don't try this at home

where to ride around Ft. Collins

what's to ride around ft. collins? looking for xc/trail kind of riding. if you only had 1 day to ride, what would it be? i'm also a sea-leveler visiting, so go easy on me.
    will you rep me?

slow
    If you have transportation or don't mind some pavement on the way to your ride, head up to Horsetooth Mountain Park / Lory State Park. There is good variety up there, though much of it involves climbing (unless you stick to the valley trails). Parking at the Soderburg Open Space parking lot behind the reservoir gives you access to these places, and also to the popular Blue Sky / Indian Summer / Rimrock, and Devil's Backbone trails. You can easily tie these areas into as long a day as you wish.

If you want riding right from town, The Foothills Trail, as is goes through Pineridge, Maxwell, Shoreline, Reservoir Ridge, and the Michaud area is a nice ride, with some technical spots thrown in for good measure.

If you know when you are headed out here and if you want a tour guide, post here and one of the friendly locals should be able to help out.

mtbr member
    If you can drive I would tell you to go up to Curt Gowdy state park up in Wyoming. Its an hour drive but its as about as epic and unforgettable as your ever going to get.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    If you have transportation or don't mind some pavement on the way to your ride, head up to Horsetooth Mountain Park / Lory State Park. There is good variety up there, though much of it involves climbing (unless you stick to the valley trails). Parking at the Soderburg Open Space parking lot behind the reservoir gives you access to these places, and also to the popular Blue Sky / Indian Summer / Rimrock, and Devil's Backbone trails. You can easily tie these areas into as long a day as you wish.

If you know when you are headed out here and if you want a tour guide, post here and one of the friendly locals should be able to help out.
    I agree, horsetooth has options for everyone!

If the timing works could show you around.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    You'll most enjoy the aforementioned HTMP/Lory valley trails and blue sky. Not too tech but definitely challenging for someone not used to Colorado riding. Drive out there, pay the $6 to park, and have a great time. I played tour guide for a guy from Florida last Fall and based on that experience I'd definitely suggest driving to those trail heads.