn, maybe even the amphitheater
    buffalo would seem well away from the crowds and is relatively snow free still
    not familiar with bobcat

Now older but less slow!

Where to ride Tuesday?

If I do Dakota Ridge I would add in Mathews/Winters - basically I'm looking the book "The Mountain Bikers Guide to Colorado" and thumbing through the pages going were next?

Right now I'm thinking Green Mountain and depending on time and how I feel then heading over to Dakota/Mathews/Winters.

But I just read elsewhere that Bobcat Ridge is 95% dry so that is tempting...

insert sarcasm here
    Dakota/MW is almost entirely snow free, just a couple ice spots on MW, nothing to worry about. Bobcat Ridge is pretty sweet, I rode it for the first time myself three weeks ago. Both are good techy options.

slow
    Bobcat is tons of fun. Ride the 5.4 mile Ginny Trail as an out and back to the Powerline Road, as the Powerline climb is steep and boring. If you want to add miles and time, do an out and back on the flowy Eden Valley Spur and then a lap of the Valley Trail.

Now older but less slow!

Where to ride Tuesday?

Looks like I'm heading to Bobcat Ridge

So climb Ginny to the intersection of DR and Powerline then turn round and head back?

For the Valley Loop, clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Looks like I'm heading to Bobcat Ridge

So climb Ginny to the intersection of DR and Powerline then turn round and head back?

For the Valley Loop, clockwise or counter clockwise?

Thanks!
    Only the first 3 miles or so of Ginny is a climb, and then it traverses the back side of the ridge and drops through a saddle and around the front of the hill into Mahoney Park (a cool area with some neat rock features) before intersecting the Powerline Road at the horses-only DR Trail. Turn around here and return the way you came. The Valley Trail is pretty mellow and about the same clockwise as it is counter-clockwise. Given the choice, I usually ride it counter-clockwise.

Now older but less slow!
    Sounds good. I'll be there early afternoon!

slow
    What did you think of Ginny?

Now older but less slow!
    Ginny was one tough ride! She was a cruel hard b!tch going up, but she suck me good going down!

Heading down was a barrel of laughs, but it wasn't all plain sailing. A couple of sections got the better of me but with a little practice and getting to know the trail I don't see why I would not be able to ride the whole thing. But today that wasn't the case. One thing I have noticed about my Tallboy LTc is that it's ridiculously low bottom bracket becomes a bit of a hindrance on trails like this. That's the only real negative to the bike. I guess I could put more air in the rear shock (I think it a bit soft right now) and change to 170mm cranks but that's a hassle. It's only really an issue in the more technical stuff. Anyway today I have a bit less aluminum on my cranks and a bit less paint around my BB

I took video on the descend. I'll post it up later. I may post two. The full 19 minutes top to bottom (yes I know, not that quick) and a shorter highlights vid.

Now older but less slow!
    Oh bonus as well; I had the entire place to myself. Once I got on Ginny I did not see another soul out there. That actually made me a little cautious on the way down as if I crashed there would be no one to rescue me and I didn't have my Delorme Sat/navigator/ELB with me, just my phone for rescue (and I didn't want to trust just my phone).

But rescue concerns aside I loved the peace and solitude of what I can imagine is a busy trail at the weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Ginny was one tough ride! She was a cruel hard b!tch going up, but she suck me good going down!
    HAHA...One of the best trail descriptions I've seen in a while.

Even on the weekends it doesn't get too busy either, I think a majority of the folks that head out there are hiking the lower valley trails because even on days when the parking lot is full it's pretty rare to run into a bunch of people on Ginny. And about the only place I get a cell signal is right up at the top of the ridge, so unless you have a heart attack or something right at the end of the climb you're SOL anyway.