Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Misses elastomer shocks

What ever happened to log crossings?

Are they just an East Coast thing? I've lived here for 3 years now and I think I've ridden over a total of 3 logs, and those where made easier by a bunch of other logs stacked up to them to form a pyramid. I don't get it. Am I on the wrong trails? Have trails become so well groomed that obstacles are all put there on purpose? Are we seeing the watering down of our sport? Am I just on a rant? Why is the sky blue? Why does my boss keep walking by when I'm trying to type this important post? Alt+tab.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You are just on a rant.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    East coast = big hardwood trees
    Rocky Mountains = smallish pine trees that are easy to cut with a folding saw

I saw about a hundred fallen trees on my ride last night (about 15 of which were across the trail). I moved the ones that I could off the trail, but since it's a trail through a rich subdivision, I figure it's best to let their maintenance folk deal with the deadfall.

mtbr member
    Ride in the high mountains in the fall after a big storm and you won't be wishing any longer.

I rode the doctor park area last fall and there were probably 10 different areas within about that many miles where massive trees were all blown down and across the trail.

Your bike is incorrigible
    You'll never find logs here the same way you find logs on the east coast. I, too, have been jonesing for some decent logs, even making some crossings in the little park by the house. It's just not the same as getting 20" oak. It's the same with stream crossings on handbuilt log bridges. There isn't a need here.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Yeah, you're just in the wrong part of the world, riding-wise, to have tons of log overs and log rides. I moved out east three years ago - no shortage here!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Try Stevens Gulch early this year. I'll bet you'll change your tune.

mtbr member
    Yup, moved here 18 months ago from the mid-atlantic and my log riding skills are quickly deteriorating. Just different trees, different conditions. One of my regular riding spots back east had some big logs...I never took any pics but here's one Google found for me, and this is pretty nicely ramped, some of them are barely ramped at all.

On the other hand, there's way more loose rocky stuff here than you find back east. Not to mention the long climbs and altitude.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Log crossings

I'm from the East as well. I just said the other day how I miss the logs. I think one of the reasons is that most of the trails here are multi use. They are used for hiking, horse back riding, mountain biking, running, etc. Someone is bound to clear the log. Try riding Sourdough. Some of the logs are made easier with others, but they are still fun. If you ride from the Sourdough parking lot to Brainard Lake, I think there are 5 of them. At least 4. I don't remember exactly. You can't ride it now though. It starts at 9,200 feet and goes up to over 10,300 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy
    I'm from the East as well. I just said the other day how I miss the logs. I think one of the reasons is that most of the trails here are multi use. They are used for hiking, horse back riding, mountain biking, running, etc. Someone is bound to clear the log.
    I don't think so because where I used to ride in CT was multi use, and they had more logs than you could imagine. Used to see horses too. I think it just has to do with the fact that there are actually some trees in the east.

The other thing I miss is the granite boulders with ramps made from old stone walls. Sure, you can go out to Moab and ride yourself sick on slickrock, but there is something to all the little boulder rides scattered in the forests in the east.

mtbr member
    Wow, with all these people having tons of log riding skillz, you'd think more people would be good at doing them.

ZING!

In all serious-ness, you have to go out to the back woods to discover those simple delights. Front Range trails just ain't gonna have them for reasons already posted.

Oh and logs piled up in a pyramid makes a great jump.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka

The other thing I miss is the granite boulders with ramps made from old stone walls. Sure, you can go out to Moab and ride yourself sick on slickrock, but there is something to all the little boulder rides scattered in the forests in the east.
    Hmmm... Buff Crik Black Diamond Trail?

Misses elastomer shocks
    maybe i should take a trip back east for a week. i hear the west virginia fat tire festival calling my name. roots, rocks, logs, mud, trees with leaves. mmmmm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suprcivic
    maybe i should take a trip back east for a week. i hear the west virginia fat tire festival calling my name. roots, rocks, logs, mud, trees with leaves. mmmmm.

I spent last summer in PA. I miss Blue Marsh 30miles and no sunscreen.

Goat of Legend
    I miss the log hopping as well. Early spring usually brings a few on the CT.

Otherwise here is one of many of yours truly hopping logs on the east coast

Hopping logs on Butter

For the fella above who thinks the east coast has no elevation gain..TheGoat Ride 2006 had over 10,000 ft of accumilated climbing in 45 miles. Lots of hike a bike and some wicked singletrack descents.

Misses elastomer shocks
    nothing better than coming up on a 2 foot tall log with a bunch of chainring marks on it. front wheel up, chainring on to pedal stand, back wheel up and over, pray.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hmmm... Buff Crik Black Diamond Trail?
    Nah, it's just not the same. On the east coast you get these boulders that are just big enough to play on scattered in the woods. People go out there and create rides on them, stack up rocks to make ramps or build really tenuous ladder bridges (the one thing I could do without). It becomes this playground.

Oh, the last thing I miss is the smell of the dirt. You don't get that in the west.

Of course, you don't get 95 degrees and 90% humidity or four weeks of solid rain, either.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    nothing better than coming up on a 2 foot tall log with a bunch of chainring marks on it. front wheel up, chainring on to pedal stand, back wheel up and over, pray.
    Yeah, but those big chain rings are expensive.

not actually bad :)
    Looks like bacon boy is trying to be kinder and gentler these days?
    I'll take up the slack for him.

Why don't you guys all just move back east if it's so great?

It'll create that much less traffic for the rest of us.

And for those with broken sarcasm meters:

LOLZ

J/K
    and all that good stuff
    Old Codger

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    ......Of course, you don't get 95 degrees and 90% humidity or four weeks of solid rain, either.
    I'll never miss that!
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

skillz to pay billz
    there's some fun ones on sourdough.

mtbr member
    It's the type of vegitation.

Upper midwest there were lots of logs, N and S Carolina, lots of logs. Houston area, lots of logs. I can't recall any in AZ, NM or CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Riding is great here. You have to know where to go.

When I first moved here I thought it was better where I came from. Now I feel blessed that I am able to ride all the different types of terrain in different parts of the country. It's all good. You just have to know where to go to find what you like.
    Go talk to Dave at Redstone in Lyons. He is like a human MTB map. He can lead you in the right direction. For me riding around Sourdough and Camp Dick and that whole area is wonderful. I like riding in the Forest. You find all kinds of good stuff to ride over around and through.

Thread Terrorist
    You pansies. Go over it trials style (with a rear wheel hop), or just bunny hop the whole thing!

...now, to do as I preach with out a trip to the ER
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Looks like bacon boy is trying to be kinder and gentler these days?
    I'll take up the slack for him.

Why don't you guys all just move back east if it's so great?
    You bahstid. I was building up to it.

Fvckin' Easterners...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast