Big Boned

What's Rideable In Golden 2/20?

Looks like I'll be down in Denver tomorrow (2/20). What, if anything, is in good enough condition to ride? I was thinking MW, maybe White Ranch.

Anyone?
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Look Out Mountain ... on a road bike. Everything is sloppy and muddy right now. Give it, say, a month.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode a portion of Centennial Cone the other day starting at the Mayhem Gulch area and it was clear most of the way to the main trail. Once on the main loop I headed counter clockwise and there was enough riding until it started to get dark. A little out of the way, but if you are going to be driving by there, like I was, take the mtn bike and ride some dirt for a change.

If you ride before it warms up too much, I always have good luck riding Apex and heading up Pick n Sledge to Sluice Box and back down "the gut" of Apex in the morning.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I rode South Table Mountain last evening (2/19) and there were a few patches of mud, but for the most part, it was dry. Definitely ridable.

Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Big Boned
    How does one get to this South Table Mountain?

mtbr member
    There are many access points to S. Table Mtn. The dryest ones are on the South side of the hill next to NREL on Denver West Blvd (take I-70 to Denver West exit and go to the mountain). Wave to me while you hit the trail- I'll be working across the street.

There's some fun stuff up there but really it falls under the "better than no ride" category. The trails towards West end of the mesa tend to be rockier and more fun than the ones towards the East end. Be sure to check out the old moto-cross mini-track up there if it's not muddy. The North side is probably too muddy to ride still.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    My fav access point is take Indiana from Colfax or 6th avenue north until it turns into South Golden Road. Proceed to Quaker (stoplight with a 7/11 on the corner), turn right. If you were to go straight, you'd end up at the State Patrol course and behind a gate that could potentially be locked, so bear left (follow the pavement) onto Golden Hills Road. There's a pull out on your right about 1/4 mile down the road, just before you get to Salvia St. Park there and ride up! That flat bit from the trailhead was the muddiest bit of the whole trail, so it gets better on top.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

The roads...

are nice and dry...lookout to mt vernon and back. Trails are far from ready for bikes.

Big Boned
    I had a change of plans and wound up hitting Mayhem Gulch to Juniper on CC.

Happy to report that, indeed, Mayhem Gulch and all the south-facing stuff in Centennial is 98% clear and dry. I only hit one short muddy section and two short bits of packed snow on the way up Mayhem. Otherwise, the trail up is firm and dry for the most part. The north-facing stuff on Juniper is all snowed over, and may be rideable early in the morning when it's still crunchy. Probably worth checking out very early in the morning sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Man, I should've gone to Centennial Cone today. Didn't even think of it. I guess hunting/calving season is over?

My normal method of assessing the DR/GM conditions without going there is to check my front yard. It failed today (perhaps it melts faster with the xeriscaping than the lawn?)

I did Dakota Ridge and it was too soon (for which I felt a little bad, but I didn't add any ruts to the side of the trail). It would've been nice to have ice skates for the staircase up from the saddle, too. From my vantage point it looked like MW is far away from rideable and I'd guess that GM is quite a few warm days away from being good, too.

Big Boned
    Feldy - hunting closure at CC is only Dec-Jan. The elk calving closure on the Elk Trail is in effect indefinitely (my understanding is it ends when the elks leave, sometime in May) and only includes the doubletrack. The Travois trail, Juniper/Mayhem, and Evening Sun singletracks are all technically open right now, though there's enough snow in the north-facing stuff to make the south facing stuff inaccessible unless you want to walk through snow. I'm going to check out the trail from the south lot, probably Friday morning if you're up for it. Hopefully the snow will be crusty enough to get from the lot to the first creek crossing, and beyond that it should be rideable most of the way to the top of the first downhill switchbacks.

Not the most thrilling trail, I know, but beggars can't be something something...

mtbr member
    I'm working during the day this Friday, so no dive. I've got the ight shift next week on Mon,Wed,Fri. Depending on weather I'll be biking or skiing so maybe we can hook up then.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Can't remember the even/odd thing out there. Are bikes on Saturday or Sunday this weekend?

Light freak
    Even days = 2 wheels
    Odd days = hiker only

http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspac...alendar_08.pdf

Don't forget about the seasonal closure
    http://www.jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R115.htm

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Thanks, Scar! Whoa, I didn't know you came out in the daylight with all those lights abounding on that other page.

I can't open adobe files right now, so I can't check the closure map, but from the sounds of it, Mayhem Gulch should be ok, as well as Travois & Juniper.

feel the Force
    I always remember "Hikers are ODD" to figure out the alternating use schedule.