6 25.00%
  • Morrison Creek

1 4.17%
  • Tramway

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Really I am that slow

What's more Funner to go down in buff creek

My friend Josh and I where discussion about this...
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Of those choices I would have to say Sandy Wash. It's just soooo long. Gashouse is really fun long DH as well. Really all the riding is so good you can't go wrong out there. The only thing I don't like about Sandy Wash is it dumps you out on the jeep road and you have to pedal miles before reaching more trail. There are other routes that maximize the Singletrack IMO.

Nice meeting you out there yesterday. Hope you didn't get rained on too bad. The moisture sure did improve the trail conditions in a hurry though.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

mtbr member

Where's Charlie's Cutoff?

I voted for Sandy Wash because there's nothing wrong with that downhill but I think Chaz's cutoff is the best section trail in Buffal Creek. Gotta love those S turns and slick rock sections.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They are all great downhills but Morrison Creek is the best for blind corners where you can run unexpected uphill bikers off the trail.
    WTF

Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I voted for Sandy Wash because there's nothing wrong with that downhill but I think Chaz's cutoff is the best section trail in Buffal Creek. Gotta love those S turns and slick rock sections.
    A few, very fun downhill trails are missing from the list.

Personally I consider Charlie's as part of the Sandy descent. I measured 5+ miles from the beginning of Charlie's to the bottom-bottom of Sandy. A hell of a run for sure.

Similarly, Shinglemill is not mentioned. I would consider the trail section from the CT intersection, across 550 and right at the Morrison Y to be the Shinglemill descent. I think that is a 4+ miler end-to-end and it rocks!

My vote goes to Baldy, as long as I don't encounter the pesky people who insist on climbing the damn thing

Ed

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    A few, very fun downhill trails are missing from the list.

Similarly, Shinglemill is not mentioned. I would consider the trail section from the CT intersection, across 550 and right at the Morrison Y to be the Shinglemill descent. I think that is a 4+ miler end-to-end and it rocks!

My vote goes to Baldy, as long as I don't encounter the pesky people who insist on climbing the damn thing

Ed
    I have to agree with edemtbs. Shinglemill is the best DH run as it is very fun to ride through the burn, is rollercoasterish, and it's long.

Gashouse is boring at the top and switch-backy enough at the bottom to make it too slow.

I always ride up Sandy Wash, and personally believe this is the only way to enjoy riding it. Uphill you don't notice the ruts as much, and there are a couple little semi-technical sections (for BC) that make it fun.

Tramway reminds me of Connecticut--really rocky and overgrown. It might be better if there was less vegetation. It also seems choppy, like there isn't much flow. That may be because it's cut right in two by 550. And there is that section that is part of someone's driveway.

Baldy is very good as a DH--super buff and straight, so you can get up to maximum speed. But it's lacking in length and rollercoasterishness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Fresh in my mind

So I voted for Morrison Creek. Yesterday was the first time I've gone DOWN Morrison Creek. I have always gone UP it. I had a blast rippin' down it behind brg.

As far as I know it, I don't think I've done Trmaway or Charlie's Cutoff, unless it was on a ride where I was just following along and not paying attention to where I was (happens sometimes!).

Quote Originally Posted by eddyturn
    They are all great downhills but Morrison Creek is the best for blind corners where you can run unexpected uphill bikers off the trail.
    Heh-heh, I resemble that remark, especially on the turns that have aspens bordering them. I got a little carried away on Saturday, oops. I wonder if that was you I saw at the last second?

Ed

Your retarded
    Heh-heh, I resemble that remark, especially on the turns that have aspens bordering them. I got a little carried away on Saturday, oops. I wonder if that was you I saw at the last second?

