mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Whats your SS gear in FtC?

What gear are Single Speeders riding in Ft. Collins area? I just moved here from Phoenix and I am trying to decide whether to convert my SS (32x17)back to a geared bike or just get into better shape!

slow
    36x20 or 36x21 (Equivalent gear inches to a 32x18 and 32x19)

Using it in Lory State Park, and on Michaud, Shoreline and Maxwell trails on the front side of the reservoir, and it seems to work OK. Haven't had it into Horsetooth Mountain Park. Spins out pretty quickly on the flats, but climbs the steeps pretty well.

I don't ride it as often as my gearys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Welcome to Colorado! The short answer to your question is that you WILL get in better shape for all the climbing, especially if you hop on your SS. I moved here last year and at first had doubts that I would be able to ride my Single Speed ANYWHERE! Now I'm riding it more than my geared bikes. I started out 32x20 but have moved up to 32x18. However, I think I would put the 20 back on for Horsetooth.

I know a bunch of riders from Phoenix - Kathleen Kingma, Dale Wiggens, Lynnette Klien, Carmen Bastek, to name a few. You know any of them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the "Welcome"! No I do not know any of them, I was taking classes during the week and working 16 hour shifts on weekends for the last 6 years (I'm a nurse). Most of my riding was solo. Az has some awesome trails! But the summers always kept me inside. I am glad to be in Colorado, now I just need to get back into shape!

killin it
    Jun 2005

stand or walk, eh!

Most peeps I know run 32:16 for horsetooth and other areas. stop by road34 sometime to go on a ride.

Moderator Moderator
    rigid 29"er = 36x19

yes, I have to walk some of the hills but since FTC is flat as a pancake in town I prefer to push a little bit of a gear.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator