mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Where to ride near Fairplay; June 20th

Staying with some friends in a cabin near Fairplay on the weekend of June 20th. I have never ridden in this area, and was wondering where I should go? We may only have time to ride a couple of days, so I am looking for the good stuff.
    Thanks.

skillz to pay billz
    kenosha pass is your answer

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    kenosha pass is your answer

or

Gold Dust trail (start in Alma, just down the road/Hwy 285)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Actually there's a lot more than Kenosha Pass in the Fairplay area. (It's about a 20 min drive from Fairplay to Kenosha Pass, plus, the higher sections of the CT may not be dry by then). There's the Sheep creek trail, the Beaver creek trail system, a bunch of jeep roads and some single track in the Mosquito range. There's an old ride guide called something like "take a ride in the park" (as in south park) and I think I saw it at the ranger station in Fairplay the last time I was there last summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys! Anyone have any experience with the Arkansas Valley Mountain Biking guidebook?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Arkansas Valley Mountain Biking

I saw this book in the bike shop Leadville. It seems to cover a lot of rides in the area. The guy who wrote it also contributed a lot to other area guides and web sites. That book seems to be best for Buena Vista north to Leadville and Fairplay. The book has a web site www.arkvalleymtb.com. They seem to update the site a lot in the summer, but the trail conditions page seems to lag a little behind.

The other book, Salida Singletrack is more popular in Salida, but it doesn't cover much in the upper parts of the valley.

The old South Park Mountain Biking Guide (take a ride in the park) was written in 1995 and is very out of date. Get it free at the Fairplay Forest Service office.

I like the Gold Dust Trail near Como and the CO Trail from Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass. Sheep Creek is short but fun (the one water crossing is tough); loop it with the Twelve Mile trail to extend the ride, but expect a lot of rocks on 12 Mile. Tumble Creek trail is also fun, but short. I'd combine the Tumble Creek trail with the Salt Creek/McQuaid loop, but there are a ton of fallen trees on te McQuaid trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Arkansas Valley MTB

I'm the author of Arkansas Valley Mountain Biking and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the area or the book. Feel free to e-mail me at info@arkvalleymtb.com and I'll get back to you asap.

Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks so much mwolff001! I'll email if I have any specific questions.