Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What are the loudest brakes for the front range?

Mine! Avid Juicy 7, tried organic pads and regular. The brake and rotors are about 3 years old. They get real noisy toward the bottom of trails like Deer Creek, Chimney Gulch, Mt. Falcon, etc... when they heat up. Are my rotors too old? Are avid pads known for this? Has all the PBR made me too fat for my brakes? The problem has become worse this year, even with replacement pads.

The one upside is that the organics and the other pads make two different tones so I can harmonize when I come down the hill, having organic in the front and the other ones in the back.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    my juicy 5's do the same thing.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Juicy 5's here and only the rear makes noise. Front is quiet as can be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Juicy 7 here sound like a dieing ostrage when hot. Not to mention this year am getting a nice vibration to go along with it. I have tried everyting aswell. Maby time for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    What rotor size are you using?

My wife runs Avid Jucy 7" front and rear. No sound unless wet.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    I like to think that my Juicy 5s help to avoid trail conflict by warning other trail users of my approach well in advance.

Mine can be quieted down somewhat by chamfering the pads and shimming the calipers away from the axles a little. I have also found that Hayes rotors work a little better than the wavy Avid rotors.

Oh, So Interesting!
    You use brakes?

I'm with stupid
    juicy 7 when they are not aligned right or when wet or when hot. yep about sums it up. lol

Stiff yet compliant
    When your brakes make noise you are supposed to oil them. Makes them quiet as can be.

Tribe Member
    my xtr brakes with metallic pads, 160mm rotors. they will scare wildlife off the trail.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

ride
    Do a search on the brake forum for that Juicy squeal. Not all of them do it but certain frame/brake combos will. Avid makes a solid rotor that usually takes care of it. Your LBS can order it for you.

yetirich - in each caliper run 1 organic pad and 1 metallic pad. Works just as good and no noise. You could go all organic pads for no noise as well but it won't work as well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Avid BB7's. Many combos of rotors and pads (though I didn't go the organic pad route yet), plus a ton of adjustments. What worked for me:

Stop the vibration - Pull the pads, put a dab of HIGH TEMP grease on the backside, between the pad and caliper - NOT THE BRAKE SURFACE. Or, as an experiment, put a single thin strip of electrical tape on the back of each pad. Readjust. Enjoy sneaking up on people again. Or, get some vehicle Disc Brake quiet that is applied to the non-brake surface of the pad and use that to stop the vibration.

jon.

..ouch
    Every time I've had issues with noisy avid's it's been due to small alignment issues. Those fancy dished washers make it easy for them to get slightly off vertical alignment (camber, tilt, whatever)..

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by 3nf
    I like to think that my Juicy 5s help to avoid trail conflict by warning other trail users of my approach well in advance.

Perfect for those blind corners on Apex.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can I recommend a hollow carbon monocoque frame like the Ibis Mojo to go with them, then frequency of the squeal resonates through the frame which acts like an amplifier much like an acoustic guitar. Wonderful sounds and it feels like the bike is a tuning fork when you are riding.

Thread Terrorist
    All of these cannot compare to mine...

HS33 (the old hydraulic rim brakes) with a fresh rim grind (yep, grinding the rims)..

.....okay, so its a trials bike
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Juicy 5's here and yes I do not have to warn hikers, or anything else for that matter, that I am approaching. I think the vibration in addition to the sound will alert anything within one square mile.

PS - Thank you OP for making me laugh this morning. I miss funny posts rather than these (I had a run in with a hiker/someone didn't yield to me/downhillers are going to kill somebody/etc... posts).

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    .....okay, so its a trials bike
    ...and it d@mn well BETTER be noisy.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13
    Can I recommend a hollow carbon monocoque frame like the Ibis Mojo to go with them, then frequency of the squeal resonates through the frame which acts like an amplifier much like an acoustic guitar. Wonderful sounds and it feels like the bike is a tuning fork when you are riding.
    The rear triangle of my Trek Remedy and Session both amplify brake vibrations. It does feel nice, little vibro-massage action

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    Get Saints!!!

mtbr member

I must just be lucky...

I've got J-7's on two bikes and they are all silent nearly all of the time - hot or not. Metallic pads, Avid rotors.
    One thing I have noticed though, my last couple of rides were in extremely dusty conditions and my rear brake did begin to squeal late in the ride. The brakes were already hot so I've been blaming it on the dust.

mtbr member
    I think I'll try that brake silencer stuff and the stiff rotors. If that doesn't work I'll just take the brakes off and use the foot on the rear tire trick. Less modulation that way, but at least I'll keep my ear drums.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr

yetirich - in each caliper run 1 organic pad and 1 metallic pad. Works just as good and no noise. You could go all organic pads for no noise as well but it won't work as well.
    Now that's an idea I've never heard of before ... interesting!
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Now that's an idea I've never heard of before ... interesting!
    It gives a nice mix of modulation and power. Down side is the organic pad always ends up wearing out quicker.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    I got a great tip from some guys at SRAM for my Elixirs. Just take the pads out and swap them inboard and outboard (only works if the pads are symmetrical, as they are on the Elixirs). Worked like a charm for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast