Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951

    What are they teachin' the kids these days?

    Checking out conditions around the Switzerland Tr area today and came across some new signage I found.. interesting.









    Especially ironic considering this entire area is laced with FS roads.

  2. #2
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,026
    You mean what they don't teach kids?

  3. #3
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,353
    The problem with being respectful of riparian areas and wildlife and recreating mindfully of your impacts is?

  4. #4
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951
    So I guess that 11 yr old probably came up with the idea that illegal trails = mountainbikers all on his own?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    502
    Sheesh there is no 11 yr old in this situation. 11 is a number frequently used by nefarious secret societies. Along with 7, 9, 11, and 33. All numerology, and these signs are all fake. No child was used in making them.

  6. #6
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Sheesh there is no 11 yr old in this situation. 11 is a number frequently used by nefarious secret societies. Along with 7, 9, 11, and 33. All numerology, and these signs are all fake. No child was used in making them.
    Crap, now the Illuminati have an anti-mtb agenda too?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    502
    In a sense, yes. Its not about anti- biking per se, more so just exacting ever increasing control over our thoughts and actions. The brainwashing of the world has been ongoing for the last 200 years, and is almost complete.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    464
    Hell I agree with the kid. I see so many numnutz go off trail in the front range...it isn't even funny. My guess is that there won't be true singetrack around here cause a lot of people simply go around (off trail) people when encountering an uphiller and thus widening the trail. Sort of off topic, but does relate. Stop, put a foot down, and proceed. Only takes like 5 seconds. Flame on.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

  9. #9
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,245
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Hell I agree with the kid. I see so many numnutz go off trail in the front range...it isn't even funny. My guess is that there won't be true singetrack around here cause a lot of people simply go around (off trail) people when encountering an uphiller and thus widening the trail. Sort of off topic, but does relate. Stop, put a foot down, and proceed. Only takes like 5 seconds. Flame on.

  10. #10
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,964
    If you want true singletrack, you need to ride where there are less people. Or work to get more trail built.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  11. #11
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951
    Probably worth noting, the area these signs are posted in is a large USFS camping area that's laced with USFS roads. They rolled heavy machines all through the "forest" a few years ago doing fire mitigation and the old moto singletracks that did exist there are closed to everyone. Some of the FS roads near the drainages have 3 foot deep erosion trenches. There are no "hiker only" trails, although there is plenty of impact from campers cutting down wood, parties, rainbow people shanties, shooting debris and regular paintballers. Mountainbiking would be somewhere around 97th of the list of riparian impacts here, but now when Johnny Redneck and family roll in with their RV and trailer full of ATVs, they'll get some good education about all the eco-terrorist mountainbikers.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    ... Or work to get more trail built.
    Sounds like a plan...
    Warning, an actual 11 year old was used in the following post
    Name:  487954_10200719256121989_657818040_n.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  40.7 KB
    oh... and response to the OP, I'm teaching mine to build trail...
    Last edited by WilburKookmeyer; 03-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.

  13. #13
    a dad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,260
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    Sounds like a plan...

    Name:  487954_10200719256121989_657818040_n.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  40.7 KB
    oh... and response to the OP, I'm teaching mine to build trail...
    nice, where is that?
    BBZ

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

  14. #14
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    805
    looks like an old riparian area!!!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    nice, where is that?
    In Erie, near/between the trash dumps. Anyone is welcome to come out and help us dig... I hope be adding some progressive wood work before the heat sets in.

    It won't be anything major, just something fun for the neighborhood to enjoy.

  16. #16
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    353
    sigh... just this weekend I was reading some conflicting reports on various eco-journals. It seems like even the environmentalists can't agree on what's good for riparian habitats. The conventional wisdom says fence it off and keep everyone out / minimize impacts, etc.

    but...

    There's also evidence being collected in some newer eco-management movements that say part of the problem with invasive species and tinder overgrowth in riparian areas is due to lack of correct grazing management. Seems in the absence of millions of bison to trample the overgrowth and graze it down, then move on in periodic migrations, aggressive species and dead growth cause just as much ecological impact and degradation as anything else.

    so I don't know who to believe, basically. And yea, the tunnel vision on trails management in this region just leaves me speechless.

    Wilbur, I'd be willing to dig on your project; the Dump Loop is a perennial favorite roadie ride of mine and I used to live in Erie.

  17. #17
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    In Erie, near/between the trash dumps. Anyone is welcome to come out and help us dig... I hope be adding some progressive wood work before the heat sets in.

    It won't be anything major, just something fun for the neighborhood to enjoy.
    But look.. you're ruining the pristine drainage! Sinner.

    (nice work, btw)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    But look.. you're ruining the pristine drainage! Sinner.

    (nice work, btw)

    Thanks...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    sigh... just this weekend I was reading some conflicting reports on various eco-journals. It seems like even the environmentalists can't agree on what's good for riparian habitats. The conventional wisdom says fence it off and keep everyone out / minimize impacts, etc.

    but...

    There's also evidence being collected in some newer eco-management movements that say part of the problem with invasive species and tinder overgrowth in riparian areas is due to lack of correct grazing management. Seems in the absence of millions of bison to trample the overgrowth and graze it down, then move on in periodic migrations, aggressive species and dead growth cause just as much ecological impact and degradation as anything else.

    so I don't know who to believe, basically. And yea, the tunnel vision on trails management in this region just leaves me speechless.

    Wilbur, I'd be willing to dig on your project; the Dump Loop is a perennial favorite roadie ride of mine and I used to live in Erie.
    I've yet to see one of these "riparians" in the wild. Are they birds, mammals, what?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  20. #20
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I've yet to see one of these "riparians" in the wild. Are they birds, mammals, what?
    Ah, come on. You already know. They are the untouched, pristine, delicate tracks of nature bordering our waterways.

    They're easy to recognize by the unique characteristic that they are immune to damage from horses, mining machinery, well funded real estate developers or USFS heavy mitigation equipment; but can simultaneously be decimated by a single set of mountainbike tires passing within 300 yards.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    Ah, come on. You already know. They are the untouched, pristine, delicate tracks of nature bordering our waterways.

    They're easy to recognize by the unique characteristic that they are immune to damage from horses, mining machinery, well funded real estate developers or USFS heavy mitigation equipment; but can simultaneously be decimated by a single set of mountainbike tires passing within 300 yards.
    Ah yes. In Telluride they're called "Trustariparians".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  22. #22
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,026
    I think some people have forgotten that there weren't many trees, nor much wildlife habitat, on the front range until we showed up..What are they teachin' the kids these days?-d04a.jpg

    What are they teachin' the kids these days?-f13a.jpg


    and started planting trees...
    What are they teachin' the kids these days?-d06a.jpg


    The Colorado College Tutt Library: Colorado Springs Area Early Views Guide

  23. #23
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,788
    I hear you Thump. I don't necessarily disagree with what the USFS is trying to say, but Gordon Gulch is borderline almost as ghetto as Left Hand OHV at times. I mean, that area is HIGH impact. The trails out there are the least of that areas problems. Not to mention all of the neighborhoods that border the area. What few trails are there are even less used by the many - They'd better serve the wildlife by closing down half of the myriad of roads up there and opening up more singletrack!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Hello Wilbur! I've been trying to build trails in the exact same area of Erie. I live in Vista Pointe and I found some awesome natural terrain. Problem is the cops showed up and asked me to stop until I had permission from Open Space. I would love to get together with you and discuss more trail building near our dumps.

  25. #25
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I hear you Thump. I don't necessarily disagree with what the USFS is trying to say, but Gordon Gulch is borderline almost as ghetto as Left Hand OHV at times. I mean, that area is HIGH impact. The trails out there are the least of that areas problems. Not to mention all of the neighborhoods that border the area. What few trails are there are even less used by the many - They'd better serve the wildlife by closing down half of the myriad of roads up there and opening up more singletrack!
    That's probably why it got under my skin. Kinda like posting a sign about the impacts of illegal fishing on the ecosystem next to a BP oil spill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kids these days
    By IAmHolland in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
  2. kids these days, well yestrday anyway
    By ridn29s in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 10:38 AM
  3. wicked good deal on kids push bike kids woot
    By MattyBoyR6 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
  4. Riding Days vs. Running Days for Spartan style race?
    By SLOCanucker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
  5. Core and strength training on rest days or riding days?
    By Evan55 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •