Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    flatlander in paradise

Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Hey,

So, last week I called WRC to see if they were set up to replace bushing in Rock Shox forks, specifically an old '02 Psylo SL. They went to check if they had the tools, they did, and said it would be $25. Great, I thought. Now, admittedly this is an old fork and it's on my now-beater bike, but if I can get it fixed up nice and new for ~$50 plus me changing the oil, why not?

So fast forward to today, I go down there with just the lower legs of the fork and the new RS bushings. Girl at the service counter first asks me where the rest of the fork is because they can only do the full $80 fork service. I explain last week's phone call to her, and she goes back to the shop to ask around. She comes out and says "you should just invest in a new fork." I have a new bike already, thanks. Then she says they can't get the parts anyway, at which point I remind her that I brought them in with me.

This strikes me as very rude. Am I just over-reacting? Very annoying...

mtbr member
    not surprising...I have not had good luck with their service dep't...had to take my single speed conversion that they built up for me 5 different times to get them to try to fix their mistakes - even swapped out a couple of parts like rear hub, etc to eliminate other 'excuses' - ..long story short....$200 later, I gave up since they could not get it right and just stopped going there.
    check out WestSide - their mechanics are awesome and very friendly.

mtbr member
    Hmmh. They did a decent job on my DH bike in April. They listened carefully to what I wanted to get done, contacted me during the week and pointed out another minor issue to address and got it done on time and at the pre-negotiated price.

I like them for actually checking my brake pads and then replacing the rear and not the front. I got the worn pads from the back as prove and the new ones for the front to replace later.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Thumbs down

Wheat ridge and Westside have always been ***** to me. I will never go to either one of those places ever again. I had a psylo once.

Rocket Scientist
    Ironically our team is/has been sponsored by each. We had Wheatridge as our shop sponsor in 2006 and it was ok. Most of the guys over there are good guys, but it seemed like they didnt want go out of their way for help on certain things. Maybe it was the MTB gravity thing. They sell alot of Road Bikes. It's unbelievable how in with Yeti cycles they are. Apparently they are the #1 Yeti dealer in the world?!?!? I can't gripe too much though, I got 2 of my Yeti's there at a smokin' good deal. Apparently Wheatridge took issue with one of our riders and dropped our whole team even after a stellar year when we finished #2 overall in the Mountain states Cup gravity team standings and represented them well. That was certainly disappointing. I have to say that dealing with Phil Kramer over there was awesome. He's a great guy!

For 2008 our shop sponsor is West Side. Dave, Ty, Chris and the rest of the crew over there are very friendly and nice. I'd recommend you give Westside another go. I don't think you'd have the same issue again. Maybe it was just a bad day.

mtbr member
    Seems to me that every bike shop goes a little haywire this time of year. Lots of bikes in and out and things get confusing.

Last week, WRC replaced a mellon Sram XO trigger shifter with warranty and I didn't even buy it there. They are on the pricy end though, so make sure you get an estimate in writing when you drop your stuff off. Things can add up very quickly there.

percocet pioneer.
    WRC in my opinion is an outstanding bike shop and the only one I would/will ever deal with. I'm sorry your experience with them was not so stellar : (

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    All bike shops have bad days, just like people. If I get bad treatment once, I usually write it off, if it happens twice, I won't go back. Everyone and every business deserves a second chance.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    Wheat ridge and Westside have always been ***** to me. I will never go to either one of those places ever again. I had a psylo once.
    So, have you since found a bike shop's service department that you do like, or should we start narrowing down to consistent variables instead?

Happy to hear about your psylo.

Another very enthusiastic thumbs up for Westside. Consistently helpful, knowledgable, talented, fast, friendly, and all around awesome guys. Ask for Chris, you won't go wrong.

It's Scotch/Romanian
    Wasn't WRC started by a former skinny-tire-spandex-wearing road geek? I am surprised they even knew what a RockShox fork is, let alone offered to service it. If you are riding anything that has a tire wider than 3/4 inch or don't have a carpet-fiber frame well... you're just SOL.

On a side note, I have heard that if you are an employee and reasonably good at photography, you can do a couple of discreet product placement shots and become a manufacturer's rep

mtbr member
    Technically, it was bought by the skinny-tire-spandex-wearign road geeks' dad Eugene. I've found WRC to be pretty knobby friendly actually.

But my mantra is- all bike shops will piss you off eventually because they don't care if you miss your next ride (or next five rides, or the entire season for that matter). The more you can DIY, the better off you are- you are the only person who wants to get you riding again.

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    Technically, it was bought by the skinny-tire-spandex-wearign road geeks' dad Eugene. I've found WRC to be pretty knobby friendly actually.

But my mantra is- all bike shops will piss you off eventually because they don't care if you miss your next ride (or next five rides, or the entire season for that matter). The more you can DIY, the better off you are- you are the only person who wants to get you riding again.
    actually eugene started it, now his son ron runs the place.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I've had good service at WR and even had them go to bat for me with Manitou to get a shock rebuilt (for free) even though it was technically out of warranty by three months. I had two broken frames last year and they were fast and helpful both times. That said, it is a big shop/service dept. --- I prefer the the personal feel of my smaller LBS - Green Mountain Sports (2 Fonzies!). There I know the people and can put names with faces/know who I spoke to on the phone.
    Hairylegs has the right idea - do as much of your maintenance on your own as you can - it's good to know the stufff and you'll always be back out riding faster!

Thread Terrorist
    With WRC having many employees, you probably talked to a really reasonable person that understands your situation. In hindsight, get their name. As for the person that helped you when you showed up, always a different take.

I've had mixed success with WRC. I bought my first mtn bike there when I decided to come out of MTB retirement (haa haa haa). I've had some of the guys in the back be really cool with helping me out, but I lost faith when the rear triangle broke and a warranty was involved... It really depends on who you work with.

The new place is really nice, but I get the feeling that margins are tighter. with the snazzy showroom, and center 'sales person' station, I get the feeling of a car showroom. Not my thing, but I'll buy things in there every now and then (mostly for road bike stuff for the wife).

Going, Going, Gonzo
    Ask for Doug Bittle. He's been a service tech at WRC for over 20 years. If he doesn't know the answer, he'll know who will.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    In my opinion WRC has gone downhill quick since their expansion. I know the girl the OP is talking about also, I have had my problems with her also. She is clueless and should not be in the service dept. WRC used to be really good and care about your problem, now just too many young people working for them that think bikes are "cool" but don't have any knowledge to give you. Like indecent said it is hit or miss with them, I try not to go there now but when I do I make an effort to talk to staff that I know has been there for years.

Motion activated
    WRC has been good to me over the years. Above and beyond sometimes - they had Avid replace a set of Jucy 7's out of warranty due to a know defect. IIRC they even set up the bike with a loaner brake while waiting on avid. No charge on that one so I gave them a nice tip

Haven't been in there in a while, hope things improve .
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

slack jawed
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs

+1
    I've got nothing witty to say....

Farva's #1
    Yes John Cocktoastin (is that a Fletch line?), you can become a rep for a bike manufacturer. I am very jealous of that certain person.

feel the Force
    All shops have this cyclical nature (no pun intended). The level of expertise of the employees tends to rise and fall. Face it, good people willing to work for $8.50 an hour are hard to come by, and even harder to keep. All shops have bad days and good days, sure, but I recommend finding the individual in the shop that you have a good relationship with. Then when they move on, you move with them. Kinda like a good hair stylist.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    One more for the thumbs up for wrc, when a bolt broke inside my 2 yr old stumpy. After some back and forth with the spec. rep they decided to replace my frame with the new rear fox float and upgrade the frame to a stumpy pro. WRC did a parts swap modified my 80mm fox to a 100, put a new seat post on. The only out of pocket i had was the cost of new cables $20.00 maybe. Gave me a demo because i had a moab trip planned. I thought they took care of me, although i haven't been on that bike in a couple years (only ride the singlespeed now).
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    with the snazzy showroom, and center 'sales person' station, I get the feeling of a car showroom.
    I've found that car showroom has come with a pushy car salesman like experience with some of their floor staff too

Stand back
    WRC - I don't go there anymore - they're always seemingly too busy for me to get in and out quickly, and I've had numerous bad experiences. I had one guy trying to tell me that my sx did not have different shock shuttles for adjustable geometry, and that after talking to specialized, found out that the 2 numbers listed in the catalogue for ha and bb height were misprints. He didn't know what to say about the sticker on the downtube that listed both sets of numbers.
    One phone call to the Fix got me taken care of, tho.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 05-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by john cocktoastin
    Wasn't WRC started by a former skinny-tire-spandex-wearing road geek? I am surprised they even knew what a RockShox fork is, let alone offered to service it. If you are riding anything that has a tire wider than 3/4 inch or don't have a carpet-fiber frame well... you're just SOL.

On a side note, I have heard that if you are an employee and reasonably good at photography, you can do a couple of discreet product placement shots and become a manufacturer's rep
    Do you really think WRC is a bad place to go, i am new here and i need to know where to go

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Green Mt Sports is my vote.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast