Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    156

    What's Fort Collins looking like?

    We're trying to figure out where to head in mid April, thing is we need to base it out of Denver for a couple of the guys. So what about Fort Collins? Are the good trails likely to be clear- I know nothing is for sure?

    Archie

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaba Klaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,673
    In April the Fort should be completely clear,all trails rideable. In fact the snow is almost gone already. We are just now suffering through the mud following the thaw.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    156
    Is there camping outside of town? We're usually better off a little ways from town.

    Archie

  4. #4
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,190
    Up the Poudre Canyon you will find plenty of camping. I think it starts opening up in April.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,320
    You do relize that Ft.Collins is 1.5 hours from denver, add another 1/2 hour if you are camping up the poudre. I might suggest Golden, or South surburban Denver, both have good riding, and are much closer.

  6. #6
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    you can camp at west magnolia in nederland. 1 hour from denver. central to many trails

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    182
    If it takes you 1.5 hrs to get to the Fort from Denver than you might be doing it wrong. Doesn't even take us an hour,even on weekday mornings,to get to D.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    156
    Personally, the farther from a major city the better, so I was hoping to be able to find something with in a couple hour drive from Denver. I'll be coming from Idaho, but a couple of the guys have to be in Denver and one willl be flying in and out of there. This is prompting us look around Fort Collins, but Nederland has me curious. I only see two trails listed there, is there a good guide book or webpage out there? What is the riding season looking like this year? What kind of terrain are we talking about? We're looking for mostly XC stuff, but also like some light stunts.

    Thanx again,
    Archie

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    139
    if you're headed up the poudre a couple of my favorites are hewletts and youngs gulch, youngs is definitely technical but a lot of fun, plus there is a campground close by that you could ride to. Check out dpmbp.org for directions

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    182
    There's also Lory state park right outside of Ft. Collins. They've got some trails and they got that new bike park. It's got a pump track. And some pretty sweet jumps-ala Napoleon Dynamite. Also a few stunts. You can prolly find pics of it

  11. #11
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    only icy hot stuntaz are allowed in nederland.

    from west magnolia, you would be able to access south st vrain/brainard lake/sourdough, golden gate state park, west mag trails, dots, jenny creek/rollins pass, Hall ranch, batasso, walker ranch and more all within an hour

  12. #12
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Personally, the farther from a major city the better, so I was hoping to be able to find something with in a couple hour drive from Denver.
    From Horsetooth to DIA is about 1 hour. Horestooth Res has camping if you want to be 5 miles outside a major city but in the thick of it trail-wise. There are probably over 75 miles of trail in the Horsetooth area. In April you could find a spot with others not too close I bet.

    If you want to go deeper in the woods, Poudre Canyon as others have suggested (Pingree Park is good) but for trail access from a capground you can't beat Horsetooth.

    If you want primitive camping and close to Denver - I might suggest Evergreen/Conifer/Nederland/etc. Fort Collins trails are always dry first though typically after a big wet spring snow though.

    Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: santacruzchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    304
    Hey guys
    I have to be in Ft. Collins next week for a conference and I was wondering if it was worth it to bring my bike over. Are there any trails close to town that are dried out and rideable now? How about Devil's Backbone area? I don't get out of the conference till about 3:30 p.m. every day, so I'm looking for something I can ride between then and dark.
    Oh yeah- and as long as I'm asking the locals: what are the best bars to drownd my boring work-conference sorrows at?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: santacruzchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    304
    oh geeze- I mean "DROWN" !

  15. #15
    single track ****
    Reputation: front range migz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    624

    Bring the bike

    Backbone and connecting trails should be good. For beer I like Cooper Smith's(food,pool, and good beer), Odell's Brewery, and Trail Head Bar since it has Arrogant Bastard on tap.

  16. #16
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,190
    Bring the bike. Assuming the storm on Sunday doesn't bring a ton of moisture, most of the local stuff should be pretty good. Bobcat was good the other day, and the stuff on the front side of the reservoir has been dry. Plenty of time to ride between 3:30 and dark.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaba Klaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,673
    Definitely bring the bike! In addition to sgltrak: Devil's Backbone was bone dry this weekend. Blue Sky Trail had only a very few tacky spots.

    We'll have warm and sunny days this week. Until Sunday. So unless we really get a huge load of snow with the weekend storm all trails mentioned and a few more should be dry.

    To drown your sorrows: All named above and road34. Road34 is a bar and bike shop.

  18. #18
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Surfside Seven has what might be the best juke box.. well... ever. Plus they have daily happy hour specials including (I might be wrong so don't hold it against me...) $2 New Belgium prods and uber-cheap pizza. And there is usually interesting local art on the walls otherwise adorned in a tiki-motif.
    Bring the bike and bail on that conference early!
    **** censorship

  19. #19
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Anyone gonna try getting out today? Putting something together with Singlecrack via text right now.
    **** censorship

  20. #20
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,190
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Anyone gonna try getting out today? Putting something together with Singlecrack via text right now.
    Maybe mid afternoon. PM or post up details when you have it worked out and I'll see if I can swing it.

  21. #21
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Noonish departure seems to be the consensus. Probably DBB or Ginny as the fast-dry go-to spots. I'll post specifics after I talk more with chris.
    **** censorship

  22. #22
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    Coyote Ridge to Indian Summer was 99% bone dry today and the remaining 1% was merely "tacky"



    more images hosted here: http://www.subliminalshiver.com/Subl...Blue_Sky_.html
    **** censorship

  23. #23
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Coyote Ridge to Indian Summer was 99% bone dry today and the remaining 1% was merely "tacky"



    more images hosted here: http://www.subliminalshiver.com/Subl...Blue_Sky_.html
    Love what you did with your site. A good tool for sure.

    And to add what you said.....yep, trails are drying out nicely.

    Easy spin

  24. #24
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,710
    With such favorable conditions present on Indian Summer, anyone interested in doing the Ginny trail on Friday? Should be similar to today, assuming all meterologists are completely trustworthy. Probably head out around 11am with intentions on riding the singletrack to Mahoney park and back.
    **** censorship

  25. #25
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    you can camp at west magnolia in nederland. 1 hour from denver. central to many trails
    It would have to be real warm for the trails to dry by mid april. That's still a reall good snow month for the area. End of May would be a better bet for Nederland W.Mag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •