Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008

What bike for the Front Range?

Okay so I know I'm gonna get a million different responses to this question... but what would you choose as an all around bike for the front range? The reason I'm asking is because I will be coming out to Boulder for school next year, and my current hardtail is looking like its nearing the end of its life, or at least like it may be retired to a more gentle use. I'm thinking that a slightly more burly hardtail would probably do the trick. I love the idea of the Santa Cruz Chameleon, and maybe a 120mm fox or something, but things would start to get pricey at that point. I was also looking at (lets keep the flaming to a minimum) a Motobecane Fantom Pro Ti, reviews are favorable and it is well spec'd.

So am I headed in the right direction with the hardtail idea? or would a F/S be the way to go? any specific suggestions either way? Oh and my budget is about $1500, I'm 145lbs, and I would like to think of myself as a fairly aggressive rider (love to jump everything, etc)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Full suspension -- 4-5.5 inches

Rigid in Evergreen
    There is no wrong answer... you'll see people pedaling anything from SS rigid 29'ers with carbon forks to 7" full suspension rigs.

But yeah, FS 4-5.5 inches is a pretty good choice if you plan on doing both kinds of riding (up and down), for $1500'ish, maybe a Giant Trance X3 or X4.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    If I only had one bike here, I would want FS. I see a lot of Giants here, and that X4 looks like a really good deal.The X3 is definitely worth the extra $$$, if you can swing it.

I have a Motobecane 29 ProSL, but I would not buy a FS bike from them. Haven't ridden one, but I imagine they don't put a ton of money into suspension engineering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My 2007 medium Superlight. It's on Craigslist. Is that spam?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    My 2007 medium Superlight. It's on Craigslist. Is that spam?
    could be, but its obviously not great for the front range if youre selling it just kidding, my dad has a superlight and its a nice bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek7000rider
    could be, but its obviously not great for the front range if youre selling it just kidding, my dad has a superlight and its a nice bike
    Don't assume just because somebody is selling a bike there's something wrong with it. The Superlight is a perfect bike for this area. I'm still rehabbing an injury and am getting tired of seeing it going unridden. (crashed on another bike).
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Misses elastomer shocks
    which tires should he put on it?

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Don't assume just because somebody is selling a bike there's something wrong with it. The Superlight is a perfect bike for this area. I'm still rehabbing an injury and am getting tired of seeing it going unridden. (crashed on another bike).
    ahaha dude i was just joking, I know its a good bike, like i said my dad has one and ive ridden it a bit here in VA. not sure its what im looking for, but ill let you know if I decide that it is.

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suprcivic
    which tires should he put on it?
    good question. and on a side note, i test rode a cdale rz120 3 last night and pulled the trigger on a brand new rize 3 (warranty and all) this morning. $1650 shipped

mtbr member
    So: Will you change your name then? Trek7000rider becomes CdaleRizer?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    So: Will you change your name then? Trek7000rider becomes CdaleRizer?
    maybe. we shall see I still have to wait a few weeks to get my new toy though, so until then, I will be rocking my trek when I'm on dirt...