mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What's rideable thread...

Anyone know if the Colorado Trail is rideable @ Buff Creek? Looking for some options other than Heil/Hall loop tomorrow and sandywash @ Buff Creek. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I don't know

about CO trail from top of SM towards GM, but from ranger station you can do SMill > CO trail > buff burn > CO traill to chair rocks and back, that's all clear and I think that alone is 20+ miles and 3k ish vert. I know your washed out, but you could then trow in a nice lollipop thing we did the other day up Sandy > M Gulch fork > trail head > loop up around the road by the mill and catch skipper back to charlies back down SW or whatever. That would be a pretty substantial ride.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    That sounds like that may be the next t.i.t.s. route, have been wanting to change it up a bit. If any body wants to bail out they could just turn around. Mateo how much longer is this pinball thing goin? Thanks for the heads up on gas, made it to kings valley on fumes lastnight!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Mateo... I don't think I've ever ridden that sequence. That'll be a great ride!

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    If any body wants to bail out they could just turn around.
    Don't believe him - I tried to bail last night, right before the last stretch of climbing and they wouldn't let me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Don't believe him - I tried to bail last night, right before the last stretch of climbing and they wouldn't let me!
    Hah. I remember hearing PBR mumble something about it being shorter to finish the ride out. All lies.

Got single track/speed?
    I thought it was something like, "After this short climb, it's all downhill from here! (except for a few rollers)."

Quote Originally Posted by jlang002
    Hah. I remember hearing PBR mumble something about it being shorter to finish the ride out. All lies.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I've ridden the burn area, but have never had anyone point out which features were Chair Rock and which were Elephant Rock. I figured that chair rock was the rock that looks like a lazyboy (with mine eqpt around it and a car I think)... I mean, it looks like a chair... lol Anyone have pics of those rocks?

Chair Rock?:

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

chair rocks

are off the CO trail going towards the platte. If you were riding the buff burn trail cross 126 and continue on the CO trail, you'll run right into Chair Rocks after a few miles. Actually they are a bit to the left off the road you cross right before you start going down down down to the platte. It's a huge formation.

Found a pic, Ed scouting a sketchy line

Now with 20% more fat!!
    The rock I posted above is actually on the CO Trail (off the right side of the trail) as you are just about to start the decent to the Platte... well beyond where it crosses 126... So those big rocks must be around there somewhere... Thanks for the heads up, Mateo!