mtbr member

What shops stock winter mtb shoes?

I was hoping we could help each other find winter shoes that bike shops actually have in stock. I find that very few shops stock winter shoes and I know I hate to buy shoes without trying them on. Bike shops all claim that nobody asks for winter shoes, so I thought if we work together we could post shops that stock and support winter mountain biking. I live in Colorado Springs but would drive to the greater Denver area to get to try on winter shoes so I knew I was getting a good deal.

Here is what I found so far.

I checked out the Lake boots today at Old Town Bike shop here in COS, they had them for $169.00 on close out, had a size that fit but the wire that ties the lacing together hurt my foot so I didn't pull the trigger on them. They had about 5-10 pair of them and they were blowing them out.....Hope this helps.
    Id rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth........Steve McQueen

I did it all for the kudo
    Thanks for the info and the post Manta, I'm interested in knowing this too. I would hate to buy off the web only to get the wrong size.

Chronic 1st-timer
    An in size 50EE please.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

My cup runneth over
    The Bike Source in Highlands Ranch usually has the Specialized winter shoes (don't be expecting a discounted price though).

mtbr member
    Winter shoes aren't a high volume item so you may find it difficult to find them in stock. I ordered mine from Wheat Ridge Cyclery but I had to figure out what size to order before hand.

banned

mtbr member
    Excel Sports in Boulder has Shimano and Sidi.

Turin in Denver has some Lake shoes.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Lakes are the warmest. Specy are not warm below 35*.

I would say to try on the Lakes again, pound your heel into the back of the boot, then tighten the BOA. I wear thin wool socks with the Lakes & cannot feel the BOA system. While riding you will readjust the BOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    After Riding Sidi Dragons (size 44) MTB shoes for 14 years...

I went to Excel sports in Boulder to try the Sidi Diablo winter riding shoes/boots. They had every size I wanted to try on of both and were very helpfull.

I could get the Sidi Diablo's off E-bay for $225. But, my heel lifted in the sidi's in my normal 44 size. so I wasn.t sold at $200. $400 retail..OUCH!

I went back on Christmas eve before close and tried on the Shimano's with both normal and thick socks in size 44,43,45...They ( size 44) went home with me! No more thermal insulators and duct tape for me!

Hope that Helps!

BTW, I'm also riding schwalbe Ice spiker Pro's in 29" form Excel, they had the best price at $99/each + tax. Plus, I got to support a local buisness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been using Pearl Izumi GTX boots a couple seasons. My feet always get cold no matter what I wear (skiing included), but these seem pretty good. I got mine from Dave up at Redstone Cyclery in Lyons. I think Dave is stocking Mavic Drift winter shoes this season, but don't quote me.

Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Shoes Reviews

ride
    I've been on the PIs for about 4 winters now. Great shoe but they stopped making them a couple years back. We're stocking the Mavic Drift for this winter. So far reports on that shoe are great. Plus they're only 199 retail.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Team Inflexible
    Criterium in the springs has the older (velcro) Specialized defroster on sale. And looked like they had many sizes.