Ed
    OMG!!! You guys should know better!!! Uphill rider always has right of way! You hooligans are giving mountain biking a bad name with your reckless disregard for human life and in doing so, are eroding the fragile reputation that the mountain bike world clings to. I always yield to everyone, all the time. I am a trail saint. I can't believe you inferior spandex bunnies don't know the rules of the trail. I bet you were even wearing a full-face-helmet and ar-mor! OMG! The rules are so obvious. I always yield. I always know the rules of right of way. I always stop and politely inform others of the rules and 99.9% they are reckless downhillbillies. I think my "always" key is stuck... please send for help.

Anyone ever notice the words "always" and "99.9%" seem to be a popular choices when MTBR peeps are lecturing one another?

STS, I have never ridden Buffalo Creek, even though I grew up around those parts. However, ask me again after the 16th and I'll have an answer.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Yappy little dog!

Voted for Baldy, but...

I might get slapped because it is technically a jeep road. I reallly like Miller Gulch into Sandy Wash. Miler Guld is a nice long DH with HUGE water berms. It's almost like a pump track.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I have to agree with edemtbs. Shinglemill is the best DH run as it is very fun to ride through the burn, is rollercoasterish, and it's long.
    Well we sort of agree

I love the Shinglemill descent but picked Baldy overall even though it is a tad short, it keeps you on your toes better and has great variety.

Gashouse is boring at the top and switch-backy enough at the bottom to make it too slow.
    Gashouse is not switch-backy at the bottom, maybe in the middle a little. And remember, there is the upper GH section that runs to the fence and dirt parking area, then bears left to the lower GH section that is a wide open screamer to the bottom of Baldy. But as usual for BC watch out for front wheel grabbing soft sand, ruthless ruts and slick as snot pea gravel.

I always ride up Sandy Wash, and personally believe this is the only way to enjoy riding it. Uphill you don't notice the ruts as much, and there are a couple little semi-technical sections (for BC) that make it fun.
    Wow, Sandy is a good climb alright but I would much rather climb Gashouse and swoop down Charlie's/Sandy for sure. The ruts are really tricky this year and are caused by the heavy rains we've been having.

Baldy is very good as a DH--super buff and straight, so you can get up to maximum speed. But it's lacking in length and rollercoasterishness.
    Baldy has some hella turns too, some slickrock, dark forest and what I think is a wonderful roller-coaster finish through a burn area.

LOL, I know the BC area too well. The great thing about BC is that it has a little something for everyone except the most diehard of technical riders. It definitely does not have drops, big rollers, or long steep dh type and rocky runs.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    OMG!!! You guys should know better!!! .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....

STS, I have never ridden Buffalo Creek, even though I grew up around those parts. However, ask me again after the 16th and I'll have an answer.
    LOL, on Saturday while I rode I was thinking of a "Father, forgive me for I have skidded...." prayer, 'cause you know I did skid ....By accident of course and 99.9% of the time I don't skid, really.

Bring your most xc'ish bike to the Epic Nickle

Ed

Your retarded
    Bring your most xc'ish bike to the Epic Nickle
    You know that's not saying much.

I plan on bringing both the trials bike and the beastly hardtail you saw at the Gathering.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Only some these trails are mutually exclusive. I like Shinglemill over Morrison or Tramway. And IMHO, ALL BUFF CREEK RIDES must end with Charlie's Cutoff > Sandy Wash.

Edit to add, this poll should also include which is the better way to ride the Green Mtn. route.

mtbr member
    What about Strawberry Jack and Buck Gulch? Buck has some of the steepest sections in the area.

Green Mtn should be riden Counter Clockwise IMO.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

master lurker

going down

[QUOTE=Rontele]And IMHO, ALL BUFF CREEK RIDES must end with Charlie's Cutoff > Sandy Wash.QUOTE]
    Agreed...although it was fun hitting Miller's for the first time. FAST.

More firsts: Up Gashouse - a lot more enjoyable than climbing Baldy.

Down (from CT) Shinglemill > Morrison - I think I'm still smiling from that DH. Will try to incorporate into my BC rides. I used to like Tramway, and it flows nice from the CT, but...too much other Singletrack DH.

Good running into you John and thanks for the new route Dave.

jd

ps - for my money Green Mountain = counter clock wise

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [QUOTE=ghost.97]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    And IMHO, ALL BUFF CREEK RIDES must end with Charlie's Cutoff > Sandy Wash.QUOTE]
    Agreed...although it was fun hitting Miller's for the first time. FAST.

More firsts: Up Gashouse - a lot more enjoyable than climbing Baldy.

Down (from CT) Shinglemill > Morrison - I think I'm still smiling from that DH. Will try to incorporate into my BC rides. I used to like Tramway, and it flows nice from the CT, but...too much other Singletrack DH.

Good running into you John and thanks for the new route Dave.

jd

ps - for my money Green Mountain = counter clock wise
    Is Ghost 97 a phish reference? If so, noice choice. For some reason I am a clockwise Green Mtn rider and think the best route for buff creek is park at the ranger station > road > FS 550 > CO Trail > either Shinglemill > climb gashouse or CO Trail > Green Mtn > climb Gashouse > descend Charlie's cutoff > Sandy

Baldy should never be ridden uphill.

skillz to pay billz
    I believe the term is 'mo' funna'

edit:
    Last edited by nOOby; 08-27-2007 at 02:28 PM.

master lurker

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost.97
    I don't even need to click that link to know that it is 11/17/97 Set 1, following that amazing Tweezer opener, Reba, and Train Song.

I miss Phish.

The Dog.
    Charlie's to Sandy is the best a day or two after rain. Sometimes Sandy is...well...too sandy, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost.97
    That was a Birthday show for me. Good times!

mtbr member

Sandy for me

I must admit, I ride up Baldy. I think it makes a good climb. I like to do it after climbing from Pine Valley, then rolling down Charlies/Sandy. Good breather along the creek and then the final climb up Baldy. The big rock tells me I'm just about there. I actually like riding the road along the creek, because we just don't have enough trails around here where you can enjoy water for more than a mile or so. Morrison is fast and fun, but too short. Charlies to Sandy Wash just feels like it lasts forever.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Well we sort of agree

I love the Shinglemill descent but picked Baldy overall even though it is a tad short, it keeps you on your toes better and has great variety.

Gashouse is not switch-backy at the bottom, maybe in the middle a little. And remember, there is the upper GH section that runs to the fence and dirt parking area, then bears left to the lower GH section that is a wide open screamer to the bottom of Baldy. But as usual for BC watch out for front wheel grabbing soft sand, ruthless ruts and slick as snot pea gravel.

Wow, Sandy is a good climb alright but I would much rather climb Gashouse and swoop down Charlie's/Sandy for sure. The ruts are really tricky this year and are caused by the heavy rains we've been having.

Baldy has some hella turns too, some slickrock, dark forest and what I think is a wonderful roller-coaster finish through a burn area.

LOL, I know the BC area too well. The great thing about BC is that it has a little something for everyone except the most diehard of technical riders. It definitely does not have drops, big rollers, or long steep dh type and rocky runs.

Ed
    Maybe I'm biased because I ride Sandy Wash - Charlie's - Baldy as a regular route. The last time I went down Gashouse I just didn't like that upper section from the Baldy cutoff. Then there were the switchbacks (that slowed me down, but might not slow others). If you discount the trail immediately before and after the slickrock on Baldy, then it's all super fast. The bottom part through the burn area is fun, but it just doesn't last as long as Shinglemill. It's sort of an anti-climatic end to riding through the trees--fun to try and pump your way through, though.

Look, this is silly. Everything I've ever ridden at BC has been good. It's just I have my preferences. It's like asking, "Which is the best flavor of ice cream?"

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Look, this is silly. Everything I've ever ridden at BC has been good. It's just I have my preferences. It's like asking, "Which is the best flavor of ice cream?"
    Agreed, it's all good and Shinglemill and Sandy definitely feel endless. I just like getting into the details when I talk about BC

Oh.... B&J's Cherry Garcia

Ed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast