"I want it now!"

Wheelset - Disc compatible for singlespeed

Wheelset - Disc compatible for singlespeed. Is anyone selling a wheelset (cheap) that is disc compatible? Also, do all wheelsets fit a singlespeed?

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    Wheelset - Disc compatible for singlespeed. Is anyone selling a wheelset (cheap) that is disc compatible? Also, do all wheelsets fit a singlespeed?
    You just need any disc hub wheels for a mountain bike, the spacing is 100mm front and 135mm rear (unlike 130mm rear road bike for example). You can use a flat cog and spacers with a lock ring. If you build up a SS specific wheelset, you can use a rear hub for freewheels. Only thing bad then is you can't swap it back to a mountain bike with a cassette anytime later if you changed stuff.

Are we silly single speed people getting to you?

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

"I want it now!"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    You just need any disc hub wheels for a mountain bike, the spacing is 100mm front and 135mm rear (unlike 130mm rear road bike for example). You can use a flat cog and spacers with a lock ring. If you build up a SS specific wheelset, you can use a rear hub for freewheels. Only thing bad then is you can't swap it back to a mountain bike with a cassette anytime later if you changed stuff.

Are we silly single speed people getting to you?

Cheers,

Dave

you guys certainly motivated me. my singlespeed is currently hanging in my basement collecting dust. but i want to upgrade to disc brakes this season. so if i understood you correctly, i can buy any wheelset and a bike shop can make it work from there?

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    you guys certainly motivated me. my singlespeed is currently hanging in my basement collecting dust. but i want to upgrade to disc brakes this season. so if i understood you correctly, i can buy any wheelset and a bike shop can make it work from there?
    Yeah any disk wheelset you get a good deal on, and you can use a cog and spacers and a 12 tooth lock ring, or a company named Gusset makes a spacer kit that comes with a 16T and 18T cog (Mojo Wheels has one in the case... or go talk to Bob or Justin or Hans down at Bike Source, those guys are all hard core single speeders and have a custom aluminum spacer or their own design you may like.

There's a couple other matters, like chain tensioner if necessary if using a vertical droupout frame, and any tensioning device for the axle if using horizontal dropouts, etc.

Or use what you already have on the other wheel if it will still work.

Oh yeah, check this out for SS gear ratio info:

http://www.teambigtime.com/software/ssConvert.htm

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 01-02-2005 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added more winded gibberish...
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

contains quinine
    fwiw, I found everything I was looking for knowledge wise from the Keith Bontrager FAQ that's linked to out of the SS FAQ. I'm out a grand total of $0 for my conversion thus far.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

locked - time out
    I was able to use Justin's SS device (mentioned above) to turn my Planet X pitbull into a singlespeed without using a chain tensioner - the pitbull has vertical dropouts. They're kind of spendy @ $50, but make for a clean setup.