What trails are in Breckenridge?

We're planning our annual summer trek from the Tahoe area. This year the stay will be in Breckenridge. But we need some help with finding trails to ride. What trails would be recommended for xc riders. Not looking for anything in particular, just fun trails. Views would be a bonus.

Also, will any of these trails be open to ride, or will there still be snow?

fb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Peaks trail for one, I prefer to start in frisco and ride up to breck then turn around and ride back. Depending on how late you come, I would definitely consider lewanee off the top of A-basin, pretty tough climb but if you like views and techy trails this is one of my favorite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chongo View Post
    Breck has a ton of trails, CO trail, flume trails, peaks trail are just a few of the popular ones you should check out. Just drop in any shop and also grab a local breck bike magazine for all the info you could ever need. Unlimited riding here just be ready for the elevation coming from CA, might take some time to get used to it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The map Chongo linked is one of the best. The town is busy revising it and a new one should be ready soon. As to will there be snow, when are you coming?

On average lower elevation trails around town begin to open mid-late May. Middle elevation trails open late May-early June. The High Alpine (near and above treeline) doesn't open till early July. We have recieved a lot of snow in the last 6 weeks but that was after a pretty poor early season so I expect the timing of the melt out to be pretty average, although a lot of weather variables come into play. A good way to follow conditions is to like the Summit Fat Tire Society's Facebook page. There's usually lots of good information there.

As to trails, in any direction you can begin an almost unlimited number of loops right from town. Most trails are what people these days catagoize as "XC" trails although there is plenty of rock and root to deal with. The town of Breckenridge 's open space and trails dept is one of the most progressive open space depts in the country. The town trails basically radiate out from town in all directions and connect to trails on forest service lands. There are also miles and miles of technical, rocky often steep jeep road in the area that are left over from the mining days. You can do quick short loops close to town or go out for all day adventures.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Colorado Trail has some great point to points in the area if you can figure out a shuttle. Kenosha Pass to Breck, Breck to Copper, Copper to Tenessee Pass.

Pick any one of the prior three rides around breck on the Colorado Trail and you will be grinning and sore.

Peaks is a fun, quick ride as well. One of my wife's favorites.

Thanks, everyone. This is a great start for my research. We'll be coming in late June, so I'll be keeping abreast as to the conditions. Thanks zrm for the suggestion to like the fat tire FB page.

Thanks to chongo for the link to the map. That is very nice, and shows a progressive attitude towards mtb. It's nice to see.

-f