Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's the best 29er...for the Front Range.

Has this one already been asked?

Shopping for a 29er and I figured I had to ask. Looking at Niner, Jamis, and maybe even one of them cheap motobecanes from Bikesdirect.

Carry on.

Dude...
    Check out Soul Cycles. The price is definitely right and I've heard/read nothing but good things. Unfortunatly, there is a wait on the Dillinger frames, but should be available very soon.

mtbr member
    I debated long and hard between a niner mcr and a Spot brand 29er. Test rode each and the Spot fit better. The niner has a longer top tube - slightly too long for me. I'd demo a few and see what fits best.

That being said - I have been digging the Spot. Great climber and even better descender (better than I expected). I haven't been on a hard tail in over 10 years. Needless to say, high quality steel is much smoother than the cheap tai aluminum bikes from the 90's.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Go to Golden Bike Shop and join the demo program for $150 (credited back on purchase) and test the Niner, Spot, Salsa, Ellsworth, Pivot, Intense, Santa Cruz and Lenz 29ers back to back.

Personally I like my Niners (One 9 and WFO) better than the others but its all preferences.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Whichever 29er ThatGuy is on, b/c it's always the 1st getting up the hills & one of the 1st getting back down again.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by wyantn
    Go to Golden Bike Shop and join the demo program for $150 (credited back on purchase) and test the Niner, Spot, Salsa, Ellsworth, Pivot, Intense, Santa Cruz and Lenz 29ers back to back.

Personally I like my Niners (One 9 and WFO) better than the others but its all preferences.
    I'm going to get a 29'er this year. Looking very forward to trying out a Lenz Leviathan. Call me an isolationist, but I think it's cool that it's made right here in Colorado, not Taiwan.

mtbr member
    The made in Golden was part of my decision to get a Spot. Something about buying a bike made in your hometown.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319
    Whichever 29er ThatGuy is on, b/c it's always the 1st getting up the hills & one of the 1st getting back down again.
    or 69er!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Definitely demo as many of them as you can. I've had a few 29ers (2 redlines and a Niner MCR) and right now I'm rockin a rigid GF Rig and Titus Racer-X 29er, I really dig the handling of the Rig, even if the bike doesn't feel so solid. I'm still trying to tune the Racer-X to my liking, but I feel that it doesn't have enough rear travel. My experience with the single speeds (and my witnessing of others' experiences) is that the eccentic BB is really the way to go. If I had the $$, I prob trade up to a Niner SIR 9....and an Santa Cruz Tallboy, both of which I've demoed recently. My two cents...hopefully that helps a little.

mtbr member
    Niner RIP 9 is the way to for me for FS bike. I also ride a SIR 9 SS and love the feel of steel. Demo as many as you can.Greg at Provelo in Fort Collins has a nice demo plan....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

Rolling
    If there was beer in that size, that is what I would vote for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz
    Niner RIP 9 is the way to for me for FS bike. I also ride a SIR 9 SS and love the feel of steel. Demo as many as you can.Greg at Provelo in Fort Collins has a nice demo plan....
    Yeah, that's where I demoed a Niner and Cannondale. Nice shop. He's having a pretty big sale this weekend by the way.

I'm done demoing. It's between the Niner Air 9, Nine MCR, and the Motobecane Fly Ti 29er, if I decide I want to try Ti on the cheap. A buddy has the Moto Fly and really likes it. I took it for a ride and thought it was nice. We'll see. We're moving today. After we're done with that, I'll pick a bike.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry to have to break it to you but for the front range you need a two-sixer. Niners don't work there. Someting about the altitude, soil type, weather and rocks that makes them not "just want to roll". Go figure.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I dig my Specialized Stumpy hardtail 29er, but I was a bit limited as it was the only one I found in a 23" frame... I have long appendages
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    I dig my Specialized Stumpy hardtail 29er, but I was a bit limited as it was the only one I found in a 23" frame... I have long appendages
    - 1. I hate my Stumpy HT 29er so much that I bought a new frame and switched over all the components. Of course, a lot of the components were already upgraded over stock. Handlebars sucked, tires sucked, crown race literally fell off the fork when I pulled it, so new headset, new wheelset. If anyone wants a cheap 29er frame let me know.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Turner Sultan.

The Rip is also decent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

5 or 6"?

Seems like most folks want to ride a 5 or 6 inch bike "on the front range". Not for me, I'd love an Air 9.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Sorry to have to break it to you but for the front range you need a two-sixer. Niners don't work there. Someting about the altitude, soil type, weather and rocks that makes them not "just want to roll". Go figure.
    Ah, that's why I'm so slow. I knew it wasn't my fault!

mtbr member
    I thought for a sec this was road bike review, bcuz that's where 29" wheels work best. 26" for the off-road stuff my friend!
    Last edited by brandonj1979; 06-28-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    or 69er!
    I found, that 69's only work best with my lady

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    I guess that's why 26er's need all that pogo crap to get down a hill Honestly I'd have one, but if the budget allows for only one bike that doesn't require the maintenance, I'm sticking to my rigid 29er.

Goat of Legend
    29er for the Front Range: I'd look for something with a long toptube, low BB, a head angle in the 70-71 degree range, and a mid ranged chainstay length.

I'm partial to steel which gives a more forgiving ride and a certain snap to the bike that you will never find with aluminum

a few I'm partial to are

Misfit Dissent Fe(my current ride and blog sponsor, no cable stops for derailluers but I had some brazed on and switched the singlespeed paragon dropout to a derailluer hanger)

Siren Cycles John Henry..production and custom available

Mountain Goat Route 29..mostly custom, some production

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    www.vandesselsports.com.

I run their hardtail 29er Jersey Devil and love it. Rear carbon triangle and lightweight frame. Climbs so fast and descends smooth.

Enough said.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

caffeine dependent
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I'm partial to steel which gives a more forgiving ride and a certain snap to the bike that you will never find with aluminum
    Huh. I'd always thought aluminum tends to snap more frequently than steel.
    I'm just here for the food.

Thread Terrorist
    I think Jeffco is only going to allow 29ers on every other odd day... you may want to watch out for that.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast