mtbr member
    Jun 2012

When is wind too much wind?

So I was set up to ride this friday but the wind around the afternoon let me thinking about how it's gonna be in the trails and whether it's worth it to take the trip. Add this to an experience where the wind against me was impossible to ride with. I decided to ride Tomorrow (Saturday) and let it go of today.

Today in Fort Collins it was 15-/+ mph wind. The question is: when do you day the wind is to strong I'm not going to ride? 20mph? 25?

Would love to hear your input.

Mohammed
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Depends on whether the wind is with me or against me. ha. Also depends on how long since I have been able to ride due to weather and mud. Sometimes I'll ride in a gale, other times I check the weather station and go back to bed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Depends on additional factors. Wind, in of itself, may not deter me from riding. However, couple the wind with cooler temps (wind chill factor), and I may decide to stay home. If the wind is blowing up a dust storm, I will likely pass on riding. Sustained winds of 50 mph, gusting to 70+ and I'm staying inside.

lucky enough
    kind of like back country skiing - if it's windy I head for the trees which help protect from direct blasts.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohammedqur View Post
    Today in Fort Collins it was 15-/+ mph wind. The question is: when do you day the wind is to strong I'm not going to ride? 20mph? 25?
    60 miles north of you in Laramie, our wind gauges don't start recording until 15 mph -- anything under is considered a "calm" day. I'll go for a mtb ride with sustained 25mph wind and 35 mph gusts as long as it's in the mid-40's or higher. And if I-80's open and the trails are clear up in the "forest", then no wind would call off a mtb ride. Heading out on the road bike -- it's not much fun going out at above a 20 mph wind. On a road bike, almost all rides head west for 2/3 of the ride, sometimes lucky to break 10 mph, then the last 1/3 of the ride is headed east with a tailwind at 30 mph.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I now have raised the bar, after hearing from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Depends on whether the wind is with me or against me. ha. Also depends on how long since I have been able to ride due to weather and mud. Sometimes I'll ride in a gale, other times I check the weather station and go back to bed.
    In today's ride one minute the wind is pushing me, the other is against me. But indeed it definitely helps is you know which way the wind is pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Depends on additional factors. Wind, in of itself, may not deter me from riding. However, couple the wind with cooler temps (wind chill factor), and I may decide to stay home. If the wind is blowing up a dust storm, I will likely pass on riding. Sustained winds of 50 mph, gusting to 70+ and I'm staying inside.
    And I thought 25mph is too much

Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    kind of like back country skiing - if it's windy I head for the trees which help protect from direct blasts.
    Indeed. Today the area in between hills was the most calm while the trail head was wind.

Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    60 miles north of you in Laramie, our wind gauges don't start recording until 15 mph -- anything under is considered a "calm" day. I'll go for a mtb ride with sustained 25mph wind and 35 mph gusts as long as it's in the mid-40's or higher. And if I-80's open and the trails are clear up in the "forest", then no wind would call off a mtb ride. Heading out on the road bike -- it's not much fun going out at above a 20 mph wind. On a road bike, almost all rides head west for 2/3 of the ride, sometimes lucky to break 10 mph, then the last 1/3 of the ride is headed east with a tailwind at 30 mph.
    Good use of natural resources Push first and then ride the wind.

I rode Bobcat Ridge today, and it was great till the end of the ride around 4pm when became crazy windy and mixed that with rain. but I had a blast riding the Vally loop both ways, I didn't think I could do that.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

Now older but less slow!

When is wind too much wind?

If you're a true mountain biker then no strength of wind in too windy. The stronger the wind the more character building it becomes!

Seriously though riding on Marshall Mesa and over to Springbrook one gets used to wind. I find that the wind channeled through Edorado Canyon is often way higher than what the official figures are. I have been in winds that were supposedly only 25mph but where I have barely been able to stand up near the canyon. Winds that have made me want to just sit down and cry. I rode through them though and it made me stronger.

I would say that if the weather is gusty with winds of 25-30mph I'm going out riding if I haven't been out for a while. Over 30mph I'm tending to stay home as I don't like getting smacked in the face by 50-60 mph gusts when the wind gets funneled by the canyons.

All in all though while wind can be soul destroying to ride into some of my most entertaining rides have been in windy and rough weather.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    I have lived in Great Falls, MT and Cheyenne, WY. If I was unwilling to ride in 25-30 mph winds, I didn't ride. I made peace with the wind to keep the passion alive. Now, I never even think about it, regardless of the speed.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Front Range, Colorado
    I was riding the devils Backbone today and had a wild experience Climbing up just past the real rocky technical section The singletrack is a nice 100' drop on my left. And the wind was coming from my left, huge wind I may add. So I'm fighting being blown to my right the whole time.The wind suddenly stopped and then started up again. And in doing so it threw my balance off and I almost tumbled down the 100' cliff. IMO wind sucks'
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was riding up Amasa Back. The wind was howling at a steady 40mph or so with gusts up to maybe 80mph (I'm not exaggerating). I figured this was a "character building" ride. Dammit, I was going to make it to the top! So I'm going across this one section leaning over to my left to balance out the steady wind when this gust comes roaring up, picks me and bike up and deposited me over to my right about 6', BLAM!, right down on some sharp rock. Well, f that, I'm heading back down.

Now I'm leaning to my right on the way down. I get down to this area where I'm picking my way through a bunch of rocks when it happens again. This time I dislocated a finger on my right hand. I pulled and popped it back into place and fought the gale back to my truck which was parked on Kane Creek Road being buffeted by huge plumes of dirt sandblasting the paint job. I headed to McStiffs.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

cbw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Here's a thread I made for the best trails on windy days since I'm still new. Might be helpful for others.

Best Trail on Windy Days?

mtbr member
    backbone was crazy windy yesterday - especially with the storms.... wind is generally a pain in the arse, but it can be more than that. big gusts of crosswind can screw up your balance, especially on tech stuff - i have shortened rides because of dangerous winds - but its not typically a factor on if we go out. you wont ride much in spring if a 25 mph wind will keep you off your bike.