Stiff yet compliant

What do you ride at the resorts?

For a while now I have been wanting to take advantage of some of the lift assisted fun we have available here in Colorado. The only thing that has really held me back is the need for another bike as nothing I currently have is really appropriate.
    I think I am finally going to go ahead and do it next season.
    However I can't really justify the cost of an 8" downhill bike that will see a limited amount of use during the summer. Will something a little more versatile handle the biggest stuff at Key/WP/Sol?
    I was thinking along the lines of Santa Cruz Bullit, Specialized Sx trail, Giant Reign X, etc.

In other words.
    How many inches is Kaba Klaus wielding in this picture?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    One option you could consider is what I did.

I picked up a second hand downhill bike from Craigslist last year and rode it for the last part of the season. Then before the start of this summer I upgraded parts on it. It worked out great and was much cheaper than jumping straight into the deep end.

You need to be pretty confident of your ability to look at a bike and decide whether it is in good shape. I picked up an Intense M1 with it's original components for $1100 last year. I replaced the wheels, fork, rear cassette and rear deraileur this year and now it rides as good as most of the new bikes I could have gotten.

I recently got an old V10 from ebay for my Wife as well that was a similarly excellent deal.

It takes longer to find a deal that is good and that looks low risk (particularly if you are using ebay). But you have the fall/winter and spring to find that perfect deal for yourself.

I have a 5.5" rear bike that I use for all my other riding and have taken it to keystone as well, but it so much more fun up there on a true downhill rig (at least for me anyway).

Just another option to consider.

Living the High Life
    I saw a guy racing the DH course last weekend on a Nomad. The Reign X would work too.

But honestly, as most gear junkies say, there is no replacement for displacement. But if you only have to own 1 bike, the Reign X would be my choice.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    My son buttered that on his hardtail with a Pike. It's not a question of how much suspension you need, it's how much you want.

I think a burly slopestyle bike (like the ubiquitous Bottlerocket) would give you everything you want for Keystone and beyond. Only if you're going to race DH might you want more.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

e-misanthrope
    Here's the perfect resort bike for ya, and at a killer price - did I mention that it's local?

http://tinyurl.com/3bk9q9

If that doesn't do it for you, you might look at a Reign, a Bottlerocket, an SXT - or some other such stout, medium travel bike. I personally think you only need >6" if you're bent on going as fast as possible over nasty stuff - jumps and drops don't require tons of travel.
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    It's not a question of how much suspension you need, it's how much you want.
    That's an accurate statement. IMO, geometry is more important than travel, yet travel seems to be the first feature a buyer looks at in a bike. Why is that?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    I got a morrow master 163 from like 1997 that I ride to this day. nice board.

Living the High Life
    One of my friends did the DH course on his Bottle Rocket last weekend instead of his Sunday. He didn't like it as much in some places, better in others. The BR jumped better, but didn't do as well over the rocks.

Frame size and geometry are more important. I switched from a medium Huckster to a large Faith and I think the biggest improvement was the size, not so much the head angle (with the link flipped on the Faith its more like 65.5 instead of 67) the Huckster had 66.5. The Huckster jumped better, but the Faith is far better over the 3 step.

Hey there lizard, why are you selling the Demo, for house fixes as mentioned? Are you going to build a new bike next spring?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

e-misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu

Hey there lizard, why are you selling the Demo, for house fixes as mentioned? Are you going to build a new bike next spring?
    I won't be racing the entire series next year, as I need to focus my energy on getting moved up to our land (which needs a house on it first). I will be throwing together my new Nicolai - thanks, Graeson - ASAP, I just need to free up some funds before I can pick up the last few bits for it.

Basically, I just want something with a bit less travel so I can ride Palmer / DR AND Sol Vista / Keystone. 8" dumbs things down too much unless you're using it solely for racing - IMO...
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

skillz to pay billz
    wt?
    Last edited by nOOby; 09-05-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Thread Terrorist
    Go to Velo swap, get yourself a 1500 VPFree. Ride it.

Besides, there are other places to shuttle when the lifts shut down... You can always shuttle Apex, Chimney, Mt Falcon, WR..... (I"M KIDDING).

Seriously, you can get more miles out of larger bike than you think. There's always Urban, Jibbing, SkateParks, Pawnee Grasslands, Bandit trails, and the occasional "Watch this" area.

Stiff yet compliant
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    A used DH bike is not out of the question, I was thinking an all arounder would be nice to keep down the size of my stable. I already have 5 bikes in my garage and if I add many more my wife may start to get suspicious.
    The Transitions look very nice. I may have to add the Bottlerocket and Dirtbag to my list for consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    That's an accurate statement. IMO, geometry is more important than travel, yet travel seems to be the first feature a buyer looks at in a bike. Why is that?
    I am certainly not one overly obsessed with travel. I do my trail riding on a hardtail with a 4inch fork and have never felt like I needed more.
    Getting the right geometry is a given. However geometry doesn't let a bike absorb energy from a landing, suspension does.

trail waggler

SX Trail works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Specialized Sx trail,
    Built one up last winter, it's my trail bike. It has a 66 up front, climbs well, and is incredibly fun coming down!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member

Answer to the question: 200/215

Or about 8 in the front 8.5 in the back... I am sure you can do a lot more than I with less travel. But I decided to go big this year and I have to admit that I did blow through all my travel (bottomed out) a few times. I make up for my lack of skills with travel.