mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Whatever happened to I Ride and I Vote?

This was a group of mountain bikers that had good intentions - i.e work to open up the recently closed Reynolds Park Open Space - but then faded away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

IRIDEANDIVOTE alive n well

Quote Originally Posted by poppywilly
    This was a group of mountain bikers that had good intentions - i.e work to open up the recently closed Reynolds Park Open Space - but then faded away.
    We've been riding amoung other things. Actually, don't let our silence recently fool you. We have been busy with the county and attending meetings getting updated on what
    Jefferson County is up to. Last week was the twice annual Trails Use Task Force meeting attended by me and our fearless Biker Reps on the Task Force. The county is busy making plans for new parks that are not altogether friendly. They unveiled their rotating closure for the new North Table mountain park. The Task Force will convey these county activities to the mountain bike community as they come to them and IRIDEANDIVOTE is one way to communicate to that community. Look for a map and info on this new park here soon.

As far as the Reynolds Park issue, it did come up at the meeting again and the county had nothing new to report other than they are still negotiating the purchase of Denver Water Board land that will allow for the Colorado Trail Connector thru Reynolds Park. Once that trail is completed they anticipate a reopening of part of Reynolds. This park closure is still considered an "experiment" and will be revisited often. We still consider the closure wrong and continue to push for a full reversal. Just not right now. The time will come as we work closely with the land managers.

Thanks for you interest. By the way anyone interested in keeping updated on Jefferson County and the Trails Use Task Force send an e-mail to IRIDEANDIVOTE@yahoo.com.

Now Uploading
    This concept was presented by JeffCo Open Space to the Trail Use Task Force at the 10/14/04 meeting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

locked - time out
    "Challenge course" huh? I thought I'd heard rumors about this - any further info?

Now Uploading
    ... and my educated and researched opinion including feedback from trail users is that this concept will fail and create additional conflicts. Any segregation of JeffCo parks user groups in the form of selective and discriminatory exclusion from a taxpayer's funded property is a future problem waiting to explode. The Reynolds issue is not over, it never will be. It was step one in a new change of policy and tactic. The above map is step two towards this new precedent.

We cannot, and will not, allow discriminatory restriction and targeted exclusion from the Jefferson County Open Space tax payer funded parks lands without fighting this with every means at our disposal.

We are very fortunate to have the superb parks management and resources of Jefferson County as compared to many other places, however, acknowledgement and praise from and for previous notable achievements and milestones does not carry through to this radical new anti-mountain bike policy. Views and reputations can change. Things are changing at JeffCo. This new segregated and discriminatory management tactic if implemented, will result in no benefit to general users of the JeffCo parks system and only serves the agenda of the special interests and further serves to drive conflict and division between parks user groups. Tensions will be high, and the level of trust and assurance we've held in Jefferson County Open Space will evaporate. This is a self-destructive direction to manage toward.

This radical new policy change must stop to preserve the good faith of all the hard work of the dedicated people at JeffCo that have accomplished and shared so much in the past. It can be taken for granted and lost. This would be a shame and entail years of repercussions.

I do not endorse discriminatory trail use restrictions that exclude selected tax paying parks user groups, and I never will. Segregated trails based on separate and equal uses are another matter and make sense where applicable.

This is simply wrong, and of benefit only to one segment at the direct expense of another.

It must stop on the drawing board.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    "Challenge course" huh? I thought I'd heard rumors about this - any further info?
    Yes, under the currently submitted proposal, we are viewing it as a consolation prize peace offering to the bikers for giving up half the use of the rest of the park's trails on alternating days while the other two user groups, the hikers and equestrians have full use of all on every day. It is no coincidence that this section is on the same property.

And this sets a restrictive use precedent for all future parks management from implementation date on.

Restrictive alternating trail use management has been implemented elsewhere around the world with some levels of success in places, but we are most concerned with the impact on the Jefferson County parks users experience. Providing an enhanced user experience for one or two groups at the full expense of the other is more complex than experimental policy or signage. Those excluded will explore legal and political avenues to remedy executive decision shortcomings.

Now Uploading

So give us your honest input

I want to support every fair and positive project and development with Jefferson County Open Space. I want to see and experience the best quality parks system that is available, to all who visit and use the property.

Separating children who do not play well in the same sand box is not a solution to any problem. It is ammunition.

old skool newbie

No good a quick answer

without even reading in depth on the whole project, the ODD & EVEN DAYS idea is setting it up for failure

Perpetually single track
    You know what this makes me wonder...would they be able to see my lights when I'm on top of N. Table Mtn at night....

Now Uploading
    Yeah, sadly, if this takes place, North Table Mountain will surely and quickly replace Apex and Mathews/Winters as the park of most conflict, or alternating conflict rather, as the charged tension flips up and down from one end of the park to the other aided by the confusion of what day the conflict is supposed to be where.

"Colflict" is an easy word to manipulate and blow out of proportion, and to take personally and lobby to special interests in that context. For example, highway traffic on the way to work is a "personal" conflict for me, should I lobby to have everyone else resticted from using the roads while I drive to work in the morning? No. We learn to share them, we paid for them.

Hope we don't end up using words like another low-use mismanaged special interest park while discussing this park and others like it in the future.

The right thing to do is to stick to the current Open Space Trails Use Action Plan under Existing Parks and Trails which reads: "New trails should be multiple use where conflicts can be minimized" (they have reinterpreted this to the extreme apparently - we all know that we will not have zero conflicts in the eyes of all users that expect differing trail use experiences while we are all using the same trails, the answer is education for prevention, not discrimination by executive decision and special interest. And learning to share and respect multi-use with the only alternative being completely separate trails for each user group... not practical), "Build alternate trails for specific users. Trails will not be closed to specific users until there is an alternate available". And "Add alternate trail heads for different users where possible" if it is felt that we need any segregated trails at all, not to discriminately restrict use to current and future trail systems and parks. That's one step too far, and a bad decision that we can't live with.

We can see from this wording above and comments in the last meeting that they plan to edit this Trails Use Action Plan document to better reflect their new direction.

We must advise and educate JeffCo Open Space on the correct path that does not discriminate against any entire park user groups at the expense of any others.

The problem still exists, a hiker or equestrian complains of a bike and a trail is closed to bikes. A biker complains of an oblivious hiker listening to headphones and unable to communicate with other trail users, or of being chased by an unleashed dog, or of riding through miles of bacterial laden horse manure, and trails are multi-use or closed to bikes.

See a problem here? I do. The problem is not to prohibit or restrict use of these groups, the solution is to educate and work together to overcome our problems. Too much work? You decide. Or rather we need to decide, or accept the fact that if we do not, they will decide for us while we pay for it and suffer the consequences.
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 10-20-2004 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling, additional information