View Poll Results: Type of bike you ride?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • XC

12 44.44%
  • Trail

11 40.74%
  • AM

10 37.04%
  • DH/FR

1 3.70%
  • 29er or nothing

6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

What type of bike do you Ride in the Colorado Springs area

Just curious as to what kind of bike most of you are riding down in this area as I am moving there and wondering if I should be selling my 34# AM bike for a lighter trail bike.

I did it all for the kudo
    There's lots of different riding here. I would keep your big bike and buy a trail/xc bike for longer treks, this seems to be a popular option.
    You also left out an option for SingleSpeed!

Where are you coming from?

I think I can.
    Agree with the bus, everyone has 2+ bikes so you need to ask what bikes do you ride on the front range. I myself ride a Trek Remedy and a SS 29er, just depends on the ride.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

rr
    I don't do PC
    You must own a cross bike to shred the Santa stinky

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    recumbent, brah

don't you want to know what tires work the best too?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    If I only had one bike it would be an all mountain bike. I ride my Shinobi (AM 29er) about 70% of the time, my SS about 20% of the time and my freeride bike about 10%.

I'm with stupid
    Is there a "All the above" button. I might ass that with that statement that I am ALWAYS on the wrong bike for the ride we are on. If I have to pick just one it would be a 5 or 6" do it all bike with two sets of wheels.

Edit. I do think that tires are more important then whick bike you ride, they all equally suck in decomposed granite so matter if they are AM, XC, Trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    There's lots of different riding here. I would keep your big bike and buy a trail/xc bike for longer treks, this seems to be a popular option.
    You also left out an option for SingleSpeed!

Where are you coming from?
    I am coming down from Victoria BC on Vancouver Island. I am so going to miss Whistler and the tacky dirt we have here Spet - June. (no Snow)
    Though I am sure I will love being close to Moab and Fruita.
    As for bikes, currently I have a Devinci Wilson for park or shuttle days and the 35# Rune which I hope to get down to about 32#'s or 31 if I am lucky.
    Depends on what kind of gearing I will need down there as well, not sure if a 1x10 will mainly work or if there are a ton of steep climbs and I will need the 22 up front.

As far as tires I was thinking I would continue using my Minion super tackys on the DH bike and Schwabble Hans Dampf on the AM bike. I was just not sure if the riding around there is going to be more xc oriented and require something like a sub 25# XC bike to not die on rides with people.

Confused
    Depend's on the ride.
    Example: I just recently switched to a Banshee Rune.
    I rode a C-Dale Rush previous. The Rush was great for everything here as an all around bike. Hitechredneck saw it on the last couple rides we did. Nothing special, Sektor 160mm up front and a Fox float in the rear. I'm 5'9" and was riding an XL. Learned on and loved that bike in this region. In this area and on some of the "secret trails" you are going to want at least a 6" travel bike.
    "it's not the bike, it's the rider" Well... I stand by that but, it's good to have that cushion there when trying new things.
    I rode yesterday for the second time in Peublo with the same gearing setup as I did with the C-dale the first time. I switched back to a 32t up front and an 11-34t in the rear. (from a 36t) Just because of how a different bike handles.
    What I have learned since moving here:
    1. 6" travel is awesome, if you can control it and find that "sweet spot" with your setup.
    2. DH here, is worth the climb. (it's beautiful here)(stop and take a breath, it will take your breath away, while you don't have much left)
    3. And most important in my guide to awesome from my own beginner's level stand point... I highly recommend building a 29'er full rigid single speed to truly enjoy some of the climbs and test your skills on the downs. You will not regret it!
    "Peak Rock" as they call it is rampant here. Tires are a personal preference. I like to float on top and slide. Some like to sink and grip. I have seen both and they all work well.

"Rant finished" Enjoy.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

Climbs = necessary evil
    RIP9 will do well as an all round bide.

Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    I am coming down from Victoria BC on Vancouver Island. I am so going to miss Whistler and the tacky dirt we have here Spet - June. (no Snow)
    Though I am sure I will love being close to Moab and Fruita.
    As for bikes, currently I have a Devinci Wilson for park or shuttle days and the 35# Rune which I hope to get down to about 32#'s or 31 if I am lucky.
    Depends on what kind of gearing I will need down there as well, not sure if a 1x10 will mainly work or if there are a ton of steep climbs and I will need the 22 up front.

As far as tires I was thinking I would continue using my Minion super tackys on the DH bike and Schwabble Hans Dampf on the AM bike. I was just not sure if the riding around there is going to be more xc oriented and require something like a sub 25# XC bike to not die on rides with people.
    Running 1x9 on my Rune. 36t for the park adventures and 32t for the all around local. Trestle (Winter Park) is a blast. When you get down here I will show you the regular hot spots.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 00frontier00 View Post
    Running 1x9 on my Rune. 36t for the park adventures and 32t for the all around local. Trestle (Winter Park) is a blast. When you get down here I will show you the regular hot spots.

Sounds good, I plan on keeping the Wilson for park days. I love that bike.
    Here is a vid of me following a friend down Dirt Merchant at Whistler.

Dirt Merchant 17 Jul 12 Video - Pinkbike

I spent 26 days riding Whistler this summer with no issues then broke both my arms in August on a trail I had ridden maybe 50 times on my rune that just had two small jumps=/ Just broke my right arm again 31 Dec. Hoping to be back to easy riding by April and maybe a little DH by june if I can get enough strength and confidence back in my arms.

Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Sounds good, I plan on keeping the Wilson for park days. I love that bike.
    Here is a vid of me following a friend down Dirt Merchant at Whistler.

Dirt Merchant 17 Jul 12 Video - Pinkbike

I spent 26 days riding Whistler this summer with no issues then broke both my arms in August on a trail I had ridden maybe 50 times on my rune that just had two small jumps=/ Just broke my right arm again 31 Dec. Hoping to be back to easy riding by April and maybe a little DH by june if I can get enough strength and confidence back in my arms.
    Been riding since Aug. with a fractured shoulder. Fracture is healed, still going through physical therapy for range of motion. Happened at Trestle. Awesome vid.
    One of our "trails" for example. Go Pro on Cheyenne Mountain I-35 - YouTube
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 00frontier00 View Post
    Been riding since Aug. with a fractured shoulder. Fracture is healed, still going through physical therapy for range of motion. Happened at Trestle. Awesome vid.
    One of our "trails" for example. Go Pro on Cheyenne Mountain I-35 - YouTube

Can't get youtube through our work firewalls. But I will check it out tomorrow.