mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What to buy?? Moving to Colorado Springs

Hi all, Im moving to Colorado Springs soon and I think I may need a new bike. Right now I have a specialized Hardtail and want to get a FS but not sure what to get. Living in that area what do you guys think? BTW, I want to stay in the $1500.00 range.

Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Depending on what style and type of terrain you enjoy, the hardtail could be perfectly fine. You might want to move here first, get some riding in and then decide on what type of bike you want. We have lots of varied terrain but nothing that demands a big hittin' rig on a regular basis, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That's kinda what I was thinking. I know I want to get more jumps in. Most of the trails I have been looking at look pretty rough. Section 16 look great and I think my hardtail may not agree with that one lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Depending on your riding style, the 5-6" bikes work well here. I prefer to ride full suspension here because there are a lot of rocks. Wheel size is up to you.

You will see many 6" bikes riding XC as well as at Trestle.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    $1500 FS ????

(Manitou) Section 16 "easy"? You mean Red Rocks ?

You would be wise to be patient and move here first before deciding because I think you are confused on some things...

Twin Six METAL Team
    Give your HT a shot first. You might be surprised that it works just fine. I can't think of anything here in town that NEEDS a FS. With that being said though, I'm sure some of the guys (or girls) could show you the way to some nasty stuff!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Give your HT a shot first. You might be surprised that it works just fine. I can't think of anything here in town that NEEDS a FS. With that being said though, I'm sure some of the guys (or girls) could show you the way to some nasty stuff!
    Agreed. After riding a bit in the area, you may find that you prefer to add a full suspension bike to your stable. Both is better :-)
    baker

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    An AR-15 CO Springs is a VERY pro gun town. Ohh wait thats not what you're talking about right? Anyhow, good info for you hehehe

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think riding a FS or hardtail is more about HOW you like to ride, not where. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but most of the trails out here you can ride either and be happy depending on your riding style. That said, I ride a 6 inch FS but it's preference not need.

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    I agree with Ryan12210. The terrains in the Springs is very diverse and your riding style can determine the type of bike you "want", not need. I also ride a FS bike with 5 inch travel, but I love hitting the drops, rocky techie stuff. My main riding partner not much into drops and is more careful in the techie areas, he rides a HT w/out any problems.

Just bring your bike into town, hit the trails the reminder of the riding season and see how you like it.

Also, in the 1500 range, I would suggest you save up for something in the next bracket for FS.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    All I know is when I first started riding I spend roughly $1,200 on a FS. The bike lasted me one year before it was shot and I needed to spend the same amount it cost or more to get it up to par. IMO you might actually save some money if you save up and buy a better quality FS bike, instead of spending dough every month for new components for a bike where they keep breaking.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    $1500 for a decent 5" FS is doable. Used or last year's model languishing on some LBS's floor. Riders who decide they need to "upgrade" always find that they need to price the bike they're selling low, then accept half of that. You, the buyer, are the winner!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    $1500 for a decent 5" FS is doable. Used or last year's model languishing on some LBS's floor
    Craigslist in Denver and in Colorado Springs has a cornucopia of used mountain bikes. Seriously, there are numerous nice bikes listed for reasonable prices all the time. Wait till you get here and then look at the listings and you will find something in your price range that will work for you. I've bought my last 3 bikes off Craigslist and have been delighted with them, and with the prices I paid.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I spent a month in Colorado Springs last year, riding just about every day. I rode areas such as Palmer Park, Red Rock Canyon, and Cheyenne Mountain. I was on my '09 Giant Anthem X1, and it did quite well. I would really have like to be on a bike with a little bit more travel like a Stumpjumper FSR, but I didn't feel like it was a necessity. Red Rock Canyon was definitely my favorite ride, especially during the weekday when traffic is low.

FWIW, my wife was riding a hardtail, and she did fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll echo those that say wait and experience the area prior to deciding 'if and what' to buy. I had bought a new 120mm FS bike prior to moving to CO a few years ago from OR. The trails here are much more technical than I was used to and I became concerned as to whether I had enough travel. The more I rode, the more I realized that my bike wasn't the limiting factor; just my skill level on the more technical trails. Lots of HT riders in the area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hope this isn't spam, sorry if it is, but it's relevant to the OP. I have a really nice bike, perfect for the riding around here, all the bells and whistles, at a damn good price.
    Price Reduced for quick sale- Intense Tracer VP

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    Hope this isn't spam, sorry if it is, but it's relevant to the OP. I have a really nice bike, perfect for the riding around here, all the bells and whistles, at a damn good price.
    Intense Tracer VP - Fscked up URL
    The general mtbr rule is that you buy a $2 mtbr classified ad, then you can post a link to it. Otherwise it's spam. The moderators may pull it down. If you want to back up and follow the rules, buy the classified ad and edit your post to use a link to the mtbr classified ad rather than CL.

And incidentally, in the last several years since eBay became such a sh!tshow, I have found mtbr classifieds to be the best venue for selling stuff. Craigslist is great if you can actually find a local buyer, then you can just meet somewhere and hand over the goods rather than shipping it (I find the bulkier and heavier the stuff I'm selling, the further away my buyer turns out to be).

But if you need to make it go away and turn into $$, and craigslist isn't bringing you the love, mtbr classifieds are a damned good value. The $2 is less than your paypal fee will be.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank guys! Right now I do a lot of XC races and my HT works great however, once I get to Colorado I would like to get in to more technical stuff. I want to focus less on over all lap time and more on big jumps and drops. Not sure if there is anything in the area that will allow it but I'm hope I can find it. As far as my riding style I guess that sums it up. I want a bike that will not hinder me from trying anything new I come across in the springs or surrounding area. I can go up to $2500 but I wanted to find a used FS bike for $1500 or so and be able to put another $600 to $800 in in to tailor it to my riding style. I guess I'm hoping I'll need a new specialized demo!(will pay the extra $ if I can use it) Really want to face some really rough trails.

Resident Gear Head
    Oh there are definitely plenty of rough trails in the springs
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying