Thread: What if...?

Your bike is incorrigible

What if...?

What if you had complete control of R&D at a major brand and could come invent or improve anything on your bike (given the parameters of reality and physics)?

What would it be?

Stiff yet compliant
    A fully sealed internal drivetrain that is a viable replacement for the current chain system.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I wish Rohloff would do a lighter 8 or 9 speed hub, I would love to ditch the rear der forever.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    A sweet sensor in the front hub / brake that when it senses an endo it anti-locks the brake to help you out of the jam! It's either that or I get skills, and THAT ain't happening.

Chronic 1st-timer
    A KERS integrated into my rear hub to help my fat, lazy a$$ up the hills.
    Really coulda used it this morning!
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Why are we still pressing/pounding headsets in and out of the headtube? They should be threaded like BB...
    This won't hurt a bit...

!Vamos, flaco!
    A beer that tastes great AND is less filling. Wow. That would be the best.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by santaheckler
    Why are we still pressing/pounding headsets in and out of the headtube? They should be threaded like BB...
    I was going to agree, but I remembered the newest thing is 30mm bb with press in cups. I think it all has to do with radial versus side load. That's why they don't use threads on a headset.

Big Boned
    Actually, the opposite is true. BB bearings should be press-fit. It eliminates the need for external cups, and press-fit bearings don't come loose like threaded pieces can. And the trend is moving in that direction with the new designs like the Cannondale BB30. Threads are fragile little things, lots of perfectly good frames have died young due to seized BB's and stripped threads. And imagine if your headset cups came loose and developed play mid-ride like BB shells often do -- that'd trash your head tube in a hurry.

I wish someone would manufacture an affordable kit for tapping and facing. Them things is too dang pricey.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I wish someone would manufacture an affordable kit for tapping and facing. Them things is too dang pricey.
    Ok, even though it has nothing to do with developing anything new, I wish there was a law that forced all frame manufacturers to face their head tubes, bb and disc mounts prior to shipping them. And they had to do a good job of it, too.

I think I would work on mating the carbon belt drive to a lighter weight internal geared hub. I think they do this now with Rollhoffs but I'm not sure, and those hubs are heavy.

feel the Force
    Do you work for Trek? lol. Cause I've often wondered about their R&D. Sounds like fishing to me...haha.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Ok, even though it has nothing to do with developing anything new, I wish there was a law that forced all frame manufacturers to face their head tubes, bb and disc mounts prior to shipping them. And they had to do a good job of it, too.
    +1 on that.

Maybe Obama will tackle that after he fixes the BCS.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Didn't head sets used to be threaded? I'm pretty sure they sucked, and needed constant tightening, and /or re-threading.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Do you work for Trek? lol. Cause I've often wondered about their R&D. Sounds like fishing to me...haha.
    No, was just looking at a mag featuring interbike and thought, "Some of these new designs are good but a lot are really worthless." Made me wonder what I would come up with if I had the opportunity. While I get it that the manufacturers have to produce new selling points, there are really not that many innovations.

mtbr member
    Ok, I concede on the threaded headset idea... how about a 14mm thru axle, you know, for even less weight on the axle?
    This won't hurt a bit...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    snake gaiters that fully enclose the shoe and better sunrags for the head and arms.

feel the Force
    No, was just looking at a mag featuring interbike and thought, "Some of these new designs are good but a lot are really worthless." Made me wonder what I would come up with if I had the opportunity. While I get it that the manufacturers have to produce new selling points, there are really not that many innovations.
    Yeah, It's a big risk to bring a truly innovative product to the market. The really innovative stuff takes years to see a ROI, so the big companies are nervous about doing it. Especially now when budgets are tighter.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Thread Terrorist
    My god... I hope Santa cruz and Specialized are reading this!!!

I haven't found the perfect DH bike yet. However, I have speculated that bliss would be:

A specialized Demo 8 with a VPP (V10) rear end. The fit, feel, HA and length on the Demo is awesome, but the rear suspension is garbage. A DH bike should have a rear-ward axle path that soaks up bumps in the X direction as the Y direction. I minored in Physics, and it only makes sense (especially on DH bikes). This is why the V10 goes faster through rock gardens and the Demo comes to a halt. However, the V10 needs to be lengthened just a tad with a HA that isn't so freakin' steep!

That would be heaven, IMHO.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Ok, I concede on the threaded headset idea... how about a 14mm thru axle, you know, for even less weight on the axle?
    ahhh.... the 15mm marketing ploy...

15mm: For XC riders that won't admit to their sh!tty fork but don't have to admit that DH forks are far superior.

Yes, we can undercut the 15mm market by introducing 13.5 (gotta have it in an odd size) thru axle. oh, perhaps we should make it bolt on with titanium nuts!

I wish I had titanium nuts... I'd be a whole lot more bold.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    My god... I hope Santa cruz and Specialized are reading this!!!

I haven't found the perfect DH bike yet. However, I have speculated that bliss would be:

A specialized Demo 8 with a VPP (V10) rear end. The fit, feel, HA and length on the Demo is awesome, but the rear suspension is garbage. A DH bike should have a rear-ward axle path that soaks up bumps in the X direction as the Y direction. I minored in Physics, and it only makes sense (especially on DH bikes). This is why the V10 goes faster through rock gardens and the Demo comes to a halt. However, the V10 needs to be lengthened just a tad with a HA that isn't so freakin' steep!

That would be heaven, IMHO.
    If Schnauzers can get a someone to make a ti 575, then you could get your design made. Just remember that others want to use the V10 for XC rides (Weir), and that means a steepish HA.

Thread Terrorist
    If Schnauzers can get a someone to make a ti 575, then you could get your design made. Just remember that others want to use the V10 for XC rides (Weir), and that means a steepish HA.
    yeah, well... if I had that kind of cash laying around.....
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How 'bout suspension pivots that have flexible members instead of bearings. No friction, no maintenance, no grease, no squeak, and less weight. Yeti has it on one of their designs, but it barely flexes.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by godaddygo
    How 'bout suspension pivots that have flexible members instead of bearings. No friction, no maintenance, no grease, no squeak, and less weight. Yeti has it on one of their designs, but it barely flexes.
    They call it Titanium.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park