mtbr member

Where Ride after the snow, Boulder/Superior area?

Staying with friends in Superior. Any suggestions for short rides (1 to 2 hours) even with the snow around? Haven't done D. Draw before, would that be good?

Thanks.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by CU-Murph
    Haven't done D. Draw before, would that be good?
    Thats probably the worst option. The soil there just sticks to your tires when its wet. I'd say your best bet is to check out the Dirty Bismark Loop (Coalton Trail - High Plains - Greenbelt Plateu - Caudry). It was uber dry when I rode it Monday. It may be that since its been so dry it will absorb this snow pretty quickly.

Of course the failsafe option is just to do something like the Poorman Rd loop out of Boulder. Yeah its bike path/paved/dirt road but its still a good workout and you won't have to worry about wet trails and doing damage.

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    Coalton > High Plains > Dowdy Draw > Community Ditch > Coal Seam > Marshall Valley > Cowdrey Draw

(Turn right on 66th after you come out the gate at the end of Cowdrey and follow the dirt road back to Superior.)

Depending on how much the snow slows you down, that should come in right around 2 hours. Leave off Dowdy/Community to cut it back by 30 minutes (and stay a little warmer--it gets cold down in the draw).

Starts and ends right where you are, gives you a few short climbs, several miles of singletrack, and as long as it stays cold it should be a good surface. Don't ride it for a couple of days after the snow melts, though--High Plains and Cowdrey both turn into clay soup (so it's no fun and it really ruts the trails).

Now that you've got me thinking about it I may head out in a little while to do this myself.

There are some good relatively current maps at the City of Boulder's OSMP website.

Edit: Just saw jdub's post--good to know that Dowdy is that awful clay, too. I've only ridden it when it was bone dry. Basically, if the ground is wet, avoid that whole area. You'd probably be okay on the gravel multi-use trails (Greenbelt Plateau, the road at Marshall Mesa), but it's not worth the effort for those few stretches, in my opinion. And definitely avoid High Plains, Cowdrey and the Marshall Valley trails when they're wet. That clay is super-sticky, and those trails get enough use that a whole lot of people, including plenty of Boulder busybodies, will notice the deep ruts left by a few bikers.

mtbr member
    cold doesn't bother me. I think I'll ride later this afternoon, starting sometime b/t 3 and 4. Hopefully with it staying cold, the trails won't be muddly? I would really like to ride Draw. My time is getting limited, so I think I'll only have ann hour to ride. I'll have more time Thursday morning though before dinner at 1 ish. Maybe I'll have to ride the Draw early in the morning to ensure the the ground is still "frozen"?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Morning Ride

Will the conditions be any better in the Thursday morning? With it being really cold tonight, the snow and everything should be solid, right? If so any suggestions on place to ride in the snow. Maybe Hiel, Betasso? Or should I stick to what you guys recommended earlier?

Thanks!!!

skillz to pay billz
    the snow is so light(currently 15˚ out) you won't even notice it.

feel the Force
    Now would be a perfect time for that Apex shuttle! Ha-ha.

Ride Everything
    Dowdy will probably be pretty sticky. Every time I've ridden it (dry), I think, "Man, this'll be a mess come winter."
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Ride Everything
    Anyone been to Walker or Betasso in the last few days?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

skillz to pay billz
    looking down on batasso from magnolia rd. this morning it looks dry. Sugar loaf is all brown. I imagine walker is good to go with some snow in the shade.

mtbr member

betasso

is mostly dry with some packed snow/ice in some area on the backside which keeps you on your toes. no mud

ride
    Um, not quite Superior/Boulder, but we rode Left Hand Canyon OHV tonight. The climb on jeep road was a bit snowy/icy, but the descent was prime!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO