Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's the best places to live, work, ride & etc in CO?

Hello,

I know this may be a really broad question and I know there will be a variety of different opinions, but I wanted to hear some input/ideas.

I've been thinking of moving to Colorado for some time now and would love to hear opinions on what's the best place to live, work, ride & etc?

I like the Boulder area, but I'm also fond of Colorado Springs...and really open to almost any area. I'm currently living in So. California, but feel it may be time to make a move.

So what's the best....based on Work, Real Estate (buying or renting), Riding, Social and etc?

Love to hear some opinions...

Cheers-
    Scott

mutaullyassuredsuffering

One of many threads...

Moving to area - Questions

I vote for Golden/Littleton/Lakewood/Evergreen. Although those towns aren't exactly hopping, you are 20 min from Denver and 20 min from Boulder.

Boulder County is a pretty tough place to be a Mtn. Biker, and housing will cost a third more than many other places.

VooDoo user.
    Fruita / grand junction. Awesome biking and you could work in Junction.

Added bonus is that Moab is less than an Hour and a 1/2 away.

slow
    Fort Collins / Loveland area

Reasonable real estate and bike friendly towns. Good riding within reasonable distance.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i think a lot will depend on what type of work you will be looking for....i live in denver and think its great (after living in gunnison for 10 years)...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

loco
    I also second the Evergreen/Littleton/Lakewood/Golden area.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Golden is probably the most centrally located town as far as Front Range riding goes. JeffCo is also the model country for tending to mountain bikers. Boulder/Lyons/Fort Collins stuff is just a short drive away, as is Colorado Springs/Pueblo. It is also just a short distance from Keystone and other resorts for summer DH and winter skiing. Less than 3hrs away from Grand Juncion and Fruita. And close to civilization. Real estate is reasonable and as an added bonus you can always swing by Coors brewery for the short tour.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

banned
    Apr 2006
    Carbondale

mtbr member
    Commerce City, they have a kick ass pump track. I'm still trying to find it though

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcolo96
    Commerce City, they have a kick ass pump track. I'm still trying to find it though
    Coop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    colorado springs is prettry damn sweet for mtb and it is a fairly cool place all together.
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Laramie
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Burdman
    Hello,

I know this may be a really broad question and I know there will be a variety of different opinions, but I wanted to hear some input/ideas.

I've been thinking of moving to Colorado for some time now and would love to hear opinions on what's the best place to live, work, ride & etc?

I like the Boulder area, but I'm also fond of Colorado Springs...and really open to almost any area. I'm currently living in So. California, but feel it may be time to make a move.

So what's the best....based on Work, Real Estate (buying or renting), Riding, Social and etc?

Love to hear some opinions...

Cheers-
    Scott
    My vote's for Golden. I got a job here in November and live in Superior. Bring my bike to work and I'm 5-10 min from Apex, Lookout, white ranch etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just moved to CO last month from NYC and I love it out here. Tons of riding everywhere. I moved around Nederland 30 min from boulder and 40 from denver. It still is better than my 1 hour new york commute to go 15 miles. I havent taken advantage of all the trails around me yet since I only have my Dirt jump bike out here( not enough space in the moving van for my XC bike).

I can't wait to know more about the area. I see TONS of road bikers though, My driving back from Boulder is like trail of spadex.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

some where around the eastern border

there hardly any cars, no hills to wear you out and the sun sets late!

just kidding of course

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rafg
    I just moved to CO last month from NYC and I love it out here. Tons of riding everywhere. I moved around Nederland 30 min from boulder and 40 from denver. It still is better than my 1 hour new york commute to go 15 miles. I havent taken advantage of all the trails around me yet since I only have my Dirt jump bike out here( not enough space in the moving van for my XC bike).

I can't wait to know more about the area. I see TONS of road bikers though, My driving back from Boulder is like trail of spadex.
    Hey welcome. Now for your first lesson in mountain living, shut it.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Ohh no.. I smell spandex! I must be close to Boulder and all the snobs....

Yourself.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Damon - You're getting your Boulder County stereotypes confused. Low elevation Boulder CITY folks are spandex - preferably bright colors with the logos of Italian pasta makers. High elevation folks (Ned, Rollinsville, Ward...) wear burlap and/or chainmail. Get it straight. S

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Damon - You're getting your Boulder County stereotypes confused. Low elevation Boulder CITY folks are spandex - preferably bright colors with the logos of Italian pasta makers. High elevation folks (Ned, Rollinsville, Ward...) wear burlap and/or chainmail. Get it straight. S
    Damnit... I could just feel that I was missing something or someone when I spewed out that drivel!

I blame it on the smell of insideout spandex...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Watch it.....

unless you are a native and display the sticker proudly on you bumper....

Team Inflexible
    Allright Birdman,

I am not seeing enough love in this post for Colorado Springs.

As a native of Colorado Springs I have had the opportunity to ride the majority of the trails in the area and all over the state. I cant speak for the Boulder/Ft Collins area (from what I have read there are good trails up there) but I feel the Springs area blows away the denver/golden area as far as riding goes. The trails are longer, less crowded, and more secluded that what I have seen in Denver/Golden. Plus living down here give you quick access to the little known trails at Pueblo Resivor(year around riding down there) and the gem trails down in Beulah and the wet mountains. I could ride the trails by my house all season long and be happy. St. Mary to Jones park is my favorite ride. Its a long ride almost all single track with an unbelievalbe downhill winding through aspen meadows.

As far as the job market goes there is plenty of work down here. I am a technical recruiter and could help you find a job here. Its what I do everyday.

Housing is also exploding with the average price of houses being in the $250k range with plenty of great neighborhoods and schools.

There got my 2 cents in..

Jaydude

mtbr member

Not one mention of "The County" ?????

Fellas,
    I admit, I come hit your front range stuff when I need to get away from all of you front rangers coming up here to ski; I admit, the season up here only lasts for a few months; But come on! Breckenridge has the highest concentration of Alpine Single Track in the world. My house is beach front property for epic, mindless decending, all day rides, every day in the summer. I can get in a 2 hour ride after work that is 10 times as satisfying, with 3 times the vertical than anything on the front range, and ride right back out of the woods into my driveway.
    BURdMAN- if your looking for a change from the so-cal urban spral, the front range, whether its Denver, FTC, Co Springs, aint it bro. Its the same ****, except you have the mountains to the west instead of the ocean. Lots of smog, traffic and spral. Just like cali, every town runs into the next.

Realestate, that one's a *****, but we all find away.

Front Rangers, before you reply your spouting anger at my opinion, I should disclose that I am generally bitter about the Front cause I lived there for 27 years! I still love ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    Fellas,
    I admit, I come hit your front range stuff when I need to get away from all of you front rangers coming up here to ski; I admit, the season up here only lasts for a few months; But come on! Breckenridge has the highest concentration of Alpine Single Track in the world. My house is beach front property for epic, mindless decending, all day rides, every day in the summer. I can get in a 2 hour ride after work that is 10 times as satisfying, with 3 times the vertical than anything on the front range, and ride right back out of the woods into my driveway.
    BURdMAN- if your looking for a change from the so-cal urban spral, the front range, whether its Denver, FTC, Co Springs, aint it bro. Its the same ****, except you have the mountains to the west instead of the ocean. Lots of smog, traffic and spral. Just like cali, every town runs into the next.

Realestate, that one's a *****, but we all find away.

Front Rangers, before you reply your spouting anger at my opinion, I should disclose that I am generally bitter about the Front cause I lived there for 27 years! I still love ya.

If job availability wasn't a factor then yeah but otherwise housing and jobs (or lack thereof) sucks in "the county". Still a sweet place to ride though.

mtbr member
    Colorado sucks for Mountain Biking - the trails are covered in 3 feet of snow 11 months of the year. There are no real mountain biking trails, just flat paved "bike paths". Nope...it sucks here.

Seriously?

For Riding - Colorado Springs.
    For Jobs - Denver.
    Social Scene - Denver/Boulder.
    Real Estate - Pueblo/Canon City.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    County riding is pretty sweet. No argument there. Only downside is job, real estate and ride season - although if you're into skiing, then it's a bonus. Anywho, Breck riding is most excellent. S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast