mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wheeler to Miners Creek Trail

Any intel on the climb to Wheeler Pass via Burro Trail to Crystal Creek Rd to Wheeler Trail just past Francies Cabin?

Or is Peak 9 Road the better option?

Awesomist™
    Only ridden it up Peak 9, and we drove to the top. Still a pretty good hump to get to Wheeler Pass from there, and then after you intersect with the CT it's another solid push to get up to Miner's Creek with a fair bit of hike-a-bike. Other folks (mountaingoatepics, hirschmj, etc.) on this board have ridden it via Crystal Creek IIRC and it was even more brutal. Also, searching turns up some beta on different route options. A few I found in 3 minutes with a "wheeler" search:

A Fine Plan Indeed - Wheeler Pass to Miners Creek Trail TR
    Wheeler Pass
    miners creek from copper side
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Full Trucker, the brutality of Crystal Creek is what I'd like to hear about. I did read the Fine Plan Indeed thread as they went up Peak 9 Road.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwine View Post
    Thanks Full Trucker, the brutality of Crystal Creek is what I'd like to hear about. I did read the Fine Plan Indeed thread as they went up Peak 9 Road.
    From what those dudes told me, it sounded like a serious slog.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've always climbed the Peak 9 road and descended Wheeler, Crystal and Burro. More fun descending on single track than a road. Doing it in the opposite direction would be a lot of hike-a-bike, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This is the kind of intel I was looking for, thanks much. I'm thinking I'll stick to Peak 9 Rd and descend the Miners Creek Trail route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is the kind of intel I was looking for, thanks much. I'm thinking I'll stick to Peak 9 Rd and descend the Miners Creek Trail route.
    Thanks this helps me for my first time up to wheeler, how long is the climb up peak 9 rd.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can climb Spruce creek Rd then go over to Crystal Rd on the Aqueduct rd. Climbing Crystal Creek Rd is very burly in spots. Above Francies it's mostly pushing. I wouldn't go that way unless I was planning to go over the pass down to Copper. Doing that long push just to beat yourself up going down peak 9 isn't a good grunt to grin ratio.

The Peak 9 Wheeler, Spruce creek, Burro loop is mostly ridable, but the wheeler coming down is a real brake burner and very technical in spots. Also be aware that Spruce Creek trail (not the road) seems to be where every hotel info desk is sending hikers and it's very busy with foot traffic - so much that any more I don't recommend it to MTBers unless they can go very early or late. On a weekday this time of year there will be 75+ cars at the trailhead parking and along the road and most of them are going to Mohawk Lakes via the Spruce Creek trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Also be aware that Spruce Creek trail (not the road) seems to be where every hotel info desk is sending hikers and it's very busy with foot traffic - so much that any more I don't recommend it to MTBers unless they can go very early or late. On a weekday this time of year there will be 75+ cars at the trailhead parking and along the road
    yeah, whats up with that, total junk show to say the least, lots of tennis shoes and cotton outdoorwear. Lots of families and lots of people who have not spent much time outdoors to say the least.

spruce creek is a bomber east coast style downhill but with the people it can be pretty rough, do take care not to run them over. I thought the peaks trail was a mess, but spruce creek it 10x worse.

from my house in town to the wheeler trail intersection climbing peak 9 road is just over 2000k in climbing, on average it's an 1:40 climb time. On a good day is can be done in 1:20 1:25 if your feeeling good. I'd shoot for 1:30 to 2:00 hrs of pure climbing that just gets worse and you go up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My husband and I are in the area this week and would love to ride this trail via a shuttle. we have a truck that can hold 4 people, 4 bikes. Let me know if anyone's game...we are flexible and can ride almost any day. thanks.

Green Chile Enforcer
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    From what those dudes told me, it sounded like a serious slog.
    It wasn't that bad. A little hike a bike and your at Wheeler.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsons View Post
    My husband and I are in the area this week and would love to ride this trail via a shuttle. we have a truck that can hold 4 people, 4 bikes. Let me know if anyone's game...we are flexible and can ride almost any day. thanks.
    I'd take you up on the shuttle, but I won't be there until next weekend. Thanks for the offer.

Goat of Legend
    If you've climbed Wheeler via Peak 9 and done Wheeler to Copper and Wheeler to Peaks Trail via Miners creek then you owe it to yourself to climb Peak 9 and go down Wheeler to Crystal Creek. I think I met God in that Basin and it was Good.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What do you mean by a shuttle? Drop people in Breck and pick up at Copper? If you're talking about driving up peak 9 road and above, that's a lot of driving and the road is gnarly 4wd above and it's still a climb on the Wheeler from the Jeep rd to the top of the pass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've never done any of these trails so this will be a first time adventure for me. Another question. Once we get to the Miner's Creek/ Peak Trail Junction, is the 'best' route 1) down Peaks Trail to Frisco 2) Miner's Creek down to the Gold Hill TH 3) Take Peaks Trail south back to Breck?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've never done any of these trails so this will be a first time adventure for me. Another question. Once we get to the Miner's Creek/ Peak Trail Junction, is the 'best' route 1) down Peaks Trail to Frisco 2) Miner's Creek down to the Gold Hill TH 3) Take Peaks Trail south back to Breck?
    If your done for the day after that then go the long way down to frisco is my advice, if you are going to continue your ride you might opt for the 2 others.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Are you looking to go back to Breckenridge? At the Miners creek/Peaks intersection you are at almost the high point of the Peaks. Although there is a lot of up and down to get back to Breckenridge via the Peaks, none of the ups are big climbs.

Taking the Gold Hill trail is a good option if you have the legs for it - it's a fairly good climb with a long DH that's technical/rocky in spots. from there you can take the bike path back to Breck or Frisco.

Taking the Peaks to Frisco is a fun descent but unless Frisco is your destination I wouldn't go that way.

Beware of and respect other users no matter what way you go, the Peaks and Gold Hill are both popular trails and you will run into other bikes and foot traffic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Are you looking to go back to Breckenridge? At the Miners creek/Peaks intersection you are at almost the high point of the Peaks. Although there is a lot of up and down to get back to Breckenridge via the Peaks, none of the ups are big climbs.

Taking the Gold Hill trail is a good option if you have the legs for it - it's a fairly good climb with a long DH that's technical/rocky in spots. from there you can take the bike path back to Breck or Frisco.

Taking the Peaks to Frisco is a fun descent but unless Frisco is your destination I wouldn't go that way.

Beware of and respect other users no matter what way you go, the Peaks and Gold Hill are both popular trails and you will run into other bikes and foot traffic.
    Most likely we'll park in a Breck free lot and start the ride there. I see the climb you are referencing on Gold Hill, thanks for pointing that out as I didn't notice it. I will be the car fetching b!tch as the strongest rider in our group. The original plan was to take the Gold Hill Trail down but wanted to get the opinion of others. All of this is great intel and much appreciated. We'll see how the day is going before deciding I suppose. Worst case we can take the Peaks Trail down into Frisco and hitch a ride on the shuttle bus back to Breck. Even worse case, we get to Wheeler and bomb down to Copper.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I recently parked in Frisco, rode path to gold hills, to peaks, up miners to the ct, over the ridge and into copper. Path to Frisco. It was fantastic. After miners there was significant hike a bike as I don't do well above 10k but it was totally worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post

I think I met God in that Basin and it was Good.
    Your not the only one, that's for sure.

whet up there on mushrroms when I was 21 on a fully ridged bike starting at six in the morning, my partner decided we should hammer the ride, and all he kept talking about is the mountain lion he saw up there two week before, there was alot of name calling and great views, and seeing things that weren't really there. by 10 o clock we were back in town with nothing to do

to this day I've never ridden up miners creek from frisco and over to spruce creek, that was 17 or 18 years ago

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well, the well intended plan didn't quite go as planned, BUT we did manage to get up and over Wheeler. Started at Gold Hill TH and pedaled a nice warm up to the Peak 9 Rd. Climbed the road with a few missed turns, too many damn roads and not enough signs, and finally made the hike-a-bike sections above the last lift. My riding partner wasn't in the best of shape for this planned adventure so it took quite the effort to get to the Wheeler Pass cut off trail.

But after 4 hours from the car and cruising across the contours to Wheeler Pass we made it. Best decision, and really the only decision as my partner was feeling it at this point, was to bomb down to Copper Mtn and take the bike path back. After some lunch and soaking in the beautiful views, we took off down. As I never ridden any of this, the downhill was a nice reward for the tough climb up. Only came across a handful of hikers on the down, well plus the badass runner chick who caught us on Wheeler Pass somehow. Pretty steep in some parts and some nice rock gardens to keep you honest.

Too quickly it seemed we hit Copper and began the pedal back to the car. Partners legs were shot so we headed to the Frisco Brewery to enjoy some IPA and my first order of RMO. Quite tasty I should say, they were fried and covered in ranch what's not to like! A day of many first for me.

Since we already hit West Ridge Loop on Friday and since we didn't hit either Peaks Trail or the Colorado Trail/ Gold Hill section, for our last ride of the weekend we parked again at the Gold Hill TH, pedaled over to Peaks Trail. Climbed that to the CT and came back to the car. Nice little loop with a great, gentle climb up Peaks Trail. Certainly enjoyed the down back to the Gold Hill TH.

Overall a pretty good weekend. Thanks everyone for the beta.

lucky enough
    Always nice to hear how a ride turns out. It was a great weekend out there!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine