Cynical Bystander

What should I do?

I'm currently trying to decide what I want for christmas. Right now it's between a few things...none of which I absolutely 'need'...figured enough people here boarded/are smart enough to give me some help.

02 Monster T-$325 on Ridemonkey. Had a monster T in the past and would like to have one before they get phased out but don't need it despite how much I want it.

05 Ride Decade-$399 at the local shop. Would probably put my current Ride bindings onto it or buy some new ones.

05 Burton Baron-$599 at the local shop. Would have to get a bigass 168 or 172 to hit up backcountry/powder and keep my current 160 Ride Fleetwood for everything else.

The Burton is going to cost an arm and a leg and I doubt that my parents would let me get it. I haven't really heard too much about the Ride though, but I love Ride boards and have had my Fleetwood the past few seasons but want something a bit bigger. If possible I'm going to grab another set of bindings for it (Burton Missions or Ride EX) so that I can have two functional boards and one be my nice-pow-backcountry-hiking board, and the other be my pretty nice-spring-earlyseason-park board.

And as far as the bindings go I'm intrigued at the toe-bindings on most of the 05 Burtons and am wondering if anybody really thinks of them as highly as they seem. I'm currently on some 03 Ride LXs and love them. I'll probably stick with Rides because of their comfort as well as the metal base which I think is a lot stiffer then Burtons (IMO) so I'm not really sure what to do there either. Any suggestions on what to do or any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Tony
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I'm currently trying to decide what I want for christmas. Right now it's between a few things...none of which I absolutely 'need'...figured enough people here boarded/are smart enough to give me some help.

02 Monster T-$325 on Ridemonkey. Had a monster T in the past and would like to have one before they get phased out but don't need it despite how much I want it.

05 Ride Decade-$399 at the local shop. Would probably put my current Ride bindings onto it or buy some new ones.

05 Burton Baron-$599 at the local shop. Would have to get a bigass 168 or 172 to hit up backcountry/powder and keep my current 160 Ride Fleetwood for everything else.

The Burton is going to cost an arm and a leg and I doubt that my parents would let me get it. I haven't really heard too much about the Ride though, but I love Ride boards and have had my Fleetwood the past few seasons but want something a bit bigger. If possible I'm going to grab another set of bindings for it (Burton Missions or Ride EX) so that I can have two functional boards and one be my nice-pow-backcountry-hiking board, and the other be my pretty nice-spring-earlyseason-park board.

And as far as the bindings go I'm intrigued at the toe-bindings on most of the 05 Burtons and am wondering if anybody really thinks of them as highly as they seem. I'm currently on some 03 Ride LXs and love them. I'll probably stick with Rides because of their comfort as well as the metal base which I think is a lot stiffer then Burtons (IMO) so I'm not really sure what to do there either. Any suggestions on what to do or any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony
    Haven't stayed up on board technology for years - but I'd say go with one of the boards if you don't really need the fork - no sense in having a fork that is almost 3 years old sit around and get older while you're riding something else.

Stand back

Baron's a nice board

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12

You should be able to get one for cheaper than that, though. CO ski and Golf should have 'em for at least 10% off of retail. Burton's are tough, too - my '00 Canyon (pre-cursor to the Baron) is the only board I've had last more than a season and is still going strong. I dunno that I'd get a 170, tho. How big are you? I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs, and have never really felt the need for larger than a 165, which is what I'm on now (K2 Nemesis). Any bigger and I think you'll be hating it in the woods when the trees get tight. My little brother (who is 6'3" and at least as heavy as me) still gets by with a 155, and that's riding everywhere I rode when we hit JH last year. I'd go wider before I'd go longer for better float in powder.
    I'm wanting to try some of the Burton cap straps, too. Looks like a good idea, can't believe nobody came out with it earlier.
    As far as the Monster goes - would you sell your shiver or just have an extra fork lying around? Guess that can't hurt, but seems like it would be more fun to get something for x-
    mas you would use more often.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    You should be able to get one for cheaper than that, though. CO ski and Golf should have 'em for at least 10% off of retail. Burton's are tough, too - my '00 Canyon (pre-cursor to the Baron) is the only board I've had last more than a season and is still going strong. I dunno that I'd get a 170, tho. How big are you? I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs, and have never really felt the need for larger than a 165, which is what I'm on now (K2 Nemesis). Any bigger and I think you'll be hating it in the woods when the trees get tight. My little brother (who is 6'3" and at least as heavy as me) still gets by with a 155, and that's riding everywhere I rode when we hit JH last year. I'd go wider before I'd go longer for better float in powder.
    I'm wanting to try some of the Burton cap straps, too. Looks like a good idea, can't believe nobody came out with it earlier.
    As far as the Monster goes - would you sell your shiver or just have an extra fork lying around? Guess that can't hurt, but seems like it would be more fun to get something for x-
    mas you would use more often.
    Thats a lot of help. Thanks dude. Its looking like I'm going to get a Ride Kink 156 and go with some cheap Freestyle or LX or Mission bindings. I'm 6'1-2" and am riding a 160 Fleetwood at the moment. I think that I'll probably save my pennies and get a bigass pow board later in the season which is what I wanted to use the Baron/Decade for anyways. After I get a job you can get you'll find the Baron with some Cartel bindings in my house though.

As far as the Monster, I'd keep the Shiver and probably stick the Monster onto a ride I get in 05, but I figure I'm gonna get a snoboard during snow season.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.