Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shread Ready

What to do if a Bike shop damages bike while in for maintenance?

I just took my bike up to my LBS where I bought it for a simple brake bleed and to check for creaking I thought was coming from my bottom bracket. After going to pick it up I'm doing my usual routine of putting it in my car and noticed they a bolt was missing on the rear where the tire goes in because the whole hinged area starting coming off!! I thought it was just missing but the shop tech informed me it broke off inside the threading!! I'm 100% certain it WAS NOT like this before bringing it in because I just did my spring overhaul and swapped tires,etc. And I didn't go on any rides before taking it up to them. So, needless to say this is seriously pissing me off since this is my best/newest bike and they might of caused some serious damage! I bought the bike from them in 08 but since they aren't a specialized dealer anymore they seem to act like they don't take pride in servicing the bike anymore which is annoying since it's lifetime free bike checks,etc.

So, I explained quite clearly that it was not like this previous to bringing it in and I may be looking at a seriously damaged bike. I won't know until they call me so I'm quite upset. Thx for any suggestions on how to approach this. This is a big bike chain store and I'm flipping steamed.

mtbr member
    the best advice i can give is try to keep your cool and speak with the manager. hopefully you're able to work something out. it's your word against the mechanic's and i hope they're honest.
    Last edited by Eric Z; 04-29-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Shread Ready
    Alright, that LBS sucks my balls and that's all I've got to say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    if they dont make it right i would suggest you post up the info to the boards, there are a lot of bike shop options and everyone should know who the winner and the losers are
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    Post the shop name if you don't get satisfaction, for the sake of your fellow riders who do not do their own service.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oh, So Interesting!
    post a pic of the problem, I can't tell what's going on from your description.

If we're talking a broken sus bolt, I'm not sure it's fair to blame the shop. What could he have possibly done to break a bolt on a part he's not even working on? It's far more likely it fatigued and cracked due to you riding it.

I used to have an auto shop, this kind of thing happens all the time. Lots of things can be wrong with a car when it gets dropped off that the owner doesn't know about.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Get in touch with a specialized rep- my issue was resolved and even upgraded at no cost to me. That was through wheatridge cyclery back when i rode those kind of bikes.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a bleed kit, a few wrenches, and some grease. Fix that stuff yourself.

If you follow directions, you'll save $$ in the long run and you'll do a better job than the pimply face mechanic at the big box bike store.

Oh, and I bet the broken bolt was the source of creaking before you took it in...

Yappy little dog!
    I'm going to take a guess here...

I think your bolt was probably pretty worn and ready for failure. An '08 with a lot of riding probably was pretty stressful. The final nail in the coffin was when they put it on the rack. That put the wheel off the ground and gravity to stress the bolt even further. Snap.

Is it their fault? Not really. Should they have said something? Yes. Should they have offered to at least help fix it, yes.

Bike Ninja |||
    Consult the Service Manager, or Store Manager of the Bicycle Village where you took it in the first place.

If they cannot resolve the issue, then bring it in to me at Mojo Wheels. We have specialized service parts for days, and can readily fix your problem competently.

~Nick
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Consult the Service Manager, or Store Manager of the Bicycle Village where you took it in the first place.

If they cannot resolve the issue, then bring it in to me at Mojo Wheels. We have specialized service parts for days, and can readily fix your problem competently.

~Nick
    This..... you cant go wrong with mojos and nick and mike can fix anything.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113

I used to have an auto shop, this kind of thing happens all the time. Lots of things can be wrong with a car when it gets dropped off that the owner doesn't know about.

True but a bike is not a car, it only takes a couple minutes for the mechanic to spot just about any possible problem on the bike where with a car thngs can hide much better. The shop should have seen the broken bolt when they were working on it and called the OP to tell him about it. I'm not saying they necessarily caused it but a good mechanic would have caught it before letting the customer ride out with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    my immediate reaction also was that it had to be BV

Thread Terrorist
    Gihad
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Shread Ready

Bicycle Village in Westminster

[rant]YO! I wasn't expecting these responses. Basically, it was the derailleur hanger bolt that was broke. They put a new hanger on and I don't believe any damage was done to threading. I don't think theirs any threading in the derailleur hanger bolt hole?? Correct? The shop mechanic I was working with was blowing smoke up my arse and didn't treat me with much respect whatsoever. Whenever I asked a question like how often should you bleed brakes,etc.. He would just say it depends blah/blah/blah. And like I mentioned I'm 100% sure the bolt was fine previous to bringing it in. I certainly would have noticed this when I put the tire on to bring it in and like I mentioned I just went over the whole bike and this would of been obvious. Sure, it's possible it might of happened by accident while they were working on this but they should have noticed! They charged me $25 for the brake bleed and $10 to try and fix the "creak".. Well, they tech called and said your bikes done and I don't notice any creak at all, the BB is nice and tight. So, when I picked it up I asked what he checked and if I still had to pay the $10 for the creak issue. He said yes I troubleshooted that and took off your BB and inspected it. I asked if it was greased up good since they installed the cranks a year ago and he just replied yes it was fine. I know for a fact he didn't take that off.. And to top it off I had to go there 3 times within 1 hour because of all this BS. After all was said and done I don't even think he bleed the brake!! Because as soon as I got home the brake hit the handle bar like it was doing previously. I took it for a very short cruise and I didn't even need to peddle hard at all to hear the creak! It's very easy to hear and should be pretty easy to determine where it's coming from! Again, the tech just blew more smoke on this issue saying just take all pivot points apart and lube them ,etc.. BS! I have a Kona Dawg I've ridden to hell and back since 05 and it doesn't creak like this on pivots. And, when/if it does I'll put a little teflon lube on the rubber pivots and it's good2go. Not to mention the creak is only when I'm peddling,etc. Needlesstosay, I went back to the shop and demanded a refund and will never go back. I don't appreciate being lied to and spending my time and money to make my bike worse!

Either way, Bicycle Village in Westminster has treated me like crap and I have no intention of dealing with them ever again. As an example, on my Spec Pitch I had an issue where the front derailleur wouldn't quite shift down to my lowest gear without a little help if at all. I had a narrow margin between the derailleur and my tire so it was a fine adjustment that needed to be done to allow it to shift into my smallest cog gear without rubbing the tire on the derailleur.. Well, I spent months going back to the Westminster shop trying to get this fixed and all they would do is throw BS excuses.... Like, the tire is too wide... Well, bubba.... That's the same damn tires that came on the bike and the only difference is I went tubeless..

Ok/ok... So, after trying to get Westminster BV to fix the derailleur issue for months I decided to go to BV in Boulder. I go in and immediately feel better about their tech because he was treating me with respect and not like some nuisance. He immediately noticed that he could adjust the front derailleur to prevent this from happening anymore.. I was blown away that I spent nearly the whole season dealing with Westminster BV only to have Boulder BV fix this issue first time... No Hassles! Is it too much to ask to want to have your rig dialed in??? Trust me, I certainly wish I had the tools and time to do all this myself. It would be much more gratifying! So, I'm going to go and talk with BV in Boulder and see if they can fix my current issues. [/rant]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you spent less time driving around to every Bicycle Village in the state, you'd have plenty of time to do your own maintenance.

You could take a spelling lesson too... It's "pedaling"!!!

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    If you spent less time driving around to every Bicycle Village in the state, you'd have plenty of time to do your own maintenance.

You could take a spelling lesson too... It's "pedaling"!!!
    Ok, thanks for being a grammarian. I didn't know I was being critiqued on my spelling as I was ranting. Sorry boss man.

mtbr member
    Hey man, that Bicycle Village in Westminster is the reason I learned how to do my own maintenance. I also guessed it was them before anyone said anything. I took my bike to them when I first moved here and I didn't know any better. They seriously botched some obvious stuff. I'm sure there's a reason they're not a speshy dealer anymore. I only go in there when I need some small stuff in a pinch. For everything else I drive up to Dave at Redstone. Long haul, but he's always treated me well.

As far as maintenance goes though, nobody is ever going to be as anal as you are when it comes to getting everything dialed in perfectly. Even the best shops don't always have the kind of time it takes to get everything perfect. Learning to do it yourself pays for itself many times over. You save money, and you know your rig is just right, without having to worry about what kind of job someone else did on it.

If that shop is local, I'm in your area. Let me know the next time you have a problem. Depending on what it is, I'll help you out and show you how to do that stuff yourself. I was a complete noob when it came to bike maintenance at one point, but now I do all my own work besides suspension overhaul and a few of those rare once in a blue moon things where it doesn't make sense for me to buy the tool to do it. Also, check out the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. They break most things down pretty well in that book.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Hey man, that Bicycle Village in Westminster is the reason I learned how to do my own maintenance. It was when I first moved here and I didn't know any better. They seriously botched some obvious stuff. I'm sure there's a reason they're not a speshy dealer anymore. I only go in there when I need some small stuff in a pinch. For everything else I drive up to Dave at Redstone. Long haul, but he's always treated me well.

If that shop is local, I'm in your area. Let me know the next time you have a problem. Depending on what it is, I'll help you out and show you how to do that stuff yourself. Also, check out the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair. They break some of that stuff down pretty well in that book.
    Cool. Thanks a lot man. Appreciate that. It's funny because when I raced BMX as a kid I was more mechanically inclined back then! I would grease hubs and even did a headset. I need to start getting back into being as self-sufficient as I can when it comes to maintenance. I know Full Cycle in Boulder does free maintenance classes so I might hit one of those up. I'll hit you up sometime or Dave. Always good to have a few reputable shops to consult with. I would hit up Mojo but they are way out south. I'll also look into that book. I was watching some youtube howto videos on rear cassette cartridge removal and it seems quite easy but then I realized I would have to invest about $20-$40 in tools to remove the cassette. Kinda defeated that when I was quoted only $5-$10 for the install.

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1

As far as maintenance goes though, nobody is ever going to be as anal as you are when it comes to getting everything dialed in perfectly.

Funny, Nick & Mike are WAY more picky about my bike than I will ever be! Threads like this make me happy that I bring my stuff to them!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Try out Dave at Redstone, or Salvagettis, or Golden Bike Shop. Ive heard good things about Mojo but ive never taken my bike there. Stick to these guys and you should be frustration free.

Shread Ready
    Thanks for more suggestions. I'll look into these shops for future needs. I'll admit I am pretty finicky when it comes to having my rigs dialed in. It sure does make for a better ride out on the trails. Either way, no real harsh feelings about this whole ordeal since my bike seems fine even though I haven't had a chance to ride since they put the new hanger on. I'll still need the brake fixed and the creak looked into. I went there a lot over the years and I did a have a few decent techs help me so it wasn't all bad.
    Last edited by Thrasher; 04-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    So you get free lifetime adjustments at BV - do you realize what that means to their business? It means that they don't value service, and they don't pay their techs anywhere close to the other area shops. This means that most (not all) techs that are worth their weight have moved on to more legitimate shops that respect both their employees and customers. BV had a very contentious falling-out with Specialized - I don't blame them for their bitterness, though they should try to separate that from their customers.

A $25 brake bleed is a great deal - and it doesn't necessarily take care of a bad master cylinder or kinked hose or stuck piston. Those are things that a more experienced tech may pick up during a bleed, but often those issues will require more diagnosis. If the tech didn't know you were having an issue and just bled it for the sake of maintenance, it would be easy to overlook a subtle problem.

Your tubeless tire IS bigger than when it had tubes - they stretch more and likely did get closer to the derailleur once you did the conversion. Some stuff just doesn't fit together and there are sometimes compromises to be made.

Most FS bikes require a full breakdown at least once per year. If you have original bolts from '08 it was long overdue that something was going to break. Unfortunately it happened under the shops watch.

It is time to find a better shop, learn to wrench on your own stuff (Good idea to follow through on the Full Cycle class), and start doing more regular maintenance on your frame.
    Make sure you clearly communicate your needs and expectations when you take your bike in for service and that the service writer clearly notes those comments. Have them read back their notes to the technician so you're both on the same page.

I managed a shop for years, but am on the outside now and I feel for both parties. Finding a good shop that can understand where you're coming from and matches your needs it important, but you also need to understand that a good shop will charge good money for their services. That is how they pay rent, keep good techs, stock the parts you need, and give back to the cycling community. If there is a .5% profit left over at the end of the year, maybe the owner can take a vacation or buy a new bike. It's a tough business and we all just want to enjoy riding our bikes as much as possible.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Dude, You brought your bike in for a brake bleed and to check the BB and then you accuse THEM of breaking off your derailleur hanger bolt??? What makes you think they would be doing anything there that would cause that? Perhaps you did it and didn't notice it. (And yes, the hanger bolt IS threaded, that's why they call it a bolt.)

And how do you know they didn't remove and reinstall your BB?

Creaks are hard to isolate - they can be BB, seatpost, pedals, pivot points on the frame, any number of things. $10 for checking your BB (which you asked them to do) isn't unreasonable.

RE: the brake bleed, it should be nice and tight after the bleed. It sounds like it was not done correctly if the lever is still hitting the bar. But you didn't check this at the shop before you too the bike home? That would be the time to call them on it.

Shread Ready
    Very well stated vwvoodoo. I didn't real think about the pay issue your mentioning and am not sure about that. I'd imagine a good tech can get paid good. I'm not certain about what happened with the Specialized fallout but I was told they were supposed to carry a certain amount of inventory and weren't meeting those needs or something? It was an unfortunate fallout that occurred shortly after I bought my bike. I fully agree they should remain loyal on the life time tune-ups,etc without issue. I'm not sure if $25 is a good deal for a single brake bleed but figured it was about average.

I'd be willing to pay a little bit more for service to insure things are done right the first time but I do usually like a good deal. I fully agree that the issue needs to be properly explained and notes taken for the tech working on the bike especially since it was going to be days later that I would pick it up. I made sure to explain the issue well but looking at the original receipt it just shows bleed brake and check for creaking. I asked what would cause the brake to occasionally not engage correctly and almost hit the grip when I dropped it the bike off. I asked if it was air or something else? I want to explain the issue so it's fixed. Much better notes could have been taken by the receiving tech in this case.

I did have my Kona Overhauled once since 05 with all the pivot points,etc. I'm not sure how often it should be done but every 2-3 seasons should suffice IMO. I plan to become more efficient working on my bikes and invest in a few more bike tools. And, dirtyjack. I'm too damn tired to explain more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast